Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Urgent Assistance required with Amex 2-4-1 booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient

Urgent. Assistance required

I think I've messed things up.

I thought it was possible to change the date of the domestic connection on a 2-4-1 long haul Avios booking after the outbound is flown. I did this yesterday on a call to India and iI can see the revised flight together with ticket number for the domestic sector in MMB

I was charged 31250 Avios because it was changed from an off peak to a peak date and am also to be charged 102 being 1RFS fee, 35 change fee and 15 service charge x 2. No money charged or showing pending yet on Amex.

I don't want to change the long haul flight. I Just wanted to change the domestic sector date. In other words create a stopover

I am currently in Singapore and successfully checked in earlier for the BA12 flight to LHR for 2 April, and got email confirmation of check in.

However i subsequently received an email asking me to call BA and on checking my booking again I no longer see a ticket number against the SIN LHR flight.

Also is there any extra Avios to pay? I believe domestic sectors of longhaul Avios tickets are free. So i think India call centre has wrongly charged me.

So if possible to change I think it would only be 35 per passenger to amend?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You could call BA on the USA number.

My guess is that the credit card side hasn't gone through, maybe a CVV issue. But it could be a lot of things really. That said, it seems a bit expensive for a domestic sector change, it would presumably have been cheaper to pay cash.
AJA_ likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Tentative update. After I posted I received an updated e-ticket receipt by email which shows the revised itinerary and 2 flown and 2 confirmed bookings (long haul tonight and shorthaul as amended)

Also my credit card now shows the charges as pending. Avios were deducted yesterday.

Spoke to BA this morning on the Singapore number which I think connects to India and they confirmed all is OK.

Flight for tonight SIN-LHR still shows in the app together with my seat assigned and have an email confirming I checked in.

So shall head to the airport. Let's see whether I have problems. I hope not.
ttama and crazy8534 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That said, it seems a bit expensive for a domestic sector change, it would presumably have been cheaper to pay cash.
Or indeed a separate avios booking. My only thought why OP might have wanted to change the existing one is if they were checking bags and didnt want them tagged through on the original. But for that difference in price, I think Id have dealt with it at LHR!
Old Apr 2, 2024, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Hi. Sitting in the BA lounge at SIN successfully checked in for tonight's BA12 to LHR. The reason for the Avios increase is its 2 passengers and effectively re-priced the entire itinerary NCL-LHR-SIN-LHR-NCL in CE/CW from an offpeak price to a peak price. For some reason BA repriced the sector using maximum Avios and minimum cash.. Could it have been cheaper , most definitely, but not for cash, the fares they wanted were 326 each so 652. And it is a last minute change. So 'saved' 240 and have got what i wanted and the Avios dont really matter so much in the scheme if things as still have over 400k left. Small beer for some but more than enough to keep me going for a while. Ce est la vie.

But steep learning curve and good to know it could be done. Not sure I'd have changed things if I didn't need to but good to know its possible.

Thanks for your help corporate-wage-slave
redpalmetto likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AJA_
. Could it have been cheaper , most definitely, but not for cash, the fares they wanted were 326 each so 652. And it is a last minute change. So 'saved' 240 and have got what i wanted and the Avios dont really matter so much in the scheme if things as still have over 400k left. Small beer for some but more than enough to keep me going for a while. Ce est la vie.
Using cash fares with either Plus or standalone CE, then FCOD it to the service you want to be on, I doubt you absolutely had to pay 326 for LHR-NCL, I don't think I've ever paid that much, and in any case, if a standalone fare was needed then buy a standalone Avios redemption for the new trip and leave the old trip as it was (cancelling the NCL sector at LHR instead).
crazy8534 and AJA_ like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 3:15 am
Original Poster

I thought it wasn't possible to cancel just the inbound domestic sector of an Avios booking on a 2-4-1 voucher and still fly the longhaul inbound once the outbound sectors had been flown so the only way to not use that sector would be to just no-show for the domestic sector.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by AJA_
I thought it wasn't possible to cancel just the inbound domestic sector of an Avios booking on a 2-4-1 voucher and still fly the longhaul inbound once the outbound sectors had been flown so the only way to not use that sector would be to just no-show for the domestic sector.
After flying the first sector you would be able to cancel the last sector (assuming BA hasn't done something to the timing of that last sector.......) but in any case they can just scrub the connection in London. If BA was at fault (e.g. late arrival) you could even be refunded the airport charge. No-showing is the other option but that is avoidable.
crazy8534 and AJA_ like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 3:32 am
Original Poster

OK thanks. Never knew that. Just learnt something new again.

As always thanks for the advice. It is appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.