Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA services to TLV, Israel - restarted 1 Apr 24

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA services to TLV, Israel - restarted 1 Apr 24

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:41 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by mikebg
Considering that other major airlines are flying widebodies to TLV the move seems suicidal for BA. After a few "tries" very few will keep on flying 5 hours on a 321 when there are far better alternatives available. ELAL are filling 4 flights most days to London, 2 widebodies with excellent flat beds in business, and a good PE cabin, and 2-3 738s (which have a far better business class than BA's SH fleet). Even for connecting traffic, who is going to fly to the USA via London, when LX and AF offer proper business class for what is almost half the journey? What, fly 5 hours on a 321 just to spend the next 6 in F? Makes no sense at all. And the reduction of TPs from next April will kill off the monthly flyers, and I really don't see the 90 odd weekly flyers coming back to that sort of aircraft. TLV is NOT CAI! The demographics are very very different. There are very large numbers of people living with their families in Israel but who still work in Europe or even the USA (a neighbour of ours used to fly almost every week from TLV-JFK) and who travel extremely frequently. Flying once a month on the reduced TPs will just about scrape Gold renewal, putting a very large number of long term GGLs (many with over 70,000 accumulated TPs) out of reach for keeping their status. They will not be returning to BA. The competition on the route is far too strong for that. In the meantime, ELAL are sweeping the floor with full business class cabins (and rumoured to have ordered an additional 789 because of BA basically abandoning the route). I honestly feel that they have based this move on a very superficial reafding of the situation (tourists being put off flying by talk of war). If they were worried by that, I would have thought it would have been wiser for them to have waited longer and not returned to TLV now, rather than getting a bad name which will take a long time to fix.
I agree with some of that which you opine, but not all. That the effect on regulars and Tier Points is in no doubt, neither do I disagree with your view on the competition. Like many routes there are different types of pax, there are the once a year, there are on this route the regular business people, there are the irregular business people ( such as I do 6 times a year), there are those who are with families and only look at price and fly economy, I would much prefer CW, but with LY charging extortionate amounts and because, even when working, I fly on my own dime I shall use BA. I shall, however, not use BA when flying with my wife neither will I once Virgin offer the morning flight. As to those flying on the the US, I don't know.
Where you are undeniably accurate is on the TLV-LHR business flyers, a number of friends/colleagues flew say 5 times a year. on this route, from meeting with them last month an alerting them to the change, there is no way they will fly on a SH aircraft to London. The will probably do vS outbound and LY inbound, they don't care about tier points or Avios, they just want to get to their destination so they can work.
jmd likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
But wouldn't that remain 2 sectors? (LCA-nearly TLV but not quite-LCA-LHR)
Essentially a LCA-LCA-LHR instead of LCA-TLV-LHR? I suppose an unexpected visit back to LCA would add time on the ground and that's where limitations may start to get iffy.
The aircraft is refuelled in TLV for the TLV-LHR leg so the crew would do LCA-LCA, one sector and then LCA- TLV, 2 sectors - not a problem. Likewise LCA-TLV-LHR not a problem, just two sectors. LHR-LCA-LCA-LHR. 3 sectors, almost certainly not going to make it within FTL limits. Any diversion on the LCA-TLV leg will be back to LCA if at all possible. Even if the aircraft pushed back at LCA and was taxing out for departure and the word came that it wouldn’t be possible to fly into TLV, so back to stand, the second the parking brake is set and the engines shut down marks the end of a sector. Take off and landing are not required for it to count.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Pilot37
The aircraft is refuelled in LCA for the TLV - LHR sector because BA want the ability to fly the aircraft directly back to LHR should they not be able to land in TLV for any reason - also 1 of the reasons for the crew change in LCA as well.

Pilot37
Originally Posted by Sigwx
The aircraft is refuelled in TLV for the TLV-LHR leg so the crew would do LCA-LCA, one sector and then LCA- TLV, 2 sectors - not a problem. Likewise LCA-TLV-LHR not a problem, just two sectors. LHR-LCA-LCA-LHR. 3 sectors, almost certainly not going to make it within FTL limits. Any diversion on the LCA-TLV leg will be back to LCA if at all possible. Even if the aircraft pushed back at LCA and was taxing out for departure and the word came that it wouldn’t be possible to fly into TLV, so back to stand, the second the parking brake is set and the engines shut down marks the end of a sector. Take off and landing are not required for it to count.
I guess this is the source of my confusion here.
Sigwx likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
I guess this is the source of my confusion here.
ahh I missed this, but just to confirm - fuel isn’t being tankered into TLV.
BA6501 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Today's BA402 was fairly busy. around 32 in Club, 120 or so in Traveller.
makin'miles, wrp96, Sigwx and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold

Doesn't look to have been an entirely successful first flight!
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:17 pm

Only one serviceable lav in economy? Geesh.

Crew will be hating this route.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by DXB2745
you won’t be flying Ba then!

better a non BA flight then submit ourselves to the 321 w/o PE or a real Biz
expataus, wrp96 and mnhusker like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:38 pm

Programs: BA, LY, QF, UA, HH
I’ve had flights between New York and London that were quicker than the new “LHR-LCA-TLV express”

No amount of marketing spin will convince me that this is a short-haul, “Europe,” flight and I’ve already voted with my wallet.

Last edited by expataus; Apr 1, 2024 at 11:41 pm
Old Apr 2, 2024, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by expataus
I’ve had flights between New York and London that were quicker than the new “LHR-LCA-TLV express”

No amount of marketing spin will convince me that this is a short-haul, “Europe,” flight and I’ve already voted with my wallet.
And to think those route used to by served by a 737 ex LGW as LGW-TLV-LGW once upon a time.
Porky Speedpig and TedToToe like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by theroz
better a non BA flight then submit ourselves to the 321 w/o PE or a real Biz
Well, most people would not be booking either business nor premium economy - economy is pretty much economy regardless of type of aeroplane

TLV is only 193 miles further from LHR than LCA and it runs as a shorthaul route ok
Old Apr 2, 2024, 3:03 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Well, most people would not be booking either business nor premium economy - economy is pretty much economy regardless of type of aeroplane

TLV is only 193 miles further from LHR than LCA and it runs as a shorthaul route ok
But TLV is more of a business and tech hub than LCA, hence the disquiet.
expataus and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 3:40 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by davidcamp6
But TLV is more of a business and tech hub than LCA, hence the disquiet.
That is to me the best argument put forward yet, I thought that we had long flogged to death the big change on the route some weeks ago - but clearly not. Having looked at the loads in CE on the route in the next few days,; it would seem that significant numbers are still booking this. Whether after doing such a flight in as A320 they continue I cannot tell. However, if you are correct and this is such a route - and I have absolutely no argument with you as I really do not know - then I think that the disquiet stems from the fact that there are those who will have to fly the thing as their employers, clients or customers are paying the bill.
wrp96 and davidcamp6 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:09 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by BJ787
https://twitter.com/DigitalNapalm13/..._esYZz2SQ&s=19

Doesn't look to have been an entirely successful first flight!
Looks like the competition will be laughing all the way to the bank. What a fiasco. And to think they couldn't know in advance that it woulkd be a disaster.
makin'miles and davidcamp6 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:13 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Could LCA support 2 packed full 3 or 4 class widebodies a day, 7 days a week? Well that is what BA were flying to TLV until October. And they often had an additional third flight over the summer. That's the difference. A very large number of the people who fly BA from TLV over the next few weeks, in whatever class, will never go back to BA. This is going to prove to have been a collosal blunder.
mnhusker likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.