Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No PDB in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2024, 4:23 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Le Club Accor (Platinum)
I flew DFW-LHR in F last week and was told no alcohol on the ground due to state law. (The crew were absolutely exceptionally brilliant, so I am 100% sure that they genuinely believed this!).
Old Apr 10, 2024, 5:53 am

Programs: DL Plat
Flown Club out of IAH twice in the past month or so and no alcohol served on the ground either time.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 1:37 am
pH

Programs: AA EXP
Any recent updates on whether this curious situation is still occurring for IAH, DFW or AUS? Thank you for any anecdotes!
Old Jun 14, 2024, 2:32 am

Programs: BA, AMEX PP
Same problem in Colorado

No champagne offered from Denver last week, only water or OJ.
Crew apologised that they weren’t able to serve alcohol on the ground.

Old Jun 14, 2024, 2:41 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
Originally Posted by Cluster One
No champagne offered from Denver last week, only water or OJ.
Crew apologised that they weren’t able to serve alcohol on the ground.
Should have got a hoverboard for them then...
timlewis808 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 4:19 am

I had no alcohol out of BNA.

Despite being a massive party place, they are super strict in IDing everyone, being bald isn't grounds for exemption! Think by law they need to ID everyone who "looks under 50" but in practice pretty much everywhere has a 100% ID policy.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 5:17 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by Duuckiie
No, all passengers told that champagne is no longer served on the ground in Texas due to a law change?
I was told the same when flying out of SJC (California) last September.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 7:24 am

If this is what it takes to bring the water back on the CW PDB drink tray, I'm all for it.....
Old Jun 14, 2024, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Also, also, isn’t this a separate issue?
Not really. If it's state law then you wouldn't get any alcohol served at all, however small. I'm flying back out of IAH week after next - will be interesting to see if there's no champagne welcome drink.
pH likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 1:23 pm
pH

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chriswiles
Not really. If it's state law then you wouldn't get any alcohol served at all, however small. I'm flying back out of IAH week after next - will be interesting to see if there's no champagne welcome drink.
Also worth noting their JBA partner AA serves bubbles as a pre-departure beverage on all long-haul flights from DFW. United has no problem doing the same in IAH.

Seems clear it is a BA cost-cutting issue despite the specious claims of "state law." Would be happy to stand corrected.

Ps. I'm not blaming the cabin crew, seems they have been put in the position by an operational decision.
bafan likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 4:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ttama
I was told the same when flying out of SJC (California) last September.
If you were told it is due to CA law then that is not correct. SJC-LHR was my regular monthly route. It is now SFO-LHR. Champagne / sparkling wine always served.

As others have said the lack of pre-departure champagne is typically because no duty paid bottles have been loaded due to catering SNAFU.

Last edited by PoincianaKings; Jun 14, 2024 at 8:58 pm
Old Jun 14, 2024, 5:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by pH
Any recent updates on whether this curious situation is still occurring for IAH, DFW or AUS? Thank you for any anecdotes!
I had the same out of DFW last week.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2024, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by pH
Sadly it's definitely 'a thing' now. Flew in F out of IAH last week and they emphasised no alcohol welcome drink due to the new Texas rules, so will apply across all those airports.
Simonmiller likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2024, 8:47 am

OJ or water only out of IAH in J yesterday.
Old Jul 6, 2024, 12:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by chriswiles
Sadly it's definitely 'a thing' now. Flew in F out of IAH last week and they emphasised no alcohol welcome drink due to the new Texas rules, so will apply across all those airports.
If it is just a tax issue, the cost of fares should definitely be enough to cover half a thimble of bubbles for premium passengers, even if there is a higher tax to be paid now.

And people definitely need to send in feedback to BA, because otherwise if BA gets away with it here, they’ll realise they can get away with it everywhere.
ABZSimy and Arctic Troll like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.