No PDB in Texas?

Old Mar 30, 2024, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

No PDB in Texas?

Currently flying IAH-LHR in F and been told they are no longer allowed to open the bar on the ground in Texas. Anyone else experienced this?
Old Mar 30, 2024, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No bars can be opened anywhere in the USA, duty paid champagne should have been loaded for PDB, we’re you offered champagne?
crazy8534 and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I seem to recall we had PDB from AUS a couple of, months ago.
Having said that, we cruised from Port of Galveston last week and were told that they were operating a slimmed down bar menu due to Texas alcohol laws and that they had to pay taxes on booze they did sell.
Normal service was resumed as soon as we were 12 miles out and in international waters 😊🍸

Last edited by zanderblue; Mar 30, 2024 at 3:14 pm
Old Mar 30, 2024, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
No bars can be opened anywhere in the USA, duty paid champagne should have been loaded for PDB, were you offered champagne?

No, all passengers told that champagne is no longer served on the ground in Texas due to a law change?
Old Mar 30, 2024, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I certainly was offered champagne out of DFW last week in F. Has the law changed since then?
Old Mar 30, 2024, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
That’s new but I’m not surprised, each state seems to make its on rules on a whim.
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 3:28 pm

Hmm,

More than likely the crew just making up some story as they couldn't find/couldn't be bothered to find where the pre-departure champagne was loaded (often in the chillers or what was once known as the 'dairy box'. Sometimes in the Club Kitchen, sometimes in some random location. Depends on ac type. And station).

I doubt very much if a new state law was enacted so recently that prohibits the serving of duty paid champagne pre-flight.

If so, I'm sure there will have been a notification on CrewLink.

Opinion given as an ex-WorldWide LHR cabin crew member of 20 years service. Left in 2020, so I stand to be corrected.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Thats new but Im not surprised, each state seems to make its on rules on a whim.
The way the cruise line explained it to me was, that the Texas authorities required them to charge tax on alcohol sales, so they couldnt use their normal duty free stock.
Ive no idea how new or old this requirement is.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by zanderblue
The way the cruise line explained it to me was, that the Texas authorities required them to charge tax on alcohol sales, so they couldnt use their normal duty free stock.
Ive no idea how new or old this requirement is.
That is correct, which is why there is a stock in the duty paid bar for consumption on the ground but hey its Texas.
EuropeanPete and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 3:56 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
According to the PDB thread on AA, posters had full PDB served out of DFW. I suspect that this could be that the Duty Paid had not been loaded.
wrp96, crazy8534, PLeblond and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FormerNo14ontheA380
Hmm,

More than likely the crew just making up some story as they couldn't find/couldn't be bothered to find where the pre-departure champagne was loaded (often in the chillers or what was once known as the 'dairy box'. Sometimes in the Club Kitchen, sometimes in some random location. Depends on ac type. And station).

I doubt very much if a new state law was enacted so recently that prohibits the serving of duty paid champagne pre-flight.

Opinion given as an ex-WorldWide LHR cabin crew member of 20 years service. Left in 2020, so I stand to be corrected.
I would be inclined to agree, however the crew have been excellent otherwise and the IFM stated it has been like this for the last 2 weeks - to IAH at least.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by FormerNo14ontheA380
Hmm,

I doubt very much if a new state law was enacted so recently that prohibits the serving of duty paid champagne pre-

NOOOOO they are not making it up at all. As it stands it is very dependant on the outstation whether they have pre take off champagne/ Proseccos being made available by the outstation, not just in the US, but also other stations too. It all depends, allegedly, whether they had deliveries for pre departure alcohol or not which in some cases hasn’t happened for years, make of that what you wish, but on occasion where Crew are not allowed to open the bar, it be juice or water

it’s not down to state law but wether the out station can/is authorised to source/pay for it or not
So please don’t blame the Crew based on your experiences when you were worldwide Crew which is years ago
Old Mar 30, 2024, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Alcohol was served as PDB on my DFW-AUS flight on AA last night.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 6:59 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by Stripe
Alcohol was served as PDB on my DFW-AUS flight on AA last night.
Stripe. This post refers to International Flights

Last edited by UncleDude; Mar 30, 2024 at 7:00 pm Reason: Misspelling
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Duuckiie
Currently flying IAH-LHR in F and been told they are no longer allowed to open the bar on the ground in Texas. Anyone else experienced this?
I fly out of AUS frequently and have always had either a champagne or orange juice welcome drink option. I think maybe once they had run out of champagne though. I don't always bother with the champagne welcome drink as I often work on my laptop for at least a couple of hours after take-off (out of AUS).
crazy8534 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.