Wiki Posts
Search

How do I get afternoon tea in First?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:12 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Exactly - Couscous is to France very much what Curry is to the UK and indeed consistently ranks as the no1 spot in the French people's list of favourite dishes (and no, that's not primarily due to people of North African origin themselves). Vietnames nems/ "rouleaux de printemps" also consistently rank high up in the national list of favourite and frequently eaten dishes. Obviously, comparisons are difficult (for instance ready meals are central to supermarket business in the UK and totally marginal in France), but looking more at restaurants, recipes people look up and take away those are most decidedly success stories.
I still take issue that curry cannot form part of non-Indian national cuisines but I also want to let it slide.
As it's very hard to make curry haute.

JAL does include Curry in their F menus, but only as a snack. And they have to thrown in some origin-specific Wagyu (Miyazaki Wagyu) to make it a sufficiently presentable offering:

https://www.jal.co.jp/inter/service/...405.pdf#page=7
https://www.jal.co.jp/inter/service/...405.pdf#page=7

Back to the BA afternoon tea situation, BA has not made any similar effort to upscale their offering to levels similar to JAL. I don't think they're alone though - with QF, the further up front I sit, the more I experience expectation shortfall with their meals.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by davidcamp6
And they love KFC at Christmas
And Spam! You can’t beat quality cooking and presentation in Japanese cuisine!
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:00 am

And on a related topic, associated with afternoon tea, what about sandwiches in the lounges?

I like sandwiches and frequently enjoy some in a lounge yet they do receive harsh comment here from time to time. Bring them on! More flavours and variety needed. I was disappointed with a Tom Kerridge sandwich I ordered in Y once, no better than the Tesco Finest equivalent and a tiny bit more expensive. Poor old Tom, labouring away to make it and missing the mark.

A few days ago I had three little sandwiches on a QR flight that were great; it was afternoon tea without everything except the sandwiches requested. Great.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen
And Spam! You can’t beat quality cooking and presentation in Japanese cuisine!
Found the photo:

Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:18 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Shocked at how the clotted cream is served in First in some of the photos. Is it too difficult for BA to train staff to serve it in the shape of a quenelle? These things matter in First Class you know.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:48 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Not any longer, Arise Doctor Copper - Maitre des Gaz Coporels (

Pucci Galore - Fontaine d'Honneurs de Flyertalk
I am honoured. Thank you.

Doc Copper
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TheChangingMan
There's another way?
Yes,
Scone, butter and no cream/jam.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:01 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by Strawb
Shocked at how the clotted cream is served in First in some of the photos. Is it too difficult for BA to train staff to serve it in the shape of a quenelle? These things matter in First Class you know.
No! Rocher in First class...Quenelle in Club.....serve from the left, take from the right....you need to remember how to do silver service
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by chriswiles
It looks better than it tastes. It's ok. I had two scones, left one. They weren't anything special. It's not even a patch on anything you'd get fresh from a decent London hotel. Also, I was still fairly full from the big lunch as afternoon tea was served less than 3 hours later! Those east coast flights go real quick and they have to fit in two services in 7 hours.
The scones in First and CW are terrible - have been for a while now. Tough, stale, overbaked.
Used to be good though, a couple of years ago. I suspect the current ones are longlife
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bafan
That’s the point (in my view anyway). Afternoon tea is really a gimmick for tourists, Brits generally rarely have afternoon tea - and usually as a ‘treat’ on special occasions at a nice venue. The BA version is a pretty pale imitation of this (even in First).
You could say the same, word for word, about a Full English Breakfast.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Yes,
Scone, butter and no cream/jam.
I must admit I spread all three on my scones. Butter then the jam and last the cream if I have any.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
The first time I had Afternoon Tea was at the insistence of my wife. We were staying at the Emirates Palace in Dubai and she was quite firm.
Well, yes, I was impressed and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. But I fear that pretty much spoiled the chances here for any BA offering.
For the record, she was there for business and I was just the luggage carrier
Once the conference was no longer paying for the hotel room, we decamped to a much more reasonable place to stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.