Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I get afternoon tea in First?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:31 am
Original Poster

How do I get afternoon tea in First?

No matter how hard I try to get Afternoon Tea in First, I always end up getting the 'light meal' option when leaving Heathrow for a US bound flight. I have taken flights leaving Heathrow as early as 10:10 AM (BA 283) and 12:50 PM (BA 281) and it's always the light meal. Do you not get afternoon tea on flights bound for the west coast?
remaxmac likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
West Coast doesn't offer afternoon tea. This is for the shorter East Coast flights - on LAX etc you'll always get a second "lighter" meal service.

You could route LHR-JFK-LAX for the extra points and Afternoon Tea on JFK if you fancy
Markie, Carfield, salut0 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
West Coast doesn't offer afternoon tea. This is for the shorter East Coast flights - on LAX etc you'll always get a second "lighter" meal service.

You could route LHR-JFK-LAX for the extra points and Afternoon Tea on JFK if you fancy
I see! This makes a lot of sense. I always fly to SF or LAX.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most BA flyers would go out of their way to avoid afternoon tea. Consider those less fortunate than you, who are stuck with an outdated tradition rather than real food.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Most BA flyers would go out of their way to avoid afternoon tea. Consider those less fortunate than you, who are stuck with an outdated tradition rather than real food.
Haha, browsing the First meal service thread, it looks okay! Having never tried it, I am curious. If ititss anything like the one served in the CCR, I feel I am missing out.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by 7byazz
No matter how hard I try to get Afternoon Tea in First, I always end up getting the 'light meal' option when leaving Heathrow for a US bound flight. I have taken flights leaving Heathrow as early as 10:10 AM (BA 283) and 12:50 PM (BA 281) and it's always the light meal. Do you not get afternoon tea on flights bound for the west coast?
I’ve had it every time on mid morning flights to MIA and DFW. West coast you will normally get a second lunch
BA or bust, crazy8534 and 7byazz like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:51 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
always underwhelmed by second meal, would much prefer tea on west coast flights.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:10 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by simonkenyon
I’ve had it every time on mid morning flights to MIA and DFW. West coast you will normally get a second lunch
My recent trip to DFW had great service in F, good food for the afternoon tea and lovely strong tea.
HIDDY, the810 and crazy8534 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Count me in the (apparently!) small group of passengers who love a good afternoon tea

Also don’t let orbitmic poison your mind about where to put cream on a scone- the correct way as shown:

Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:50 am

We enjoy the afternoon tea and were most disappointed not to get it on our last flight to the US due to the timing.
the810 and crazy8534 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I like the afternoon tea - it sort of became part of my "pre-US arrival" routine for a while - including the last cup of proper tea until back on board the return flight. I had it in F the other day again, was quite nice!
the810 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The point about afternoon tea is that it's only offered on the early half of departures from LHR across the Atlantic with a lot riding on arrival time. In the CW thread there is a list of flights where it's offered in CW (and I presume First, I've not made a direct study of this). It stands to reason, the BA175 gets into JFK around 13:30 hrs local time, having left LHR at 09:30, so lunch and afternoon tea makes sense. But BA183 leaves LHR at 19:00 and gets into New York at 23:00 hrs, so it would not make sense for Afternoon Tea even if it was the first meal.
SJOGuy, wrp96, crazy8534 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Most BA flyers would go out of their way to avoid afternoon tea.
How do you know this?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
But BA183 leaves LHR at 19:00 and gets into New York at 23:00 hrs, so it would not make sense for Afternoon Tea even if it was the first meal.
Now you know what would just be mental: getting breakfast before a 3pm arrival from LAX!
Kgmm77 and stewaran like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:39 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

Yes I had on BA217 LHR-IAD

HIDDY, crazy8534 and JayeJ like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.