Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

£1200 surcharges now showing on BA and Virgin Atlantic redemption flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

£1200 surcharges now showing on BA and Virgin Atlantic redemption flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC
If there's one revelation in this thread it's that there's another airline out there that has an app where you can do several searches for redemption seats which appears to work and not randomly crash or error. ​​​​​
​​​
guv1976, Kgmm77, 36902BRF and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:30 pm

VS YQ back down to £700
littlefish likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:31 pm

Excuse my ignorance here. Are these surcharges also charged if upgrading from WT+ to Business? Are they avoided by starting in somewhere like Dublin?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Excuse my ignorance here. Are these surcharges also charged if upgrading from WT+ to Business? Are they avoided by starting in somewhere like Dublin?
On BA, you ONLY get hit with the higher surcharge if upgrading from WTP to Club.

Since Reward Flight Saver was introduced for 100% Avios redemptions on long haul, the YQ surcharge is immaterial because you pay the fixed RFS fee instead.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:54 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by Raffles
On BA, you ONLY get hit with the higher surcharge if upgrading from WTP to Club.

Since Reward Flight Saver was introduced for 100% Avios redemptions on long haul, the YQ surcharge is immaterial because you pay the fixed RFS fee instead.
Assuming you qualify for RFS.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:05 pm

Programs: VS Gold
VS LHR to USA is GBP 625 one way in business. Same as always.

And in reverse it's worse : $997 ex USA (same as always... which I've never understood.. why is ex-USA more than ex-LHR?)

Whereas a retrun LHR-SFO-LHR is "only" GBP 997 ($1200). Which I also don't understand why the total surcharges would be less on a RT.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Personally, rather than why is i higher one way than the other, I cannot understand why there are any surcharges at all - there is no good reason for them
BA6948 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:17 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by stefan_nl
I am based in AMS (so ex-EU by default) and looking to spend my Avios. But when trying to make a dummy booking 9 out of 10 times there is an issue (this flight can't be upgraded online even when searching via the Book and Upgrade feature on the website) and when I do find something the surcharge is prohibitive.

I am wondering what the best way is to use my Avios ex-AMS.
I’d say flying East (look at JAL, CX, QR in particular), or any local travel within the U.S. you might have to do. You may also look at AA flights to the U.S., either transiting in the UK or not. Cheeky short haul trips to London essentially become free as well.

I’ve been similarly “ex-EU” for a while now, and it does feel very different to when you’re based in the UK.
Lefly and stefan_nl like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:17 pm

Programs: VS Gold
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Raffles

Do you only pay them on an ex UK booking?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by VictorSierra
VS YQ back down to £700
Indeed "Victory? Virgin Atlantic reverses its £200 increase in Upper Class surcharges"
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by stefan_nl
I am based in AMS (so ex-EU by default) and looking to spend my Avios. But when trying to make a dummy booking 9 out of 10 times there is an issue (this flight can't be upgraded online even when searching via the Book and Upgrade feature on the website) and when I do find something the surcharge is prohibitive.

I am wondering what the best way is to use my Avios ex-AMS.
The sweet spots for Avios redemptions are ever diminishing. I still like to redeem on short European hops where an RFS AMS-LHR can be as low as around 8,250 Avios plus EUR 30. This can be an exceptional redemption at some times and just ok at others. USA domestic redemptions on AA, booking with BA can also be good sometimes, especially when one-way fares are high, but the amount of Avios required for these was very quietly increased lately.

Upgrades from Business to First TATL are also still good value at 20,000-25,000 Avios, if of course you can find availability and an agent who knows how to process it.
EuropeanPete and 36902BRF like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by maxmin
If you really want to see some insanity look at what the surcharges are round trip on VS ex-US in Upper. Given the cash fare was just shy of $3k for this booking you are saving less than $700 with your 95k points. What a bargain. Of course if one really wanted to do this you could book as two one ways and saves yourself some money.

Old Mar 31, 2024, 12:51 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Personally, rather than why is i higher one way than the other, I cannot understand why there are any surcharges at all - there is no good reason for them
I do agree. One should only be paying taxes and airport charges. End of!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.