Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Companion Voucher - Open Jaw - BA + IB

Hello,
is this possible?
Madrid to Narita on Iberia
Haneda to Heathrow on BA
Using Avios and an Amex Companion Voucher

Can't seem to do it on a few dates I tried on the BA site, but I might be unlucky with availability.
Certainly I can use the voucher for a MAD > NRT return entirely on Iberia, and obviously it works with LHR > HND on BA only. Just not sure if and how this can be done when going out from one city with one airline, and coming back from a different airport in Tokyo to a different city in Europe.

I'm happy to fly Iberia from London but again can't seem to get the full journey up on the BAEC site. LHR > MAD > NRT (all IB or BA + IB) // HND > LHR (BA) Or LHR > MAD > NRT // NRT > MAD > LHR

So before I ring up and waste lots of time, can anyone confirm if this is actually do'able to begin with, and presumably would need to be done on the phone with a competent agent?

Thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Aston100
Hello,
is this possible?
Madrid to Narita on Iberia
Haneda to Heathrow on BA
Using Avios and an Amex Companion Voucher
Open jaw on the destination end is absolutely possible. A reverse open jaw where you do not return to your departure point, I am much less sure.
Aston100 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:36 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I expect it's possible, but not online. It's not going to be a commonly asked for thing, so you might get funny reactions over the phone, but I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.
Aston100 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:51 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Find all the flights you want, check the availability and then ring up.
Previously Amex vouchers were BA only, so they might quibble about it at first, but it should be fine. Mixing carriers and 'reverse' open jaws are all fine on a normal redemption and there are no relevant exclusions for the Amex voucher to stop you applying it.
I think you can actually do an open jaw at each end as long as the cities are in the same OW region, e.g. Europe or Asia and the 'open' part at each end is smaller than the distance of the main leg of each outward and return.
Aston100 and BearX220 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.