Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New CW Amenity Bag

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:06 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by bafan
I wish they would put useful stuff in the wash bag. I miss the old face wipe that was in years ago. Easier to freshen your face with than sloshing water about in the sink in the loo. And I’ve never understood the need for so much moisturiser (hand and body). Especially when it is also provided in the loo.
Are you talking about the pre-moistened towelette that was in several years ago, or the cotton washcloth that was similar to the cotton towels you used to get in the toilets at the time? if the later, then I think that's maybe from the Molton Brown era. They used to give out 30ml samples that included bodywash and shampoos, iirc. You might ask what use that was, well on the flights to Australia they were better than the shampoo and soap provided in the Qantas showers at the time. I've been a Molton Brown fan since and stock up during Black Friday sales, although I've noticed they were at sale price when I looked on Amazon once for them. You're talking around 25 years ago for Molton Brown and the pre-moistened towelette was maybe around 10 years ago?

On the subject of the actual "bags", I have AA washbags from also around 25 years ago that doubled as shoe bags that I still use on travels now. BA washbag got dinkier and more unusual. One had a flap or similar so you could put it on your belt I think! My other half is trying to get rid of my collection, but I keep finding new places to hide them.
MaxFlyer and bafan like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by BA or bust
Though I have accumulated various bags from BA and other airlines over the years, my consistent favourites are the blue cloth bags from Club from a few years ago. They are my go to for lots of stuff.
Mrs firstlight uses the old blue bag to pack her shoes for our vacations - while they are really good for this, it turns out that her luggage is not sufficient for all her shoes, so I end up with quite a few of these cloth bags in my own luggage!
BA or bust, T8191, becks1 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Though I have accumulated various bags from BA and other airlines over the years, my consistent favourites are the blue cloth bags from Club from a few years ago. They are my go to for lots of stuff. They also double up as a handy bag to pop your book, headphones and sunglasses on when going down to the sun-loungers at a hotel. Mine have been through the wash a few times and still look as good as new.
As for these latest ones, I agree the boxier shape is better, but white?
This is exactly what i use those old cloth bags for. In fact it is protecting a couple of loungers as I speak. Unfortunately I ripped it yesterday so I will try effect a sewing repair but I fear it's days might be numbered. I do have 4 more of them in drawers at home so all is not lost.

That said I like the look of this new bag, hopefully it will be on my flight from SIN next week.
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:43 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
That was my first thought as well....it wouldn't stay white very long in my grubby hands. I'm sure I've got a similar shaped one in my collection but in blue or brown? Not sure though, as my missus stashes them away somewhere never to see the light of day again!!
Originally Posted by dddc
My other half is trying to get rid of my collection, but I keep finding new places to hide them.
My problem too! SWMBO has a regular sweep through the house on a ‘decluttering’ mission. I am running out of safe places to hide stuff.
dddc and HIDDY like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:48 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I’ve still got, and use, a couple of Anya Hindmarch BAg’s from the mid 2000s that I use for cables. A quality product that’s stood the test of time.
That is the one (big, from F I think) I use as my main washbag. They must be around ten years old, but still going strong even after going through the washing machine a few times.
BA needs to learn from that, it is a regular reminder and advert for the quality of BA.

Actually now that I think of it… of the BA of yesteryear.
EuropeanPete, crazy8534 and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave_C
I’ve still got, and use, a couple of Anya Hindmarch BAg’s from the mid 2000s that I use for cables. A quality product that’s stood the test of time.
They are excellent - especially the slightly outsize beige/brown one.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
They are excellent - especially the slightly outsize beige/brown one.
me too, bring these back plse. I use them for toiletries.

Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Cables, chargers, adapters, pills, wet wipes, feminine products... I always have a use for the amenity kit bags. The less useful are the small black ones from BA CW. The old old ones, the blue cloth bags with the drawstrings, are perfect for socks and slippers.
As other before me I appreciate the shape of this new one, the color not that much...

Regarding the content, if BA keep the eye mask they used in the past years I'm happy, they are very comfortable. For the pen I can understand, in few places the paper custom form has been replaced with an online one.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
That is the one (big, from F I think) I use as my main washbag. They must be around ten years old, but still going strong even after going through the washing machine a few times.
BA needs to learn from that, it is a regular reminder and advert for the quality of BA.

Actually now that I think of it… of the BA of yesteryear.
I have a full set of the BA Anya Hindmarch boxes* from F - this is an example https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305001882569
No one is getting rid of those.if they want all their limbs to still be intact.

*(not the velvet covered ones though as the quality wasn’t as good)
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:47 am

I use the empties for storing cables, chargers, SSDs and hard drives. The tri-fold model from many years ago will hold 8 rolls of medium-format film.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:59 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
On this subject, I would be genuinely interested to understand the genesis of the amenity bag. Who started it? Who raised the bar? I still love the old F Liberty cases for robustness, and the old F eye masks for their toweling comfort and little droopy nose bits. But the most useful bit of kit ever of all time is the (admittedly initially odd) JAL moistened face mask. Most hydrated flight ever!
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Things I use in an amenity kit:
  • Moisturiser / hand cream (even though this is provided in the washrooms)
  • Lip balm (could bring my own)
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste (although I often use one from the lounge for the whole travel day)
  • Eye mask (could bring my own)
  • Tissues (if provided like in First, although they are provided in the washrooms)
  • The bag itself for storage after the flight (if of a useful size, nice design and appropriate quality)

I always travel with my own pen for landing forms. I would like more amenity kits to include wet wipes, similar to those provided on QR before takeoff and before landing.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
On this subject, I would be genuinely interested to understand the genesis of the amenity bag. Who started it? Who raised the bar? I still love the old F Liberty cases for robustness, and the old F eye masks for their toweling comfort and little droopy nose bits. But the most useful bit of kit ever of all time is the (admittedly initially odd) JAL moistened face mask. Most hydrated flight ever!
BOAC are to blame!
My understanding is it all started back in the 1950's with their 'Monarch' First Class Stratocruiser services to/from the USA. There was a tie in at the time with Elizabeth Arden who also used to come out to London Airport and provide make up and deportment classes to stewerdesses in training.
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Mar 27, 2024 at 2:03 am
Old Mar 30, 2024, 4:54 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
My problem too! SWMBO has a regular sweep through the house on a ‘decluttering’ mission. I am running out of safe places to hide stuff.
Try finding creative places in a 2 bedroom flat! I left an old QF hard case out yesterday while cleaning out a wardrobe and it was swiftly added to the rubbish. Luckily I do have 3 more in hiding, along with AA F and J cases and several BA iterations of the J ones. I do have a fairly bland JAL case, bar the label "Big Ben Express" which I love. Plus it was my first ever opup. We are talking 25+ years ago. I spent most of the 12 hour flight playing Sonic the Hedgehog and had the tune ringing in my head for the next month. Not good as I was starting a new job!!
MaxFlyer, becks1 and JABs like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.