Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dashing Through Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Dashing Through Heathrow

My husband (Lifetime Platinum) and lowly me are flying coach, on an AA award, on a Saturday in mid-May with the following itinerary:

BA flight 525, departs FLR at 12:20 PM, arrives LHR at 1:45 PM
AA flight 735, departs LHR at 3:15 PM, arrives CLT at 7:00 PM
AA flight 1773, departs CLT at 10:20 PM, arrives TPA at 11:59 PM

The time at Heathrow has shrunk in the last year since I booked the flights. And yes, I know the minimum connecting time is 75 minutes. The question is, how do we get between the two terminals quickly? Also, if we do miss our flight to CLT, who should we seek out for help, and what are we entitled to?

So much for enjoying the Qantas Lounge.

Thank you!
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:17 am

Programs: BA GGL
MCT for BA-AA (term 5 to term 3) is 1hr30mins. So you're bang on MCT.

When you arrive at LHR there's a flight connections bus that goes from T5 to T3. If you do miss your flight to CLT the question is depends when and why. I would probably suggest you go to T3 anyway and speak to the American Airlines agents that are in flight connections just before security. If they can't help there's also BA agents there. There is a chance that the AA agents wash their hands of it as it'll be BA who should be in charge of re-routing you.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Firstly I take it that this is all on one ticket?
If you are at the A gates follow the signs to flight connections where you will see a sign for connections to Terminal 3, a bus will take you there. If by a small chance you arrive at a B gate there is also a bus stop there, take the lift or escalator down one floor.
If you know you have missed your flight go to the BA flight connections desk in T5 but you could go over to T3 and speak to AA.
becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See this thread for detailed information concerning connections:
A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

With your times I would stay airside and take the bus to T3. When you arrive there is a connections desk there that can assist you. If you are really late, that is you arrive after your AA flight has departed then I might visit the flight connections desk at T5 and have BA assist as they would be responsible for rerouting you based upon their late arrival.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Might be worth reviewing this thread as I don’t think BA has changed the equipment since last year:

"Absolute Shambles" [says] the Pilot! [A320 weight issue at FLR]

I would have a rough idea of a back up plan in your pocket in case there are issues with the FLR-LHR flight. In all probability likely will be fine, but it is a route with known issues.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If things go to plan, you should still have 20-30 minutes in one of the many T3 lounges open to you, the AA lounge may be preferable since they will keep you informed of departure and it's slightly better located for your likely pathway.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
One important note: the LHR-FLR-LHR rotation has a very bad track record, as the plane often ends up in PSA rather than FLR (there is a thread somewhere on this), so there is a non-zero prob that you will miss connection. The other problem a colleague recently mentioned (who took flight out of FLR) is that immigration in FLR might not open until they are certain that the flight can land, which might lead to delays as well.
beardedgeologist likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all. To answer a question posed by "Can I help you," yes it's all one AA award ticket. I am going to try not to worry, since we are on our way home, and I have kept our calendar clear for the next day or two when we get home.

Based on your responses, I am assuming that my husband's status does not allow any special treatment at Heathrow? We have seen long queues for the bus last year, and annoying security lines as well.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:00 pm

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by pho9187
Thank you all. To answer a question posed by "Can I help you," yes it's all one AA award ticket. I am going to try not to worry, since we are on our way home, and I have kept our calendar clear for the next day or two when we get home.

Based on your responses, I am assuming that my husband's status does not allow any special treatment at Heathrow? We have seen long queues for the bus last year, and annoying security lines as well.

Thanks again.
In terms of special treatment I have seen AA call peoples name on the connections bus at T5 and put them into a car. I don’t know their circumstances.

TBH at that point there would not be much time saving, except you would arrive at security alone rather than with a bus load of people. For that, stand next to the middle doors, on the left. You then also have 2(?) sets of stairs to overtake others on the way to security.
BA or bust and jaro like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:14 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
FLR :gulp:
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:02 am

Programs: BA GGL
The FLR <-> LHR route is notoriously unreliable because BA choose to operate it using an aircraft type (A320neo) that's operating pretty much at the limit of its performance capabilities on a good day. The flight diverts to operate to/from PSA if the wind is blowing too much or too little, or from the wrong direction, or it's too hot, or it's a full moon (only half joking on the last one...) with coaches taking passengers to/from PSA and a concomitant delay whilst the LHR-bound aircraft awaits its passengers.

I worked out some statistics last year - something like 21% of flights had diverted to PSA. So good luck - you'll need it, I expect!

I'd have some alternative flights researched so that you can jump on them as soon as you arrive at LHR if necessary. BA flies directly to TPA from LGW so that may be an option, albeit it's a lunchtime departure so you'd be looking at an overnight delay if so. LGW is a ~1 hour coach or ~1.5 hour train journey from LHR - several departures each hour.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Dashing through Heathrow
On a one horse open sleigh?
SxMan, fusionblue, squawk and 11 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:21 am

How much have they changed your connection time by? If it's more than an hour, you can have AA put you on a different more preferable itinerary.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:45 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
AA lifetime Platinum is Oneworld Sapphire - equivalent to BA Silver.

This will allow you to use Fast Track security where offered, but it won't help with transfer bus queues, etc.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all. To answer some of your questions, I don't remember how much the connection time has shrunk, but I believe it was less than one hour. That is the only flight from Florence to LHR, so there really is no other alternative, unless there is one I have not thought of.

Special thanks to Wozza2404. I have noticed the Fast Track security at Heathrow previously, but I was not aware that my husband was eligible. Does that mean that I may go with him?

Last questions. So you all are saying that BA has more clout about rerouting us? And that we should proceed to T3 in any case? If we decide to take the Gatwick-Tampa flight, are we entitled to a hotel, transportation and meals?

Thanks again. You all have been so helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.