Wiki Posts
Search

BA5 or BA 7 (LHR-HND)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2024, 7:39 am
Original Poster

BA5 or BA 7 (LHR-HND)

Hi

I'm afraid yet another Club Suites vs Club World thread but thought I'd ask those who regularly fly this route if the timings would also factor into your decision if you were in the same position.

Currently booked into CW on the B789 on BA5 and have paid for seats 7 A/B for the direct aisle access and smaller 'mini cabin' using a BAPP 241. Hitherto had hoped there would be some F reward availability opening up but according to Expert Flyer the F cabin is now full so happy to accept it won't happen.

However, somewhat unusually (?) there is lots of reward availablility on the earlier BA7 flight - departs LHR 09:10 and arrives HND 07:00. BA7 is on the A350 and has Club Suite.

BA5 currently leaves LHR 13:00 and lands 10:55 on the B789 in CW.

I initially chose BA5 (later flight) before the A350 was rostered on to this route and thought the landing time (10:55) was a good one. By the time we have cleared immigration formalities and travelled to the Conrad, I estimate it may be around 12:30 or later. Hilton Gold so hope for early check in but know it's not guaranteed. The reason I never opted for the earlier flight in the first place was the 7am arrival to Haneda and much less likelihood of being able to check in at the hotel and not much to do early morning in Tokyo.

Just want to sense check my timings and ask the regulars which flight they would prefer - taking into account both the CW vs CS dilemma and arrival time?

Coming back we have to take the BA6 on the B789 so will be spending plenty of time in CW on that leg (also in 7 A/B).
Old Mar 24, 2024, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I would probably choose , all other things being equal the later flight as it gives you more chance of an early check in.. I prefer the CS to CW . I would also keep checking for F availability as it can move

That being said, I have done the 0900 or so flight twice recently ( 0900 on BA to HND in December then the 0950 JL flight to HND in Jan -with a connection to Hiroshima at 1400

There is the observation deck on top of T3 landside then the Haneda airport garden with shops and onsens.

If it is a nice day there are two beautiful gardens close to the Conrad so if the room is not ready then i have left my bags and gone exploring. Conrad is also close to Ginza

I personally preferred the 1900 JL flight ( slept for 7 hrs straight) but on the morning flights ( I woke up early, then by the time you take off, have a leisurely lunch, watch a movie then it was getting dark outside ( easier in winter) so put the seat down ( change into a set of F pj's i bring along) and try to get as much rest as possible ( getting an occasional soft drink from the galley then waking up in time for breakfast). You do feel a little tired but I get a certain buzz from being in Tokyo and as long as I keep moving ( sunshine/fresh air helps) I am reasonably ok till bedtime ( I do try to get to bed around 2230-1100 on my first night with nothing major planned in the evening)

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Mar 24, 2024 at 8:35 am
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:00 am

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
Not sure if the issues are still ongoing, but BA7 had major issues with cancellations last year, if that affects your planning at all: Ongoing issues with BA7 and BA8 Tokyo Haneda service
FlyingCruiser likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
If flying alone I would probably choose the CS flight but if traveling with someone (that I can tolerate talking to ) CW is fine and I would deal with it for the significantly better arrival time.
FlyingCruiser likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Looks like I will keep the existing arrangements. Regarding the cancellation issues, I wouldn't mind being disrupted and transferred to JAL J (one can dream) but overall it would be an extra hassle and eat into our time in Tokyo.

The only temptation about it all is that I have an upcoming (and past run) of CW trips - typically luck that CW has been rostered on almost all of my flights - and 14 hours in CS was a bit of a draw. But perhaps not at the expense of feeling like a zombie in Tokyo in the early morning. I will recross my fingers for the unicorn that is 2x F reward redemptions.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Immigration queues

What’s the immigration wait time for these morning flight arrivals? My recent HND arrivals on NH (from LHR) and QF (from SYD) have been in the evening, and immigration has been v busy. Well over an hour on the NH flight. Is morning better?
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by BasilBush
What’s the immigration wait time for these morning flight arrivals? My recent HND arrivals on NH (from LHR) and QF (from SYD) have been in the evening, and immigration has been v busy. Well over an hour on the NH flight. Is morning better?
Hi,

My experiences ( BA 7 in Dec) and JL 42 in JAN ( JL 42 arriving on a Saturday) was virtually walking straight up to an agent, I was using airport free wifi for my Customs/immigration form so waited a couple of minutes before joining the immigration lines to connect to wifi

Last year 1st May in the evening ( arriving off JL44 ( evening dep from LHR) at about 1745 equally minimal wait

Regards

TBS
irish_goat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.