Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ongoing issues with BA7 and BA8 Tokyo Haneda service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2023, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP

BA7 has been cancelled two out of the last 3 days so does anyone know why and how were the affected passengers accommodated ?....Reason we're flying BA8 next wednesday in Business
mrow and Townni like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pyffii
BA7 has been cancelled two out of the last 3 days so does anyone know why and how were the affected passengers accommodated ?....Reason we're flying BA8 next wednesday in Business
Don’t know why it was cancelled but a traveller on that BA8 flight posted about their experience here
BA8 HND to LHR
posts #30 & #37

Was placed on the closest equivalent JAL flight. Initially with a downgrade to economy from premium economy but a chat with a JL rep at the BA desk at HND restored their place in JL’s answer to WTP.
Old May 16, 2023, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

thanks and fingers crossed that we have an ontime departure next Wednesday
LapLap likes this.
Old May 17, 2023, 1:24 am

Aircraft serviceability issues on the 787 fleet. Yesterdays BA 7 was cancelled to send the aircraft to SIN due to another aircraft having tech defects there. As a result BA 8 was also cancelled.
LapLap, pyffii, msm2000uk and 1 others like this.
Old May 17, 2023, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for this update this then poses another question in that how do BA accommodate all those passengers without mayhem and agro developing …..I’d assume a lot of very angry passengers especially those who were downgraded
Old May 17, 2023, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Thanks for this update this then poses another question in that how do BA accommodate all those passengers without mayhem and agro developing
With difficulty!
SxMan likes this.
Old May 17, 2023, 2:07 am

Thanks for this update this then poses another question in that how do BA accommodate all those passengers without mayhem and agro developing …..I’d assume a lot of very angry passengers especially those who were downgraded
Most likely via a process known as a FIM or Flight Interruption Manifest and using IATA resolution 735d in order to find inventory, and reassign coupons via any route necessary. BA will wish to utilise their own metal first, than the Siberian JBA and other bilateral agreements (QR), then by digging into their own pocket via the likes of ANA/EY/EK, albeit they’ll do the last if dragged kicking and screaming by their ears.
LapLap, SW7London, HIDDY and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Sigwx; May 17, 2023 at 2:21 am
Old May 17, 2023, 10:47 am

I've just seen that they've cancelled tomorrow's ba7 and I'm looking nervously at my ba7 flight on Friday.

I'd assume that they have a responsibility to get people back who they've sent out to Japan but what happens to those of us on our outward leg, we're booked in business using avios.

If they cancel Friday will they find an alternative flight on the same day or do we have to do that ourselves?
Old May 17, 2023, 3:37 pm

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Looks like BA7 cancelled on Saturday too.

So how does rebooking work? 200+ passengers will be tough to rebook given all the flights are so full. Who gets priority for the handful of seats available on JAL etc?
Old May 17, 2023, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by 2358
Looks like BA7 cancelled on Saturday too.

So how does rebooking work? 200+ passengers will be tough to rebook given all the flights are so full. Who gets priority for the handful of seats available on JAL etc?
All of these tech cancellations are tactical - BA will cancel the flight with the best rebooking rates to give them a standby or to protect a service with less favourable rebooking rates. So there must be a reason why a few of these flights have been cancelled along with SJC. When the flight is cancelled they will run a rebooking tool which automatically rebooks everyone onto different flights and lets them know their new flight details which can be amended in ‘Manage my Booking’.
Old May 17, 2023, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
This is only my speculation but the combined Russia/Ukraine War that has been going for over an year has BA routing through much more lenthy path. That combined with passenger count probably contributes negatively to their bottom line. If the war had not been happening, BA would fly the shorter route via Russia Airspace and there would be lower chance for cancellation.

Jiburi
Old May 17, 2023, 6:47 pm

BA8 on 19 May

We have just been notified BA8 cancelled on 19th May we no explanation. We were Club World, now rebooked to Economy on JAL. We used companion voucher so probably bottom of the tree. Anyone else managed to sort cabin or alternative? So annoying with no explanation or anyone to contact our of UK hours. After years & years of being loyal to BA…
Old May 17, 2023, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

We're on BA8 on Wednesday May 24th with a revenue Club World ticket and maintaining Emerald status so theres no way we will accept anything other than business in case of a cancellation....And too boot we need to be in Barcelona by Friday night as we have a cruise that begins on Saturday....starting to get concerned and not the way to begin our long awaited overseas holiday
Old May 17, 2023, 9:04 pm

Flying on BA7 Friday 26th something to worry about. Hopefully things should be sorted out by then.
Old May 18, 2023, 12:01 am

Good luck all who are flying to Japan soon. Not withstanding the poor 787 experience we had on our trip in March (including downgrades due to “operational reasons” and onboard announcements about an inoperative IFE and unresponsive IFE screens), Japan remains a wonderful destination and the Yen rate is in our favour, too.

Fortunately the winter timetable is (currently) showing the 777-300 back on the route for the BA5 and BA6 departures which should help improve both availability, experience and reliability. I’ve shared my own thoughts many times on never flying BA to Japan again after our March experience but it’s good to see a proper longhaul aircraft back on the route with Club Suites, too. I’ll be using Finnair and JAL.
WoodleyBeacon and SxMan like this.

Last edited by Door5L; May 18, 2023 at 12:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.