Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strange Issue with Avios ticket change - compensatable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Hi all, not sure if there's a correct thread to post this in already, but I had an F award ticket for LHR-SEA departing earlier this week and changed my flight to LHR-SFO departing today. Everything looked ok up until I arrived at LHR, other than the app telling me to check in in-person, so I was surprised when I was unable to check in. I was then told by the check-in agent that the revised booking "had been created but the ticket had not been issued," which required me calling the Avios help line to resolve. I was on the phone for ~75 minutes to ultimately get the ticket issued (and one of the First Wing check-in agents even called the BA Gold Card line for me at the same time I was on hold with the regular number, despite me not being a Gold Card holder) and did manage to get my ticket issued. Given the lengthy delay in what I perhaps naively assume should be a simple process and which would have resulted in me missing my flight if it wasn't delayed for A380 issues, is this something that I could request compensation from BA for?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
No sadly no compensation due and you are lucky to get restocked because if you had missed the flight not being in possession of a reservation and ticket would mean no denied boarding.

There’s a few threads on here unable to check in… most likely is ticket hasn’t been reissued and as there are no ticket desks at airports now even the team has to call to get it changed.

Have a great flight though.
SuperEWR likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Got it, that's good to know, and yeah it was the ticket not having been reissued, plus no ticket desk so having to call in and being put on long "brief" holds (I should have expected that when the agent kept asking how long I had until my flight departed)
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
It is absolutely worth a complaint and I'd expect a non-negligible amount of Avios to be issued (or an e-voucher).

It looks like BA did the right thing mostly by giving you access to the gold line, and you were indeed lucky to get ticketed in the end.
SuperEWR and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This is a known feature of manual changes to bookings. If it happens again, run through the checklist in the main OLCI thread - checking ticket numbers is high up that list and would have saved you a lot of time. Or just ask in this forum, it's so well known that someone would have told you within an hour. Had BA not resolved this before departure time then yes compensation may have been payable, but you almost certainly would want to avoid that since the outcome is rarely enjoyable overall.

They contacted the Gold line since they know Manchester and Newcastle can force a re-issue more quickly than New Delhi.
SuperEWR likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Going forward for any future bookings its worth looking at the App and see if there's a 125 ticket number. If not you can call up before doing OLCI or discovering it at the airport.
SuperEWR likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I think had you not been ticketed (now a happily hypothetical case) there would be an IDB claim because you did have a confirmed reservation. Although anyone who's been in this situation will now carefully check ticket numbers, it's not really the consumer's job to understand the difference between a PNR and a ticket.
SuperEWR and mikeyfly like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bisonrav
It is absolutely worth a complaint and I'd expect a non-negligible amount of Avios to be issued (or an e-voucher).

It looks like BA did the right thing mostly by giving you access to the gold line, and you were indeed lucky to get ticketed in the end.
Will give it a go and see what I get, though the previous post suggests compensation is unlikely. It actually may have been the main line that got it through (but very well could have been the gold line), at that point I was simultaneously on the phone with the main line from my mobile and the gold line from the Concorde Team desk at the end of the First Wing. The gold line had also put payment through for the reticket (maybe 30 minutes after the main line did) and I was on hold with them when the main line took me off hold and told me I was good to go

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is a known feature of manual changes to bookings. If it happens again, run through the checklist in the main OLCI thread - checking ticket numbers is high up that list and would have saved you a lot of time. Or just ask in this forum, it's so well known that someone would have told you within an hour. Had BA not resolved this before departure time then yes compensation may have been payable, but you almost certainly would want to avoid that since the outcome is rarely enjoyable overall.

They contacted the Gold line since they know Manchester and Newcastle can force a re-issue more quickly than New Delhi.
Got it, that's good to know in the future, this was only my second flight with an Avios ticket (or BA overall as I am US-based) and my first where I had changed the ticket to a different date / destination. My experience with "regular" ticketing on other airlines was that it was pretty quick, so I didn't think it would become a 75-minute issue, but that lesson has been learned...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.