Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA wet-leases Danish Air Transport (DAT) aircraft for Summer ‘24; rebooking policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA wet-leases Danish Air Transport (DAT) aircraft for Summer ‘24; rebooking policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2024, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Whilst you can indeed try, no, you haven't understood the rules correctly (unless BA voluntarily published a specific rebooking guideline for this specific change which I am not aware of) - the airline is entitled to use a wet lease, indeed, virtually all European airlines do that.

Can I ask if there is a particular reason you want to change? The service you'll get will be exactly the same as you would on BA (this is not a codeshare, just a wet lease), only the plane will look different but for all you know may well prove more comfortable than some of BA's own!
BA or bust and scottishpoet like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 3:08 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
BA actually do have a policy which may help the OP and I have linked to it in post 11 in that thread.

However many agents are not aware of it, so as per the other posters I would recommend waiting for the specific internal guidelines relating to Danish Air Transport to be published. I imagine this will happen by early next week. If I spot them I will put a link in the other thread.

Last edited by aks120; Mar 20, 2024 at 10:30 pm Reason: Removed link post merge
Old Mar 20, 2024, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by lcylocal

BA actually do have a policy which may help the OP and I have linked to it in post 11 in that thread.

However many agents are not aware of it, so as per the other posters I would recommend waiting for the specific internal guidelines relating to Danish Air Transport to be published. I imagine this will happen by early next week. If I spot them I will put a link in the other thread.

Ah yes the format has changed slightly, as previously there was a specific policy for each wetlease whereas now its a general one for leased aircraft.
Tobias-UK likes this.

Last edited by aks120; Mar 20, 2024 at 10:31 pm Reason: Removed quoted link post merge
Old Mar 20, 2024, 4:16 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by lcylocal
In addition to whatever specific commercial policy is issued, BA also have a standard customer guideline for this: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...eased-aircraft

This allows a passenger on a BA ticket to move the previous or next BA operated departure.

The specific policies are often a little more flexible than this.
I wonder what they do with a flight that is once a day.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Then you have no option other than to use it or lose it.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 4:44 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by iadisgreat

May offer you a rebooking on another OW carrier or a refund I guess?
Old Mar 20, 2024, 4:52 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Rob0895
May offer you a rebooking on another OW carrier or a refund I guess?
Originally Posted by BERbound
Then you have no option other than to use it or lose it.
Sounds good thanks for the advice! I'll wait a few days to see if further guidance comes out, if not I don't think it's terribly expensive to change my departure airport at the moment, so I guess I can just eat change in fare if they don't have a better option and I decide to change.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 5:44 pm

Programs: QF
The AY leases are ended later this month so not all that surprising
RJD1983 and Bluekjp like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
You will be allowed to change but just give it a few days for the policy to be internally communicated
Old Mar 20, 2024, 6:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
i think there was always a general change of operator policy in the standard guidelines - but often supplemented by a specific one for certain wetleases.

The summary of the general policy is, if it has changed since you booked you can change to a BA operated flight on the same route for free. I am sure it used to be any BA flight up to -2/+2 but it seems to now say the closest available BA flight. A specific policy might come and provide a bit more flexibility in terms of time frame.
RJD1983, LCSinTexas and lcylocal like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC
I mean here we are four years after the pandemic and BA are still short of planes *yawn*

Can the airline not forward plan?

From what I’ve heard, it’s at least two aircraft on lease. That means we’ve now had since the pandemic - Avios Express, Iberia, Titan, Finnair, DAT…

Interestingly these seem to be operating on longer sectors too (i.e Greece) which isn’t great given the lack of WiFi and in-seat power.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 12:48 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I mean here we are four years after the pandemic and BA are still short of planes *yawn*

So you’re saying in March 2020 BA should have known exactly how long the pandemic would last and what impact it would have on demand for air travel?
RJD1983, stifle, flyerkit and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:04 pm

As of today in the last four years BA have received 13 new A320 family aircraft and they've 'let go' of 13 old A320 family aircraft. Seems pretty straightforward and well planned to me.
They've got about seven new aircraft due in the next couple of months so you could ask why they appear to have too many routes rather than too few aircraft.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
So you’re saying in March 2020 BA should have known exactly how long the pandemic would last and what impact it would have on demand for air travel?
No, but the pandemic is a long way behind us now and BA are still short of crew and planes - they’ve had long enough to resolve that issue.

All well and good unveiling new short haul seats, but they’re no good when you’re flying DAT!
Old Mar 21, 2024, 2:06 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond

From what I’ve heard, it’s at least two aircraft on lease. That means we’ve now had since the pandemic - Avios Express, Iberia, Titan, Finnair, DAT…

Interestingly these seem to be operating on longer sectors too (i.e Greece) which isn’t great given the lack of WiFi and in-seat power.
Well they’ve had at least a few short haul aircraft in storage the whole time (I believe there are still a couple). So it’s not a shortage of aircraft but a shortage of crew I believe.

I’m guessing flight deck crew in particular. BA have re-opened their Academy for the first time in a long time, but it does take time to train people (and again I’m guessing but it probably also takes some people away from the ‘day job’ to deliver more training). There are still airlines around the world that want to employ UK pilots, so there is a pull factor too on their existing staff.

BA in particular must fly a fairly ambitious flying programme to retain rights to slots, in particular at Heathrow, but not only there. They are also probably flying a few more short haul flights and fewer long haul, because of availability of wide body aircraft.

I’m not in a position to know whether they could or couldn’t have done better with all of this over the last 4 years, but there are genuinely a lot of moving parts.
RJD1983 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.