Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concorde at LHR looking a little sad…

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I've always hoped that Heathrow would make a viewing area for geeks like me to watch the planes as they land, similar to what Manchester has. Would basically just need to consist of a small mound with some benches/paths. The ideal location would be on the site of the 'Southside T4 parking' or the grassy area next to it, which is next to Hatton Cross tube (so easy to get to) and near the threshold of 27L. If this ever happens (unlikely, but we can dream), it would be great for them to incorporate G-BOAB into it. I mean the interior sounds like it's in a right state, but with some (probably a lot of) restoration work they could even turn it into a ticketed attraction like the one at Brooklands. But at the very least having it there, well presented and able to be walked around and admired would be amazing.
BA or bust and DelTroon like this.

Last edited by zaphod424; Mar 19, 2024 at 7:10 am
Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:17 am

Programs: Virgin
Originally Posted by zaphod424
I've always hoped that Heathrow would make a viewing area for geeks like me to watch the planes as they land, similar to what Manchester has. Would basically just need to consist of a small mound with some benches/paths. The ideal location would be on the site of the 'Southside T4 parking' or the grassy area next to it, which is next to Hatton Cross tube (so easy to get to) and near the threshold of 27L. If this ever happens (unlikely, but we can dream), it would be great for them to incorporate G-BOAB into it. I mean the interior sounds like it's in a right state, but with some (probably a lot of) restoration work they could even turn it into a ticketed attraction like the one at Brooklands. But at the very least having it there, well presented and able to be walked around and admired would be amazing.
There used to be a viewing area somewhere in Heathrow, I remember travelling there when I was a teenager, must have been around 2000 or thereabouts. I guess it closed after 9/11. It was pretty basic, a few viewing areas and a cafe if my memory serves!
Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:32 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by FartinLewis
There used to be a viewing area somewhere in Heathrow, I remember travelling there when I was a teenager, must have been around 2000 or thereabouts. I guess it closed after 9/11. It was pretty basic, a few viewing areas and a cafe if my memory serves!
The Green Man has served me well after a stroll from the Hilton Hatton Cross
the phoenix likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by FartinLewis
There was a viewing platform on top of the Queens Building (which contained airport and airline offices). The building was demolished in 2009 to make way for a Terminal 2 redevelopment. I spent a few afternoons up there!
Old Mar 19, 2024, 11:16 am

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP

There are other ways to display them and their looky-likies! Technik Museum Sinsheim...
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by zaphod424
I suspect that such a facility next to the UKs “premier” airport would present too much of a security risk; easy to quickly fire off a couple of rocket propelled grenades or a mortar at passing aircraft. Let’s face it, the authorities don’t want anyone hanging around at the airport unless they are fare paying passengers.

Unless you have “Big Jet TV” painted on the side of your van

“Easy, easy………………. bosh!”
Old Mar 19, 2024, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by the phoenix
But having been to visit a few times, I can say we’d taken good care to preserve her. And it’s just returned from a new servicing these past few months. Come see G-BOAD in NY
The display on the Intrepid is fantastic, it's really well looked after. Thoroughly enjoyed my last visit.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by fruitcage
If you type G-BOAB into Google maps, you can see the exact location and it's clearly visible with satellite view.
It seems to be the only plane at LHR! Had no idea that Google Maps removed the planes from maps
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Jase76
It seems to be the only plane at LHR! Had no idea that Google Maps removed the planes from maps
Not everywhere.
I was looking at Glasgow earlier this week, and a Hifly Malta A340 was notably visible.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 4:14 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
When was the last time Alpha Bravo was towed anywhere? Also, count me in for Operation Conc Clean

Very unlikely, but given the anniversary of the first commercial flight is just under two years away now imagine sneaking the old girl up to T5 for a photoshoot
Old Mar 20, 2024, 5:46 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
The Green Man has served me well after a stroll from the Hilton Hatton Cross
YES! So back in....2005, our friend was the publican at the Green Man. We stayed a few nights with her upstairs and woke up to planes overhead and a pint in the AM. Fun times. Were you a patron back then?

Originally Posted by Lucanesque
The display on the Intrepid is fantastic, it's really well looked after.
Yes indeed. Im proud since we got a lot of crap back then. If you are ever in NY, please come to the Intrepid. It's fantastic inside and out. On G-BOAD, you can sit inside up to row 8 IIRC.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:40 am
a_k

Programs: AY+ Plat
We literally stopped right beside it on the taxiway the other day. 10/10 luck!
PLeblond likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by IJN Harekaze
When was the last time Alpha Bravo was towed anywhere? Also, count me in for Operation Conc Clean

Very unlikely, but given the anniversary of the first commercial flight is just under two years away now imagine sneaking the old girl up to T5 for a photoshoot
Would two years be long enough to get one of the aircraft flying again? Surely there's a pilot or two out there who could come out of retirement for a one-off flight?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
Would two years be long enough to get one of the aircraft flying again? Surely there's a pilot or two out there who could come out of retirement for a one-off flight?
There's no support from Airbus, so until then, it's staying on terra firma.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:28 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by fluffymitten
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
There's no support from Airbus, so until then, it's staying on terra firma.
Only thing that needs is a crazy billionaire who has a dream.

Anybody know one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.