Wiki Posts
Search

Concorde at LHR looking a little sad…

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2024, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Concorde at LHR looking a little sad…

Rather sad to see the Concorde at Heathrow looking neglected, in need of a good wash 🧼!

Typo - title should read “Concorde at LHR looking a little sad”
crazy8534 likes this.

Last edited by ademanuele; Mar 18, 2024 at 12:03 pm
Old Mar 18, 2024, 11:41 am

where can you see it at Heathrow ?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 11:43 am
Original Poster

It is parked on the east side of the south runway, easy to miss, looks so small compared to modern aircraft…
Old Mar 18, 2024, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by rnavuc
right hand side of the aircraft just before you touch down if you land on the south runway approach from london

Left side of the aircraft if you take off on the south runway towards windsor, you will see it as you turn right and await your turn to enter the runway.

Also on the left side if you take off on the south runway toward london but its difficult as you climb.

The nearest one to heathrow you can visit and touch is at Brooklands museum in Weybridge.
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is a letter in today's Daily Telegraph about this.

Originally Posted by The Daily Telegraph
SIR – How ironic to see one of the retired British Airways Concorde aircraft (G-BOAD) being returned for display at the Intrepid Museum in New York after its local restoration (report, March 15).
By comparison, one of our other celebrated retirees (G-BOAB) has been abandoned, allowed slowly to deteriorate at Heathrow for many years – unloved and exposed to the weather. Passengers who pass it in taxiing aircraft must be astonished.
British Airways should be ashamed.
Brian Collins
Edgware, Middlesex
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

If a suitable scaffolding was erected etc we could get a gang of Flyertalkers/AV Geeks together and wash it. BigJet TV could do the commentary.

" Too much shampoo there, easy.....easy son"
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
photo taken from 1A JL 42 LHR-HND 12th Jan

Hi,
Apologies for the blurry image, This was taken just after take off from 1A on JL 42 LHR-HND on 12th Jan. Agree it is difficult to get a good shot on take off

Concorde taken from 1a JL 42

Regards
TBS
HNL1K, jlemon, DaveS and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I heard that it was being used as storage for boxes of old documents, also acting as ballast- presumably so that it didn't take to the air again in the face of strong southerly wind!
Sadly I also heard that it suffered an infestation of vermin, so most likely the inside is in a sorry state.

Apparently this is what it looked like inside in 2010:

Source

I am re-rallying myself to organise a FT do in EDI with a trip to the museum of flight and their beautifully-maintained concorde, if you are interested feel free to DM me.
HNL1K, PETER01, dgreen678 and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
Particularly sad for those of us who flew on G-BOAB
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by crazy8534
I heard that it was being used as storage for boxes of old documents, also acting as ballast- presumably so that it didn't take to the air again in the face of strong southerly wind!
Sadly I also heard that it suffered an infestation of vermin, so most likely the inside is in a sorry state.

Apparently this is what it looked like inside in 2010:

Source

I am re-rallying myself to organise a FT do in EDI with a trip to the museum of flight and their beautifully-maintained concorde, if you are interested feel free to DM me.

There's now water-filled ballast tanks inside.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:58 pm

There is a very clean, shiny, and gorgeous nosecone in LHR T5... I sit in the dining table next to it often.
It's in the Concorde Club Room.
EuropeanPete and crazy8534 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 3:40 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Help ma BOAB !

HIDDY, PETER01, Sealink and 8 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by rnavuc
If you type G-BOAB into Google maps, you can see the exact location and it's clearly visible with satellite view.
ademanuele likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 3:47 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by ademanuele
It is parked on the east side of the south runway, easy to miss, looks so small compared to modern aircraft…
She's still 204 ft long, and 178 tons. That's a fair size.
SxMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.