Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Household Account...Help me understand if I messed up...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:51 am
Original Poster

I booked a BA holiday for myself and my 16yo son and we are headed to the UK from the US next week (Hotels and flight from IAD-LHR and back in Business). I made him an Executive Club account and also made a household account.

My booking says we will each receive 11K Avios and 280 Tier points. After thinking about it, I'm wondering if I made a mistake in doing this since he really won't be needing/using any of the Avios that will be going into his account.

Am I correct to think that if I just had my Executive Club account number on the booking that I would get 22k Avios in my account? Can i just transfer the 11K from his account to my name once the miles post, or should I contact BA to change how I have it booked right now?

Sorry If this doesn't make any sense, but I'm new to the whole program and not sure what the best course of action would be.

Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
No that would not work. Only the passenger earns TP and Avios regardless of who pays for the flight.
You could open a Household Account and benefit from your son's Avios but the TPs he earns are his alone.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJA_
No that would not work. Only the passenger earns TP and Avios regardless of who pays for the flight.
You could open a Household Account and benefit from your son's Avios but the TPs he earns are his alone.
So the 11K Avios that will go into his account can be used by me at a later date with no issue?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:59 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Rydad1
I booked a BA holiday for myself and my 16yo son and we are headed to the UK from the US next week (Hotels and flight from IAD-LHR and back in Business). I made him an Executive Club account and also made a household account.

My booking says we will each receive 11K Avios and 280 Tier points. After thinking about it, I'm wondering if I made a mistake in doing this since he really won't be needing/using any of the Avios that will be going into his account.

Am I correct to think that if I just had my Executive Club account number on the booking that I would get 22k Avios in my account? Can i just transfer the 11K from his account to my name once the miles post, or should I contact BA to change how I have it booked right now?

Sorry If this doesn't make any sense, but I'm new to the whole program and not sure what the best course of action would be.

Thanks!
No, Avios and Tier Points are always allocated to the individual. You will only receive the 11k allocated to you, and your son will get the same.

What a household account does is pool the Avios available amongst individuals. This means that although your son will have 11k Avios from the flight, you will have access to them and can spend them as they are pooled with any other household account members. Of course, this is true for all in the account, i.e. your son will now have access to your Avios, so you'll need to trust him not to spend yours

Household accounts are a good way of accessing relatively small amounts of Avios from people who otherwise don't accrue enough to be useful. There are some limitations with them, primarily you are much more limited on who you can spend Avios on - basically those in the Household plus a list of 5 others nominated individuals, but it sounds like it could be an appropriate approach for you.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
No, Avios and Tier Points are always allocated to the individual. You will only receive the 11k allocated to you, and your son will get the same.

What a household account does is pool the Avios available amongst individuals. This means that although your son will have 11k Avios from the flight, you will have access to them and can spend them as they are pooled with any other household account members. Of course, this is true for all in the account, i.e. your son will now have access to your Avios, so you'll need to trust him not to spend yours

Household accounts are a good way of accessing relatively small amounts of Avios from people who otherwise don't accrue enough to be useful. There are some limitations with them, primarily you are much more limited on who you can spend Avios on - basically those in the Household plus a list of 5 others nominated individuals, but it sounds like it could be an appropriate approach for you.
Thank you!
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:59 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Thank you!
Just to add that… when you spend Avios they are deducted proportionately from each account. A couple of examples:a) if you booked yourself a reward flight for, say, 12,000 Avios it would take 6,000 from each account leaving 5,000 left in each one.

b) if you continue to earn Avios and in a few months you had 22,000 in yours (and still only 11,000 in your son’s account), then that same 12,000 Avios reward flight would take 8,000 Avios from your account and 4,000 from your son’s account. So leaving 14,000 in yours but only your 7,000 in your son’s account.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:03 am

So the 11K Avios that will go into his account can be used by me at a later date with no issue?
Yes. If you have 22k avios in your HHA, of which 11k are yours and 11k are his, then yes you can use them all for you (or him). Obviously there may become a point where he shows an interest in them himself...
Old Mar 20, 2024, 3:48 pm

I was looking into information about household pooling for BA and I am glad I found this thread.

Both spouse and myself have BAEC and I would like my spouse to be able to access my avios and the other way around.

For some issue I can't resolve getting my Qatar avios to transfer over to my BAEC account because my middle is not showing in my BA account it is does in my Qatar account.

Will try to setup a HHA . Any word caution to make sure I don't mess up?

TQ!
Old Mar 20, 2024, 4:13 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by Keflyer
I was looking into information about household pooling for BA and I am glad I found this thread.

Both spouse and myself have BAEC and I would like my spouse to be able to access my avios and the other way around.

For some issue I can't resolve getting my Qatar avios to transfer over to my BAEC account because my middle is not showing in my BA account it is does in my Qatar account.

Will try to setup a HHA . Any word caution to make sure I don't mess up?

TQ!
A HH account is a pooling arrangement, it has no impact on any issues with an individual account. So you can set up the HH account first. When you transfer in from another (e.g. Qatar) you are solely transferring into your own account. Now if the transfer does not work because of a names mismatch, you have to deal with that independently.
Steve in Olympia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.