Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why BA Flights are Split Between T-5 and T-3

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2024, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS

Why is it that BA flights to places like VIE and PRG are all the way over in T-3 yet IB flights from LHR are in T-5? Don't BA flights take precedence over IB in T-5 ?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 5:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Even if IB weren’t in T5, there wouldn’t be the facilities needed for all of BA’s flights.

When T5 was first thought of way back when, it might have been big enough for BA, but BA is bigger now and T5 isn’t big enough. Some routes are in T5 because T3 can’t handle them (domestic and CTA) and otherwise it’s down to commercial considerations.
orbitmic, Blenheim, becks1 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 5:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Why is it that BA flights to places like VIE and PRG are all the way over in T-3 yet IB flights from LHR are in T-5? Don't BA flights take precedence over IB in T-5 ?
Higher % of US connections on combined BA/IB LHR-MAD so they both operate out of T5. But I see your point.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 7:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
IB used to operate from Terminal 3 along with BA flights. The answer is there’s not enough room at T5. That said flights do switch between terminals from time to time as they work out which flights have more connections and where will ever possible have those in the same terminal to make the transfer process easier
Old Mar 12, 2024, 2:24 am

Will T5 be big enough for all OW flights if the third terminal building ever gets built?
Old Mar 12, 2024, 2:46 am

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
IB switched to T3 from July 2022 to June 2023. I presume the data didn't support IB staying at T3.

BA and IB are the same company anyway I don't see why BA would have to "take precedence" over IB…
Old Mar 12, 2024, 3:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
IB moved to T3 in 2022 because they were fed up with BA as a ground handler. you may remember at the time BA under the wing were pretty rubbish with lots of delays loading and unloading aircraft., I think they used Menzies in T3.
BA6501 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 3:31 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
The reason that this nonsense started goes way back. When T5 opened it was known that the baggage operation had to be in bins. The 757s that were still operating could not take bins so they went to T3 which could do both.
Others may know better but there is no rhyme nor reason why certain flights go from T3. The sooner that BA is out of that drab and dingy dump the better. Sorry if it incommodes the Lounge hoppers, but that situation is getting out of hand from what I can observe.
Still the whole system at Heathrow is so redolent of a task incomplete with bus boarding in this day and age. If they’re going to use T3 then do so and make sure that there is a jetway for every blessed flight.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
there is no rhyme nor reason why certain flights go from T3.
T3 is needed for capacity reasons, and the routes there tend to be ones with primarily O&D traffic only - i.e. fewer connecting passengers.
revorgap likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Maybe if they extended T5C to the size it was originally supposed to be and then built T5D and T5E (that were planned) this would allow BA to operate from one terminal but I guess these decisions are HAA and not BA.
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
The only thing I find odd about this is why BA operate flights with F from T3. Doing so means they have to provide the amenities for F in T3 as well as 5, which surely creates extra costs vs streamlining F into T5. Surely it would make more sense to only operate flights without F from T3, so just SH and flights on the 350, 788, or 772 configured without F.
marconess, SxMan and tunis97x like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 4:13 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by rugby23
T3 is needed for capacity reasons, and the routes there tend to be ones with primarily O&D traffic only - i.e. fewer connecting passengers.
Honey - do not take this in the wrong way at all - but is that your surmise or has someone with BA told you that?
Old Mar 12, 2024, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by zaphod424
Surely it would make more sense to only operate flights without F from T3, so just SH and flights on the 350, 788, or 772 configured without F.
I thought this was mostly true already for longhaul (except for a couple of Caribbean flights), the likes of LAS, SAN, PHX, and DEN don't have the easy F redemptions they used to have.

Which makes it weirder that they now have a sort of CCR in T3 after this change.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 4:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Honey - do not take this in the wrong way at all - but is that your surmise or has someone with BA told you that?
I can't point to anything specific as to why I think this, but my understanding was that the issue of O&D was a significant - but not the only - factor, when deciding to send the service off to T3. And certainly at one point, when flights like LUX, LYS and LAS were T3, it seemed to ring true. However the other factor was the timetable, T3 doesn't have the staff to manage too many services at the same time. Hence I suspect it's a combination of factors, with some trade offs involved.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
The key thing to note is that all flights aren't evenly spread out throughout the day.

Removing an IB flight from T5 at 10am doesn't enable you to slot in a BA flight at 5pm.

So where there's points of congestion in T5, they move flights to T3, and they choose ones which typically have the fewest connections to other T5 flights if possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.