Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Aerosol Sprayed over All Passengers before Take Off

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy - Ambassador; AS - MVP Gold

I apologies if this is already posted elsewhere. I did a search and couldn’t find it. Please direct me to the correct thread if it already exists.

I flew Singapore to London today on BA. I am a frequent flyer (many different airlines) with ~45 flights in the last 4 months. This is the first time I have ever seen something like this.

After closing the doors and the safety video had completed. The crew announced over the speakers; “for your safety we will be coming through the cabin and spraying an antiviral chemical over all passengers and seats. Please don’t be concerned, this is safe, but you will want to close your eyes as the spray can burn your eyes if contact occurs.”

I was shocked because I wasn’t notified this was going to happen and clearly we didn’t have a choice in the matter of being sprayed. Also, we are just supposed to take their word that whatever chemical I’m being sprayed with is safe? I quickly put my sweatshirt over my head and held my breath as they walked by. Even so after taking my first breath the air had a burning sensation in my throat when I breathed. I also had my first nose bleed on an airplane on this flight (which of course may not be related, but was surprised when it happened).

Does anyone know what was sprayed on us? Has anyone seen this before? Is it new? Is it just on flights leaving Asia? Are there side effects to the spray?

Not a pleasant experience. The flight went down hill from there with a very frantic disheveled crew.

Thanks
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's an anti-mosquito spray, a very common procedure around Asia and not just on BA. It is harmless apart from contact lenses (and I'm not even sure about that, I'm sure my contacts have survived contact, as it were). It is d-phenothrin (Phenothrin)'and you can look that up if you want to be reassured about its safety.

The message you heard wasn't the correct one, at least in terms of how it appeared in your post. There is usually a pre-amble which points out it is a legal requirement, and that the purpose is to prevent the spread of disease between countries. BA doesn't have a choice about this, in some countries the first thing the IFM has to do when opening the doors for arrival is present at least one emptied spray canister per aisle (so 4 plus on a A380).
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:26 am

Have had it on AirAsia flights between Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. While smell wasn't pleasant I did not suffer I'll effects you describe. What I understood from CC announcement it had something to do with flying insects. Or I could be wrong of course.
RJD1983 and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Blah Blah...
The only spray I've ever had sprayed on me on a plane was insecticide, which often occurs from the far east countries and/or australia. I cannot imagine it would be dangerous else BA would get sued beyond belief. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to explain.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Used to get this all the time from dubai on ba and on ek. No idea if its still done on that route as its a while since i flew it

Never had any problems, nor did anyone else i flew with on the monthly flights i took on the route for 2 years

Last edited by scottishpoet; Mar 10, 2024 at 3:48 am
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I am surprised with all the flights you have taken that you have never flown out of area with the risk of malaria?
Most African and Asian city’s will have this process heading to Europe or Australia, if I said that I have sprayed aircraft hundreds of times I wouldn’t be exaggerating, the spraying is on the advice of the WHO and non toxic.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I should also point out that this has been the process in Asia (and some parts of Africa and Latin America) for over 50 years to my certain knowledge. The current WHO guideline, still in place, dates to 1995 but that formalised what was already in place via the ICAO. It's a specific requirement, in many cases, for the passengers to be sprayed, you can't do it before boarding (though that is allowed in certain scenarios). From a USA perspective it is quite a short list of countries, India and Panama are the two that the OP may have encountered before.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SoCalNorCal
Does anyone know what was sprayed on us?
https://www.aero-sense.com/en/asd-aircraft-insecticide

They've been spraying on flights to and from India for many years, at least back into the 90s if I recall correctly.

They spray it into the air - not directly onto the passengers. And it's not anti viral.

The announcement the OP quotes is strange, I've been on flights where the spray has been required dozens of times and have never heard it announced this way.

It's more like - We are required to spray this insecticide. If you have contacts or you think your eyes may be bothered close them for a few seconds after we pass by.....

Last edited by mrandery; Mar 10, 2024 at 3:45 am
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:44 am

I guess the crew get board with the same announcement every time and don’t understand the difference between a virus and an insect. I blame single rather than separate sciences at schools.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:44 am

I am no physician, but I suspect that allowing yourself to get rather worked up about the spray did far more harm to your health and enjoyment of the flight than the spray itself.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I guess the crew get board with the same announcement every time and don’t understand the difference between a virus and an insect. I blame single rather than separate sciences at schools.
the crew read the announcement from a script.

Going off script is not recommended
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:55 am

Interesting discussion from 2012 on the same topic :

Pesticide spraying in cabin - health risks and a bs justification?
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:56 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Frequent flier, but clearly not to the tropics It is harmless, as others have pointed out, and has been standard practice across airlines for decades.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Or, equally likely, the OP misheard.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
OP, if it makes you feel more relaxed, I have had that sprayed in the cabin at over a 100 times when I used to commute from BKK on BA in the late 90's and early 00's.

I'm still here and going strong. 💪🏻
DiamondMile and Fatdickie like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.