Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pesticide spraying in cabin - health risks and a bs justification?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, AAdvantage, Untied, US Airways, Skypesos, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, Priority Club.

On a recent BA flight departing from Honkers, there was a short announcement made about spraying the cabin and then the purser walked through down one aisle and up the other with two cans spraying stuff into the air. The british businessman who I'd been chatting with across the divider covered his nose/mouth with a hankerchief(always prepared ^) while I held my breath. It did cause my eyes to get watery though and I was wondering what it was.

If you look on their website(URL below), they indicate that it was MANDATORY to spray in the Honkers flight along with flights departing from PEK and PVG. However, I've flown China Eastern and Air China on those routes and don't seem to recall the spraying(who knows though, the spray could be affecting my memory).

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...o/public/en_us

Anyway, do people here think that their justification holds water? IE, that they're MANDATED to spray the cabin by the WHO? How harmful/toxic is the spray anyway?

I loved the service and the Bucks Fizz, but I don't appreciate breathing in pesticides.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:45 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
That's insane. Why don't they spray right after they finish "cleaning" the cabin, before the passengers are onboard? Significantly safer for all involved. And a good reminder why you should wipe down every surface in the plane before using it.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:56 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL

Same from CAI and African destinations. I think it is a UK govt requirement. It's to kill any insects which might be carrying disease so it would be pointless to do it after cleaning, it has to be done after the doors are closed. Perfectly safe.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:10 am

I wonder if this is an area whereBritish regulations differ from, say, US regulations? Either way, if the authorities allow spraying during taxi, I'm going to use my phone. Logically either both are safe or neither.

Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, AAdvantage, Untied, US Airways, Skypesos, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, Priority Club.
Originally Posted by highpeaklad
Same from CAI and African destinations. I think it is a UK govt requirement. It's to kill any insects which might be carrying disease so it would be pointless to do it after cleaning, it has to be done after the doors are closed. Perfectly safe.
It may very well be a UK gov requirement(link available?) but BA at least is claiming that they're mandated to do so by the WHO(does the WHO even have legal competency to require this?).

Regardless, I've never experienced it in travel to a first-world destination. The only time that's happened is when Air France fumigated the cabin in Lome, that was disgusting.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Intercontinental Ambassador, Marriott & HHonors at some-rubbish-middle-tier
It's quite common from hot/humid countries inbound to Europe.
I've had it with ORY-bound AF from caribbean, or LHR-bound from various other countries.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:29 am
Suspended

WHO mandate that aircraft must be sprayed under certain conditions (such as SARS outbreaks) but otherwise I think that WHO rules state that it's down to the individual countries involved. The UK sprays planes from quite a few places, including HKG, and some other countries (Aus and India, for instance) mandate the sprayingn for inbound aircraft. Can't really see a problem with it, to be honest.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I had this on a recent business trip to Bangalore. What surprised me wasn't the return flight from BLR to LHR (I completely get that there might have been some insects carrying something undesirable on the return), but that they also did this on the outbound flight. Just what dangerous disease using an insect attack vector are we meant to be sending to India from London?!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
They sprayed the cabin on my recent Emirates flight, DXB-HYD. However I don't recall the same thing on the return.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Just to add to the list, I had it on a Thai flight from BKK to LHR
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've had this on quite a few flights on different carriers. Perfectly normal and nothing to get worried about. I'm quite sure that airlines would not do it unless they had to.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Completely normal, and nothing to worry about (and I'm not even mentioning cosmic rays)...

http://ostpxweb.dot.gov/policy/safet...sinsection.htm

Has a nice short summary (from a US-centric point of view). The UK is listed as requiring spraying "from malarial countries" so is possibly seasonal.

And here, from the horse's mouth http://www.who.int/ith/mode_of_trave...sinsection/en/

Passengers are sometimes concerned about their exposure to insecticide sprays during air travel, and some have reported feeling unwell after spraying of aircraft for disinsection. However, WHO has found no evidence that the specified insecticide sprays are harmful to human health when used as recommended.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
They used to always do it on the Carribean flights too. I have no issue with it whatsoever.

Think we are making a mountain out of a molehill if people think its dangerous to their health. Cabin crew must be exposed to it regularly, and they don't seem to have an issue with it.

You probably eat more pesticides on a plate of salad.
Calchas likes this.

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver, Cathay Gold, SPG Plat 100, Hilton G, PC Plat,Hertz Pres C, Le club Accor plat
Originally Posted by jerumagrinberga
On a recent BA flight departing from Honkers, there was a short announcement made about spraying the cabin and then the purser walked through down one aisle and up the other with two cans spraying stuff into the air. The british businessman who I'd been chatting with across the divider covered his nose/mouth with a hankerchief(always prepared ^) while I held my breath. It did cause my eyes to get watery though and I was wondering what it was.

If you look on their website(URL below), they indicate that it was MANDATORY to spray in the Honkers flight along with flights departing from PEK and PVG. However, I've flown China Eastern and Air China on those routes and don't seem to recall the spraying(who knows though, the spray could be affecting my memory).

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...o/public/en_us

Anyway, do people here think that their justification holds water? IE, that they're MANDATED to spray the cabin by the WHO? How harmful/toxic is the spray anyway?

I loved the service and the Bucks Fizz, but I don't appreciate breathing in pesticides.

Same I the flights Bom
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Had it on Thomas Cook on a flight back from The Gambia in January

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.