Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can flight with connection be upgraded online?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2024, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond

Hi Everyone

I am flying DXB-LIS via LHR in May in WT+. I was trying to upgrade online and check the price, but I receive an error.

I know BA online upgrades often only work in certain itineraries but is this considered too complex also? I actually reach the page where I can select the flights I want to change, but then the next screen fails.

Thanks
James
Old Mar 8, 2024, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Special offer upgrades are never (and have never been) available with connecting flights. Full price upgrades may be (you’d need to upgrade both segments in a given direction not just one)
Old Mar 8, 2024, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I wish as part of the system enhancements that BA do figure out a way to offer upgrades on multi-sector flights and flights with special meals. It would also a give BA another revenue stream.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 12:09 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I wish as part of the system enhancements that BA do figure out a way to offer upgrades on multi-sector flights and flights with special meals. It would also a give BA another revenue stream.
Don’t worry, by the time the world leading BA IT superstars have figured out how to successfully master the rare and sophisticated arts of member log in and online check in for an airline website, the it world is their oyster…
crazy8534 and MaxFlyer like this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 12:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
You can upgrade by calling/clicking online for REGULAR upgrade price (difference in fare), as others have pointed out the promo upgrades wont appear with connecting flights in my experience
Old Mar 9, 2024, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the replies, I am not trying to find an upgrade offer. I am trying to use the regular upgrade function, but this is where it fails.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 12:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by JamesNCL
Thanks for the replies, I am not trying to find an upgrade offer. I am trying to use the regular upgrade function, but this is where it fails.
in which case give ba a call - they will be able to tell you price
Old Mar 9, 2024, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
My home airport is GLA so I’m almost always flying with a connection. My experience with regards to online (cash) upgrades is:

Flight only booking, with connections - the upgrade function in MMB usually works. When clicking it takes me through to a screen where I can pick which individual flights I do and don’t want to upgrade. Once this part is completed a further page gives the final cost to upgrade. My impression has been that these are just difference in fare upgrades. Sometimes they can be quite appealing depending on fare buckets available/current sales. Sometimes the prices are wild! I say “usually” as for the odd booking the function doesn’t work and I get an error message. The special offer upgrades never appear, either in MMB or the BA app.

Flight only booking, direct flights - These are always GLA > LON for myself. A lot of times the special offers upgrades appear in the app and in MMB. If they aren’t there then the “difference in fare” upgrade option mentioned above is usually available.

BAH booking - I’m certain I’ve read on here it’s just not possible and I’ve never seen the option in MMB. There’s usually a message in MMB directing me to phone BAHs.

Last edited by GlasgowBlue; Mar 9, 2024 at 2:38 am
Old Mar 9, 2024, 2:20 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Special offer upgrades are never (and have never been) available with connecting flights.
​​​​​​
Recent experience would not support quite such a definitive statement, though I would agree it's very broadly true.
​​​​​​
Mrs Badger was offered and successfully took an in-app POUG on the return long haul leg of an EDI-LHR-LAS last summer. It was booked through the corporate TA (Amex I believe)

I recall being very surprised as my own experience would support your statement that they don't appear on connecting itineraries.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
​​​​​​
Mrs Badger was offered and successfully took an in-app POUG on the return long haul leg of an EDI-LHR-LAS last summer. It was booked through
Ah yes, I seem to remember a long time ago someone suggesting that there was an exception for domestic connections though I don't remember if it was confirmed or not at the time. I don't do many long hauls with domestic connections but wonder if this might be the relevant element here.
BertieBadger likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.