Search

LHR T3 Baggage Delivery Issue 02/03

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AF-KL Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
LHR T3 Baggage Delivery Issue 02/03

Hey guys,

Got back from Vegas yesterday on BA274. Flight was good though service was EXTREMELY slow (flight was full) but the cabin crew were outstanding.

We landed on time in T3 yesterday but the wait for our bags was in excess of 2 hours. Affected passengers were mainly passengers flying in Club and those with priority tags. No communication from ground staff nor were there any assistance despite several (from memory there were at least 25 people on the same flight on the counter asking for information, several who have had their onward ground taxis leaving them) apart from it will be out soon. They werent aware of any disruptions. LHR T3 was running smoothly as far as we know. Flights that arrived AFTER us (including BA flights) all had their bags delivered. A Virgin flight from LAX had their bags delivered after us (the flight was allocated the same carousel belt as us).

Sent a complaint to BA and got 10k Avios as a service recovery.

Has anyone had similar experiences or any thoughts about this?
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:30 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by J343
Hey guys,

Got back from Vegas yesterday on BA274. Flight was good though service was EXTREMELY slow (flight was full) but the cabin crew were outstanding.

We landed on time in T3 yesterday but the wait for our bags was in excess of 2 hours. Affected passengers were mainly passengers flying in Club and those with priority tags. No communication from ground staff nor were there any assistance despite several (from memory there were at least 25 people on the same flight on the counter asking for information, several who have had their onward ground taxis leaving them) apart from it will be out soon. They werent aware of any disruptions. LHR T3 was running smoothly as far as we know. Flights that arrived AFTER us (including BA flights) all had their bags delivered. A Virgin flight from LAX had their bags delivered after us (the flight was allocated the same carousel belt as us).

Sent a complaint to BA and got 10k Avios as a service recovery.

Has anyone had similar experiences or any thoughts about this?
My thoughts? Politeness precludes me from posting them What I will tell you is that my rollaboard bag and my compliant personal item are staying with me irrespective of what others here may shriek with all emotion to the contrary. I have better things to be doing with my life than watching hours that I will never recover pass before my eyes. As for Priority Tags - they are decorative and ego boosting only - they do not and never have worked. Indeed, what is the point of showing those off when everyone in WT+ have collected their goods and chattels and are down in the Underground going home when you are still waiting.
becks1 and suziemay like this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
BA need to up their game on baggage delivery, it's getting silly now. Many times recently I've had excessive waits, now I try to go HBO simply to avoid the dreaded carousel wait. Had a similar 2 hour wait in DXB a couple months ago and a 1.5 hour wait at T5 3 weeks ago. Not sure what's going on.
J343 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Whilst it’s commonly known BA do not offer priority baggage handling and attaches labels to massage egos and vanity 2 hours is excessive. I’m guessing the reason is staff shortage and that doesn’t bode well for the summer,

I think BA will have to overhaul its baggage handling as when the new scanners come in eradicating the 100ml rule more people will want to take bags onboard which obviously there won’t be room for.

10k Avios isn’t bad redress but I’d much rather not wait so long especially after a long flight.
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Whilst it’s commonly known BA do not offer priority baggage handling
The bag tags themselves are coded, and if properly sorted, will receive "priority" as far as I understand it. Though, waiting 1h55m over 2h10m hardly seems "priority", does it. Or course that's something for the automated system, whenever people are involved, they will likely not care which bag is supposed to into the ac last, and out first, and loaded onto the belt "first".

Wasn't there a similar thread about T5 recently, where it was suggested that if it takes longer than 1h, might as well leave and have them figure out the delivery afterwards with a claim?

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Whilst it’s commonly known BA do not offer priority baggage handling and attaches labels to massage egos and vanity 2 hours is excessive. I’m guessing the reason is staff shortage and that doesn’t bode well for the summer,

I think BA will have to overhaul its baggage handling as when the new scanners come in eradicating the 100ml rule more people will want to take bags onboard which obviously there won’t be room for.
So how will that affect LHR-bound flights? It won't.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:21 pm

Is there anything to prevent a passenger in this situation simply walking out of baggage reclaim (I'm thinking of those with a taxi outside waiting and about to drive off), completing an on-line lost baggage claim and having BA courier the bags to them? Presumably the bags will be taken off the belt at some point and reconciled later in the day/following day with the lost bag claim
Old Mar 3, 2024, 10:53 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Two hours is terrible, I dont think Id wait that long. One of the advantages of air tags is you can tell if your bag made it or not Id be tempted to just complete the online lost luggage form.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:25 pm

The service level agreement HAL has with BA for BA to produce the inbound bags within the stipulated time was complied with for only 19% of arrivals at LHR on the 2nd. There were some major resourcing issues this weekend. Only 39% of arrivals were completed within the SLA on Sunday.

So far today the inbound LOS, BA74 has been waiting 1:34 so far for last bags as has JNB BA54 and BA16 SIN just approaching an hour.
oceanscape, LCSinTexas and J343 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:42 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
FWIW the other day I came off QF1 at T3 and my case was there before I was (had yellows on them). It was the first time in years I recall having success at T3 with priority bags.
J343 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.