Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Does QR's recent issues with Australian slots open a door for BA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does QR's recent issues with Australian slots open a door for BA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Finland Station
I'd rather not do LHR-SYD (or vv) without a stop. I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for it.
You're not the client Project Sunrise is chasing. Pretty much every Middle Eastern and Asian (and in theory, US) airline is after your business, there's choice and lower yields.

Once Sunrise launches, the (vast) majority of passengers will still be flying one-stop, but the (vast) majority of last-minute, time-sensitive, very profitable, full-fare J customers would want the nonstop.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:49 am

If BA want, they can extend BA11/12 to Mel.

dont think they will fly LHR-DOH-MEL.
DXB2745 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Im not sure if Project Sunrise can even happen without overflying Russia, and that wont be for a while.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Non stop from SYD to LHR is only going to cater for a small percentage of travellers. BA is not going to buy a plane because it can fly non stop to SYD. The kangaroo route is not one keeping BA managers awake at night.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by email2markt
Would a new route cannibalise BA15/16 traffic and put it at risk?
Also, SYD will get the "Project Sunrise" flights in about 18 months, and then there's WSI which won't have overnight runway closures. Opportunities and risks...
It's more like 28 months at this point, at the earliest.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:13 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by cauchy
You're not the client Project Sunrise is chasing. Pretty much every Middle Eastern and Asian (and in theory, US) airline is after your business, there's choice and lower yields.

Once Sunrise launches, the (vast) majority of passengers will still be flying one-stop, but the (vast) majority of last-minute, time-sensitive, very profitable, full-fare J customers would want the nonstop.
With routes this long it becomes a matter of taste and preference, and some time-sensitive customers would rather have a breather than do such a long flight.

ScoMo used to tag in state visits in Singapore on his way to/fro his official visits in the UK.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:34 pm

At the end of the day, the difference between the Kangaroo route and a Project Sunrise direct flight would be approx. 4 hours. Sure, some might be swayed to go on the direct, but I don't know if the price differential will offset, for Qantas, skipping the opportunity for extra cargo and passengers that a stopover in SIN allows.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Finland Station
I don't think that "Project Sunrise" is going to be the game changer that some seem to think.

I'd rather not do LHR-SYD (or vv) without a stop. I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for it.
To be honest, I think that boat has long sailed - look at the success of the LHR-PER route. If QF can make a success of LHR-PER, why couldn't they of SYD-LHR and SYD-JFK which have much bigger and much more premium markets? There will still be plenty of people who will prefer one stop, and perhaps a stopover on the way, but nonstop on SYD-LHR and SYD-JFK will have its followers, people who will prefer to save 4 hours and the unpredictability of a connection, especially in J and F, and that will dent the profit of others and cater to a specific but high yield segment.

I still remember the times when people thought that EK and QR routes to Oz and New Zealand would utterly and completely flop because noone could possibly want spending 17 or 18 hours on a flight and everyone would prefer to continue flying via Southeast Asia. Well, some people do and will continue to prefer flying via Southeast Asia but plenty more choose to go via the DOH and DXB and AUH hubs everyday. And plenty of people pay a premium to fly direct on every other route and there is no obvious reason why they shouldn't on this one.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cauchy

Very true but it wont be me. Recently did LAX SYD in an exceptionally comfortable Delta one suite and was crawling up the walls 3 hours out. 15.5 hours was just too long for me.
CHCflyer likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 2:39 pm

Ive seen the toilets after 10 hours. I do not relish having to use one after maybe 20. J seat or no J seat.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 3:13 pm

The other thing to remember is that Qantas a a lock on big corporate contracts in Australia. Even if not exclusive or prioritised every corporate will have some kind of deal with Qantas. With 2/3rds of the domestic market There are places you just cant get to without them. Corporates will often have multiple deals, with virgin and other airlines but then Qantas uses QFF to steer bookings to its own metal or EK codeshares flying east.

So BA has to rely on filling planes from the other end. Im a pretty frequent flyer down here and I dont recall seeing much BA marketing, where I do see plenty from the likes of CX, QR, SG, JL, EK etc.; Finnair even still pushes their cheapo business tickets to Europe a fair bit.

Im in Melbourne and we are the biggest and best city in Australia (better coffee, better food, better music, better sports and this really attractive chip on our shoulders about how no one recognises were better than that place with the harbour and the bridge). The reality is that Sydney has the outward facing corporates and Melbourne are more domestic - weve got the big utility companies, the bits of banks that do mortgages and business banking. Theres just more demand for big spenders to go to and from Sydney.

if BA come to Melbourne its going to be more leisure oriented, lower yielding. Ive got plenty of business and personal reasons to go to Europe several times a year, but im looking for J fares around that AUD6-7k mark.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 3:28 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Market share

These charts outline the market share of the major carriers on the LON/SYD route in 2010 and 2018. In 2010 BA held 11% of the market share on this route with Emirates holding the same figure. Qatar did not start its DOH/SYD route until 2016. Data supplied by Sabre.

LON/SYD
https://infogram.com/lon-syd-1h984wwlxljd4p3?live

SIN tops the charts every year with the highest number of transfer passengers on the Kangaroo route, with Qantas, Singapore Airlines and BA carrying through pax in 2010. Qantas served DXB from 2013-2018. Virgin Atlantic dwindled after its peak of nearly 13% in 2012 before withdrawing from the Kangaroo route in 2014. The 1% share in 2018 is from its codeshare flights with Singapore Airlines and Virgin Australia (via HKG and LAX).

DXB was the second most connected airport thanks to Emirates and Qantas but is no match for the sheer volume of pax connecting through SIN year on year.

LON/PER
https://infogram.com/copy-lon-per-1h7g6kq3l5k06oy?live

Source: https://aviationweek.com/air-transpo...-dream-reality
SW7London likes this.

Last edited by Strawb; Mar 3, 2024 at 5:02 pm
Old Mar 3, 2024, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SQ have been flying SIN-NYC for almost 20 years which is an 18-ish hour sector. Fly it, and they will come...

Yes it's boring, but plenty of people want to get from A to B with the minimum of hassle and a non-stop does just that.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by oldfolky

Im in Melbourne and we are the biggest and best city in Australia (better coffee, better food, better music, better sports and this really attractive chip on our shoulders about how no one recognises were better than that place with the harbour and the bridge).
😂 Dream on!!!
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Im not sure if Project Sunrise can even happen without overflying Russia, and that wont be for a while.
Avoiding Russian airspace only adds about 200 miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.