Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Former BA supervisor at T5 fraudulently "verified" visas for a fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Former BA supervisor at T5 fraudulently "verified" visas for a fee

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2024, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Saladman
Often what happens (in the UK at least and I'm guessing there too) is that when asylum seekers arrive they head to the toilets, destroy all their ID, passports etc, then hang around a bit (sometimes hours) so it confuses the authorities as to which flight they've come off, then present themselves to immigration.

Sometimes they can be traced back and obviously that's what has happened here, but sometimes not so the fine wouldn't be paid as it cannot be proven.
This is why Immigration in some countries perform spot checks at the aircraft door / jetty on flights deemed to be high risk. I’ve experienced this in Dublin, Amsterdam and Frankfurt.
stifle and Duck1981 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 1:46 pm

£25,000 to overlook a visa not being correct seems a great deal of money. If you have that sort of cash then there must be easier ways to get to Canada.

There is often comment here on how poorly paid BA staff are. But I guess if it’s £25,000 for a clerical error it must be about the same for the last smoked salmon starter or a free good-bye bottle to enjoy at home.
the810 and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 2:57 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Greenpen
£25,000 to overlook a visa not being correct seems a great deal of money. If you have that sort of cash then there must be easier ways to get to Canada.
What other ways do you know of to illegally get to Canada? It doesn't get much simpler than booking a regular flight and looking for a particular agent at check in.

Originally Posted by csycsycsy
If someone turns up at Canada without a visa but seeks asylum, does BA still have to pay Canada a penalty for incorrect docs checking?
If someone told BA they are flying to Canada to seek asylum, is that a reason for DOB?
I think asylum is irrelevant. If you don't have a valid visa / eTA or an exempt passport, you should be denied boarding. If BA misses that, they get fined. You can still seek asylum when arriving on a valid eTA or valid visa, it's not really BA's job to determine whether you lied about your intentions on your visa application (though that's why you sometimes had those additional interrogations at the gate for US-bound flights, which were not conducted by airline staff). In theory, if you told an airline you were going to seek asylum, they could pass this on to the immigration liaison at the destination airport, who could instruct the airline to refuse you.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 3:17 pm

How would this work at Heathrow, there are common queues for flights, ending in multiple check on desks, in order to be the next available desk for the right passenger would take some organising
Old Feb 28, 2024, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by roberino
Fewer toilets require fewer resources to monitor them.
But fewer toilets does present a problem when they are all getting blocked up with so many discarded passports!🤣
momoflyingguy likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 2:42 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by blurt91
But fewer toilets does present a problem when they are all getting blocked up with so many discarded passports!🤣
"I'm going to discard my passport" will now be my new go to euphemism for longer visits to the loo.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 2:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
"I'm going to discard my passport" will now be my new go to euphemism for longer visits to the loo.
Surely you mean “dump” your passport
Old Feb 29, 2024, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
On a good day one can hope to discard an assortment of travel documents.
roberino likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 10:37 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Surely you mean “dump” your passport
I thought the point of a euphemism was to not be quite so on-the-nose.

I’m also a fan of “I’m taking the hobbits to Rivendell” as an alternative.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 2:38 am

I probably wouldn't joke about that in an airport...
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.