Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stickler alert in F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2024, 10:02 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Agree. Take the bed point. Q for everyone supporting this: How are the cabin crew supposed to make up a bed if the seatbelt sign is on? As it requires the customer to be out of their seat. I’ve seen experienced WW crew decline to do just this in a flight out of JFK before - they were happy to give the customer a pillow / duvet but they politely explained it was ‘too bumpy’ to do the beds just now.
Agreed on this one. If seatbelt sign is on (as it often is ex-JFK when I want to go straight to sleep) I just make my own bed. Takes 30 seconds and avoids the issue entirely.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ttama
On a recent LHR-SJC flight I could not only see San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge very easily while seated, but I invited some of the younger crew to look out too because they'd been chatting about it in the galley. I like to see the glaciers in Greenland and the icebergs off the coast, the huge number of lakes over the north of Canada, and the chain of volcanoes down the west coast. It's amazing (to me, having started flying before such things were available) to watch the IFE map and look down, understanding where I am. I love to see the northern lights. On Concorde, I loved seeing the curvature of the earth and can't imagine why someone would close the window blinds on scenes like that.

I always want a window seat and I always want to be able to look out, day or night, because that's the biggest part of the magic of flying, to be high above the earth and to be able to look down.

I didn't realise it's a USA cultural thing that's ruining flying for me. I just thought others were jealous that I'd got a window seat and they hadn't.

How can we change the culture back, on British-operated flights? Why should we have to adopt a culture that is quite honestly, ridiculous. Yes, I know we now have "proms" and "gender reveal parties" and that our own halloween traditions have been lost, but can't we at least fight for our window blinds??!!!!

I shall now raise a complaint with BA any time I feel my ability to look out of the window has been denied. Maybe I'll just be one solitary voice. But then I probably am about the blind stupidity of them serving nuts on flights when there are so many other options. l keep doing that, but I'm pretty certain the surveys go straight into the bin.
As the original OP, please let me clarify that I love looking outside when there is something to look at other than clouds. In F cabin, given the ample screens and separations between seats I don’t mind at all someone keeping the windows open. My post was reporting on the order to keep them forcibly open for a long time well after takeoff, thus denying me and others the option of shutting them down for the purpose of sleeping and clearer movie view. As a side notation, I developed dry eye issue last year and my ophthalmologist blamed the hours of mask wearing on my frequent long haul flights which I found interesting (I stopped wearing the mask and the problem seems gone). But I wouldn’t be going as far as saying that it’s a US/UK culture clash, I am on the European side but I do like darkness when I try to sleep and I try to sleep on most long flights, nor I would extend the issue to the warm nuts, as we could go on about the lack of evidence for an allergic reaction by proxy…(let’s not open other cans of other worms…)
BA or bust and Pigeon49 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 6:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
US airlines have an obsession with window blinds being down onboarding. The often used reason is that it keeps the aircraft cool- that is true for a TX or FL summer but on a hop from SJC to SEA in the middle of winter its rubbish. I raise them as I don't particularly like not being aware of my surroundings on take off / landing.

American are particularly bad about cabin lights on domestic evening flights. Often the lights aren't turned on for the whole flight after take off until the cabin needs to be secured before landing.

I have noticed in CW that there is a tendency amongst crew, on the West Coast routes ex LHR, to now insist on window blinds being put down on day flights. I do not understand it. Sleeping for six hours as you head Westbound is not going to help your jet lag in anyway. It is particularly frustrating when you can see that WTP cabin is in bright daylight!
Old Feb 22, 2024, 7:09 pm

Programs: BAEC GOLD, AS,AA,HILTON,IHG
I paid for and selected a window seat. I'll lower the blind as I see fit.
Put the bloody eye shade on! Call it my rear guard action vs cancel culture.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
On a recent LHR-SJC flight I could not only see San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge very easily while seated, but I invited some of the younger crew to look out too because they'd been chatting about it in the galley. I like to see the glaciers in Greenland and the icebergs off the coast, the huge number of lakes over the north of Canada, and the chain of volcanoes down the west coast. It's amazing (to me, having started flying before such things were available) to watch the IFE map and look down, understanding where I am. I love to see the northern lights. On Concorde, I loved seeing the curvature of the earth and can't imagine why someone would close the window blinds on scenes like that.

I always want a window seat and I always want to be able to look out, day or night, because that's the biggest part of the magic of flying, to be high above the earth and to be able to look down.

I didn't realise it's a USA cultural thing that's ruining flying for me. I just thought others were jealous that I'd got a window seat and they hadn't.

How can we change the culture back, on British-operated flights? Why should we have to adopt a culture that is quite honestly, ridiculous. Yes, I know we now have "proms" and "gender reveal parties" and that our own halloween traditions have been lost, but can't we at least fight for our window blinds??!!!!

I shall now raise a complaint with BA any time I feel my ability to look out of the window has been denied. Maybe I'll just be one solitary voice. But then I probably am about the blind stupidity of them serving nuts on flights when there are so many other options. l keep doing that, but I'm pretty certain the surveys go straight into the bin.
The cultural point is an interesting one. We were on the 676 from LHR to IST last week, first flight out so a full English breakfast as per the menu card that was handed out BEFORE taxiing but which we were then told to stow for safety reasons (I can understand that they might be slippery when on the floor so in that case, don’t hand them out until the drinks round!). What was eventually served was a partial English with no bacon and a chicken sausage. When I asked the IFM why the tray didn’t match the menu, I was told it was for cultural reasons. As this was said to me just before I was offered more alcohol, I found it all a bit silly.
DYKWIA, BA or bust, bafan and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 10:39 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by IkarosBOS
nor I would extend the issue to the warm nuts, as we could go on about the lack of evidence for an allergic reaction by proxy…(let’s not open other cans of other worms…)
Wow. So I'm not allowed to have a snack with my drinks, simply because I'm allergic to nuts and airlines are too lazy to either offer two options or to think about something that isn't nuts? Wow.

Or, sorry, maybe what I said simply went above your head?
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Wow. So I'm not allowed to have a snack with my drinks, simply because I'm allergic to nuts and airlines are too lazy to either offer two options or to think about something that isn't nuts? Wow.

Or, sorry, maybe what I said simply went above your head?
I like nuts (the edible ones). You should be allowed to have something else if you are allergic. But this is quite OT, that’s all I said, not above my head
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:34 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
US airlines have an obsession with window blinds being down onboarding. The often used reason is that it keeps the aircraft cool- that is true for a TX or FL summer but on a hop from SJC to SEA in the middle of winter its rubbish. I raise them as I don't particularly like not being aware of my surroundings on take off / landing.
This doesn't bother me at all, especially if it helps with temperature restoration - you are free to raise them (as you did).

To the OP: I haven't read the entire thread, but absolutely write-in and report this. If the team working for her is uncomfortable for you, something is wrong and should be addressed. Feeling school principal vibes from this "CSD" (emphasis on the D, it seems).
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
I have noticed in CW that there is a tendency amongst crew, on the West Coast routes ex LHR, to now insist on window blinds being put down on day flights. I do not understand it. Sleeping for six hours as you head Westbound is not going to help your jet lag in anyway. It is particularly frustrating when you can see that WTP cabin is in bright daylight!
What's the stated policy? Spend thousands on a ticket, pay more for a window seat and then be denied use of said window is not...ideal. Is this a BA thing or a Cabin Crew thing? The fact BA are not strict on a dark cabin in daylight is why I fly BA long haul.
BA or bust and EDDLEGLL like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.