Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stickler alert in F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2024, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Stickler alert in F

Just wanted to report in a thankfully unusual experience on 269 today to LAX
From the very first introductory announcement, the CSD made and strongly reiterated a few recommendations not too often often before taxiing (eg it is not permitted to move your windows blinds during taxiing-takeoff-landing nor to have any loose items on the lap, or shoes not properly stowed). Then the young and very effective crew members in F hurried and told me ‘oh make sure you hide that little pillow well behind your back or she’ll see it…’
Then a few minutes after introducing herself in person, the CSD reappeared to ask me ‘is your phone in the flight setting’ (I was not even holding it, but admit it probably wasn’t, fine)
After takeoff and for over an hour, the electric window blinds would not move. The other crew told me she would not let them activate for some time after takeoff. For the entire flight full lights were on, despite two kind requests from me and another pax to dim them down (‘it’s a day flight’). While I kept trying not get bothered by these minor things, when I asked them to do my bed while they were standing and eating in the galley, I was litterally uttered ‘the seat belt sign is on go back To your seat sir now, we’ll come when it goes off’
I had to reply that yes, I had not noticed it, but that the seat belt sign on did not prevent them from standing and eating and moving around in the galley. So I did my bed alone. Multiple requests to lower the JAL-style cabin temperature were met with ‘sorry we’re told we can’t’.
Two members of the crew came and apologized telling me ‘we are very sorry we are in the same boat, our hands are tight, SHE is impossible’.
I can go on and on but I have bored you enough. Granted there probably is a written rule for each one of the responses I got, I just found this type of micromanaging somewhat unusual these days even in BA (I fly the same route in F twice monthly) and certainly not very conductive to the customer experience.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:19 pm

I would raise a complaint direct to the CEO naming her if possible, as her conduct is way below F standards and she is evidently failing at her job. To fly, to serve (herself).

Hopefully she can be redistributed to working somewhere else, like shorthaul economy, where her megalomania will be less tolerated…
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by IkarosBOS
After takeoff and for over an hour, the electric window blinds would not move. The other crew told me she would not let them activate for some time after takeoff. For the entire flight full lights were on, despite two kind requests from me and another pax to dim them down (‘it’s a day flight’).
The blinds issue in particular would have really upset me, as I try to sleep for the first 3hrs when on BA269… Overall, I would complain. Really poor service.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:49 pm

If it were me and I felt this strongly I'd do a passive/aggressive by completing a www.britishairways.com/thankyou, calling out the CSM by name and detailing how their over managed service delivery and onboard performance detracted from your overall enjoyment of First. Also how frustrated other crew members were at not being able to fulfill the service as they'd normally have been able to do. Knowing this feature lands in the inboxes of service delivery leads (or at least used to). Who knows, it might raise a few eyebrows in the right departments and initiate a chat about the comments received with the CSM concerned. I doubt anything that goes to customer services gets suitably fedback internally or has the desired effect you're after, it's all about fobbing you off with a few avios.... so unless this is more appealing, play it outside the box a little.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
If it were me and I felt this strongly I'd do a passive/aggressive by completing a www.britishairways.com/thankyou, calling out the CSM by name and detailing how their over managed service delivery and onboard performance detracted from your overall enjoyment of First. Also how frustrated other crew members were at not being able to fulfill the service as they'd normally have been able to do. Knowing this feature lands in the inboxes of service delivery leads (or at least used to). Who knows, it might raise a few eyebrows in the right departments and initiate a chat about the comments received with the CSM concerned. I doubt anything that goes to customer services gets suitably fedback internally or has the desired effect you're after, it's all about fobbing you off with a few avios.... so unless this is more appealing, play it outside the box a little.
Just as an update (I wrote my post just before landing) slightly after the seat belt sign went off two junior crew members approached me and asked me if I could back up their own complaint. While I feel bad about impacting the job of someone else (especially someone with a long career) I think it might be probably for her good too
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just as an update (I wrote my post just before landing) slightly after the seat belt sign went off two junior crew members approached me and asked me if I could back up their own complaint. While I feel bad about impacting the job of someone else (especially someone with a long career) I think it might be probably for her good too
There are a few of these types at BA, sadly.

They seem to make a point of being deliberately awkward 'because they can'. I can only imagine they've been there forever and are quite bitter towards changes over the course of many years.

It's inexcusable. If you go into work with a chip on your shoulder like that, maybe you should consider other career paths.
roberto99, NoY, BA or bust and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:38 pm

Just as an update (I wrote my post just before landing) slightly after the seat belt sign went off two junior crew members approached me and asked me if I could back up their own complaint. While I feel bad about impacting the job of someone else (especially someone with a long career) I think it might b​​​​​​e probably for her good too
It's interesting that you mention you suspect a long career. My initial feeling this is someone who's super keen and relatively inexperienced as a senior crew member trying to make a name for themselves but going about it in the completely wrong direction or someone relatively inexperienced on the A380 working to their own drumbeat which doesn't necessarily echo the ethos of service standards set down by their employer.

​​​​​​Either way that probably needs performance managing to some degree. Perhaps they're well overdue a supervisory check flight from their manager and your comments will bring this around into being sooner than later so they can be observed first hand... you can but hope.
​​​​​​
Can I help you, wrp96 and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 12:25 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Yikes! I am in F in a few weeks, I hope I do not get this person!

And I agree with the comments thus far, I think it is really important to feed back to BA. There are no doubt some well meaning lovely people in BA who work hard to design a First hard and soft product. I am sure that the would be very professionally disappointed to hear that all their efforts were stymied by this (clearly uncaring or unaware) CSD.

To reiterate, BA at the highest level needs to know about this. What is that old adage… a great service you tell a few people… a poor service you tell everybody. Not a great ad for buying a First ticket is it?
Pigeon49 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
It must have been bad if the cabin crew are asking you to do that and they are also complaining! Definitely not the standard you would expect from any crew member, but evidently there are a few out there.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
IFM please, there is no way a former CSD would act this way, this very much sounds like one of the new management types.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 1:46 am

Programs: MUCCI
Very annoying but fortunately this happens only rarely. I would write in as others have said. If you don't, she will think it is fine and continue. BA will and do take note of these things especially if you are a regular in F and then suddenly pipe up that things weren't right...

What a shame though! I have to say in many ways I really like F flights to the USA - it is a day flight and I tend to work most of the way interspersed with a good natter with the crew (once they have done the main meal etc etc). Most cannot do enough for you to be fair and there is always something to talk about when you have 7-11 hours to kill getting over to the USA!!!!! If I had had this level of condescending silliness from an IFM then I would write in. My general impression is when people are like this it is usually because they are not confident and lack the skills and training to cope so the easiest thing to do is behave in this rather odd manner and this person clearly needs support and training to come up to the required service standard.

FD.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I'd echo the thought that this is thankfully unusual, and constructive feedback expressed concisely is worth making. I wouldn't be too keen to say the other staff were complaining to you, this isn't all that professional and could land them in it. It'd be something like "although the cabin crew were sympathetic and in all aspects gave great service, they felt unable to override the instructions of the cabin manager, having enquired with her". As I see you're GGL, maybe this is one to feedback if you speak to the team doing the feedback sessions currently?

You fly First really above all to have maximum control over the flying experience. If that's removed from you by over zealous restrictions, you haven't had what you paid for.

Maybe alongside golden tickets we need black spots we can tip to the poorly performing staff? (see Treasure Island).
H2L likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 2:24 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
We had the Window Blind thing but in reverse on a day flight at the weekend. A few hours into the flight the blinds all lowered . I automatically sat up and attempted to open mine. Some beautiful views outside, and I planned to sleep at home like a normal person as we were landing early evening. I was approached by the member of crew looking after us (incredibly well - First Trained, definite Golden Ticket) who asked that I leave it down as some in the cabin were trying to sleep. After mulling this over I approached them in the galley and asked if the amenity kits still had eye masks. Flustered they asked if mine was missing. "No", I replied, "they're there and they're there for a reason. Why can't the people who want to sleep use them?"

I opined that it's a bad look as it makes it seem as though the crew are trying for an easy life. The answer surprised me and I'm unsure whether a pinch of salt is required. "Actually it can make it more difficult as passengers tend to get more drunk when it's dark".

Still I was happy to browse in darkness, so there seemed no point in not leaving the blind down until shortly before landing. Two excellent flights and in a rare first, Golden Tickets on both. First Training really makes a difference.
scoonee, JoeDTW, layz and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Bottom line is people choose window seats because they want to look out of the window, the only time I would ever ask a customer to lower their blind was on a flights that where going from dark to light and they were going to sleep.
Fritz, scoonee, SKT-DK and 34 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 3:06 am

I had to reply that yes, I had not noticed it, but that the seat belt sign on did not prevent them from standing and eating and moving around in the galley. So I did my bed alone. Multiple requests to lower the JAL-style cabin temperature were met with ‘sorry we’re told we can’t’.
When I flew J the other day (day flight from JFK) the seat belt sign was on a fair amount. I asked if we can still go toilet etc (I never know the policy as flying domestic F in the US they are very strict with no movement when the seat belt sign is on - they will tell you to go back to your seat and toilet is 'out of action') and was told by crew "in theory, no, but we're not going to stop you. It would be at your own risk!". And, yes, the crew were in the galley.

I just stood there and chatted and joked with them, seat belt sign on! Just depends on the crew you get, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.