Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible to get on earlier flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2024, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Possible to get on earlier flight?

Question for the BA experts:

If I have a ticket for a flight in J from U.S. to LHR and got to the airport early if there is availability on an earlier flight that day as OneWorld Emerald would I be able to standby for that?

First time in this situation for BA (usually fly AA) so apologies in advance if this is an overly basic question.

Thanks to all for your insights.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 11:54 am

The usual reply to this is that the check in desk won’t do it when asked and only in event of your flight being massively overbooked so you’d be doing them a “favour” or other extenuating circumstances.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I was in the BA business lounge recently and noticed on the screen a message to this effect:

Have you arrived to the airport early? If there are seats available we will be happy to put you onto an earlier flight free of charge, please speak to guest service.

I don't know if this was only for HBO passengers, or if its always the case, but T5 did seem very quite that day.

EDIT: This was on Jan 4

Last edited by vosizneiz; Feb 10, 2024 at 12:01 pm Reason: Adding date
Old Feb 10, 2024, 12:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
that can happen at LHR on disruption days where passengers are proactively offered a move. it isn't usual tho at LHR or at outstations like JFK.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
Question for the BA experts:

If I have a ticket for a flight in J from U.S. to LHR and got to the airport early if there is availability on an earlier flight that day as OneWorld Emerald would I be able to standby for that?

First time in this situation for BA (usually fly AA) so apologies in advance if this is an overly basic question.

Thanks to all for your insights.
There is no right to free changes as a one world emerald.

You can ask, if it suits BA they may accomodate.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
If your travel plans have you arriving early at the airport anyway, there is no harm in asking about moving to an earlier service. If it’s convenient to BA, they may accommodate it. But be prepared for a polite no, and plan to spend time in the lounge accordingly.

It wouldn’t be advisable to get to the airport earlier explicitly for the reason of trying to get on an earlier flight.
DiamondMile and orbitmic like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
There are lots of threads asking that question - often started by US based flyers used to US airlines' practice. The bottom line is that there is no equivalent for BA* or for that matter other European airlines - no space available same day flight change or same day flight standby, and if you want to change flight - be it in advance or on the day, it will typically imply a change fee and paying difference in fare.

As others have mentioned, there can be exception - for instance in case of significant disruption or significantly overbooked flight, but by very, very far the most likely answers are "no" or "sure, it will cost x".

For that reason, if you are arriving at the airport anyway, you can always ask but expect those negative outcomes to be by far the most likely. However, I would never recommend that you go to the airport too early just to ask about taking an earlier flight if you don't have to be there early since the overwhelming probability is that you'll just wait far longer than anyone wants to at the airport.

* The very specific exception on BA is for short haul BA flights when booked as o/d one way or return (ie no connecting flight, no open jaw) in either economy plus or business class. There is no equivalent for long haul or connecting flights and fare rules thus apply.
lsquare, KARFA and DiamondMile like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by orbitmic
There are lots of threads asking that question - often started by US based flyers used to US airlines' practice. The bottom line is that there is no equivalent for BA* or for that matter other European airlines - no space available same day flight change or same day flight standby, and if you want to change flight - be it in advance or on the day, it will typically imply a change fee and paying difference in fare.

As others have mentioned, there can be exception - for instance in case of significant disruption or significantly overbooked flight, but by very, very far the most likely answers are "no" or "sure, it will cost x".

For that reason, if you are arriving at the airport anyway, you can always ask but expect those negative outcomes to be by far the most likely. However, I would never recommend that you go to the airport too early just to ask about taking an earlier flight if you don't have to be there early since the overwhelming probability is that you'll just wait far longer than anyone wants to at the airport.

* The very specific exception on BA is for short haul BA flights when booked as o/d one way or return (ie no connecting flight, no open jaw) in either economy plus or business class. There is no equivalent for long haul or connecting flights and fare rules thus apply.
Too bad BA and the European airlines don't follow US airlines’ practices. 😢

I still wouldn't mind getting to an airport like LAX early. QF F and AA FL are fantastic places to hang out prior to departure!
lhrsfo and MasterPlanner like this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 3:09 pm

Maybe I’ve been lucky but as a BA Gold/OW Emerald member I’ve been moved onto earlier flights from the US a few times, most recently in MIA where the BA F check-in staff were fantastic; albeit that it was a 'wait until the flight has closed’ thing, as it often is... Don’t want to set expectations, but always worth a polite request in my experience, particularly on routes with good frequencies and/or large planes.
remaxmac likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Recently every time I've been to LHR there has been notifications that if you're early and want to change to ask, so I don't think it's as uncommon as appears to be. It isn't a *right* but I see no issue in you asking.

Like others though, I wouldn't turn up intentionally early to snag a flight unless you were prepared to stay in the lounge for a while should it not be possible.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Too bad BA and the European airlines don't follow US airlines’ practices. 😢!
Two things would be required: first you would need a customer service mindset in management; and second you would need an IT system which worked. It’s obviously beneficial for customers and it’s also beneficial for the airline: if you move customers to an earlier flight you free up space for later ones, thus being better able to accommodate misconnects.
lsquare and adrianlondon like this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Does the BA app ever offer you a swap to an earlier flight? Or is it strictly an airport only possibility?
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:19 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Two things would be required: first you would need a customer service mindset in management; and second you would need an IT system which worked. It’s obviously beneficial for customers and it’s also beneficial for the airline: if you move customers to an earlier flight you free up space for later ones, thus being better able to accommodate misconnects.
…..all day and all night long!
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
To be honest I don’t think it requires much that doesn’t already exist since ba already offers it on o/d short haul flights. It’s just a decision they haven’t presumably because they feel they still make more money by selling flex tickets long haul whilst the market for those had slowly collapsed short haul.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Pochama
Does the BA app ever offer you a swap to an earlier flight? Or is it strictly an airport only possibility?
Airport only, and to some extent it depends on the airport. JFK has the most experience of this and are the most relaxed about doing it (in fact they don't have a choice on Thursday and Friday nights). It's just a few key presses in Fly in most circumstances. Due to baggage handling at JFK it's best to be HBO, since it can done in the lounge, otherwise it's check-in only.
our_kid, lsquare, KARFA and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.