Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

** BA ANNOUNCEMENT : all Tier Point collection years to start 1st April **

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crazy8534
BA FAQ : Tier Point collection changes | Executive Club | British Airways

What is happening?

British Airways are changing the TP collection year (also known as the BA Executive Club Year) so that everyone will have an expiry of 31st March going forward.
Their email states:

From next year, your Tier status will reset at the same time as everyone else's, meaning you’ll have the same Tier Point collection year as friends and family who are also members of the Executive Club.
In future, the Tier Point collection year will start on 1 April and end on 31 March every year. The change will be in place for all British Airways Executive Club Members starting from 1 April 2025.

How will this affect my current year?

You will earn and achieve/retain status as per the current set-up until the end of your current TP year.
e.g. If you have achieved or expect to achieve 1500TPs before the end of your current TP year (8th of a month) you will retain or be promoted to Gold status.

How will this affect the subsequent year?

Your next TP earning year will be SHORTER and will end on 31st March 2025.
You will have between the start of your next TP earning year and 31st March 2025 to earn the required number of TPs to attain or retain status.
e.g. if you are Gold you need to get 1500TPs between 8th October 2024 and 31st March 2025.

HOWEVER: BA will add all of the TPs that you earn between 1st April 2024 and the end of your current membership year (in the case above 8th October 2024) to next year's total.
This means that your target for TP earning in the year [Start of year something 8th of a month] 24- 31st March 25 will be your normal target (e.g. 1500TPs) MINUS whatever you earned from 1st April 2024 until the end of your current year.
Effectively, you should consider 1st April 2024 as the new start of your next TP earning year for TP collection purposes.

Status earned in the new (next) year will be valid until end of April 2026.

How will my current status card expiry date be affected?

BA have confirmed that it will NOT be affected.
i.e. if you have Silver status with a card expiry of 31st December 2025 (having already achieved silver renewal since 8th November 2023) this will not be affected.
If you subsequently drop to Bronze status then this will expire 30th April 2026.

Will I be able to double-dip (use the April 24 - TP collection year end date TPs twice) for Lifetime TPs?

No

Will I be able to double-dip for GUFs etc.?

I don't think we know yet.

If I earn TPs in the Amex TP offer between 1st April and 21st May 2024 (when the offer expires) will these count in the double-dip?

We believe that the answer to this is yes.

Has the 'grace' period for status reduced?

Yes.
Whereas it used to be until the end of the month following your year end (i.e. if you had a year ending 8th October you would be Gold with a card valid until 30th November) everyone will now have a card that is valid until 30th April.
Just under 2 months 'grace' has decreased to just under 1 month.

What about GGL status retention?

BA have confirmed that you must achieve 3000TP, during your SHORTENED/transition year (with the addition of the ‘doubled’ TPs from April 1st 2024) in order to maintain continuous GGL membership. If you fail to do so your GGL status will expire at the date of card expiry from your last 8-8th year (even though this may be as late as 30th April 2026) and you would need to requalify at 5000TPs again.

This has particular implications for those who may be earning a significant number of TPs in February and March 2024 as these will not be counted into the SHORTENED/transition year.

Worked example (crazy8534)?

crazy8534's current status/TP earning year ends 8th June 2024.
He has already renewed GGL status so has a card that will expire with GGL status on 31st July 2025.
He will earn 2000TPs between 1st April 2024 and 8th June 2024.

His TP year will reset on 8th June 2024 and he will have 0TPs.
BA will then add the TPs that he has earned between 1st April 2024 and 8th June 2024 to his current year total (but not his lifetime total), giving him 2000TPs for the year 24/25.
He will need to earn another 1000TPs between 8th June 2024 and 31st March 2025 to renew GGL.
If he renews GGL then his new status will last until 30th April 2026.

If he fails to renew GGL status before 31st March 2025 then it will still last until 31st July 2025 (as per his current card).
He will then fall to either Gold (if earned >1500TPs) or Silver (if earned <1500TPs) until 30th April 2026.

Print Wikipost

** BA ANNOUNCEMENT : all Tier Point collection years to start 1st April **

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Will soft landing from Gold to Silver still exist? The FAQs seem silent on the matter, which might mean nothing's changing...?
Arsey00 and defiantflyer like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
i think i may have by mistake fell lucky with this change. my year ends july but this year i've got a 750TP's coming from a run in june that will get me to Gold.

if i'm reading this right then they will be credited for this year(getting me gold ) and Also for next year 2024/2025 so ill be starting the year with 750 already in the bank
even tho ill have a shorter year of gold i'll take the extra TP'S and just do one TP Run later this year might even do a BAH for the double TP's
BrunswickSq likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
As far as I can tell, no-one will end up with a shortened status. From the FAQ:

If, for example, you have a Sep 8th 2024 year end, and have already retained Gold, you will remain Gold until October 31st 2025.

Beyond that, your next status would depend upon the TPs earned Apr 1st 2024 to March 31st 2025, with status expiring April 30th 2026.
Maybe I'm getting this all wrong, lets go with your take on things, I'm presently Silver with a 8th Sept 24 year end at present, If I qualify for gold before 8th Sept 24, I'd be gold until 31st Oct 2025? (Bare with me here , say I then don't take any flights, would my soft landing from Gold to Silver have a end date of end March 2026? (ie almost 6 months shorter than it would have been?)
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
If, for example, you have a Sep 8th 2024 year end, and have already retained Gold, you will remain Gold until October 31st 2025.

Beyond that, your next status would depend upon the TPs earned Apr 1st 2024 to March 31st 2025, with status expiring April 30th 2026.
There is nothing in what you quoted to support this assumption!
LancashireFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:14 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
BA are meant to be in the midst of a big IT overhaul so this might be a tie-in to that work. However, from a customer perspective I’m still to see any improvements; in fact things just seem to be getting worse.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by KARFA
could you expand on how this cuts costs?
Your grace period is reduced by 4 weeks (current 7 weeks is cut to 4 weeks) so your ability to access lounges, fast track etc is reduced.
SW7London and londonba2014 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
April 1st 2025 is the date from which all changes to BAEC can be rolled out across the whole scheme with equal effect.

That is the obvious point to start revenue based earning, same for everyone.

if you’re looking for a reason, look no further than that. And if close to gfl, I’d be looking to complete earning by then.
geronimo, wrp96, becks1 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:17 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
Maybe I'm getting this all wrong, lets go with your take on things, I'm presently Silver with a 8th Sept 24 year end at present, If I qualify for gold before 8th Sept 24, I'd be gold until 31st Oct 2025?
Yes, that's my read on it. There's nothing in the FAQ to suggest otherwise ,and the explicitly mention that noting will change for the way you earn status for any TP year ending before March 8th 2025.
Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
(Bare with me here , say I then don't take any flights, would my soft landing from Gold to Silver have a end date of end March 2026? (ie almost 6 months shorter than it would have been?)
The FAQ appears silent on the soft landing, but yes, that is one possible outcome (April rather than March, but point taken). It may be that soft landings are for a shorter duration, or they may give the full year. We don't have enough info.

So I think a more accurate way to put it is no one will have their current status shortened, or any status earned before March 8th 2024. Soft landing status may be shortened.

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Aligning elite qualification periods with Iberia Plus. I wonder if the long-rumoured merger is in the works...

Also aligns with AA FWIW...
Step by step by step, we get closer to that merger...

Can't be too far away now - I'd say if Aer Lingus move to the same thing, then the merger rumours are more than rumours.
Arsey00 likes this.

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
It looks like my 1120 tp points from an april may ba holiday will be worth double what I thought...
BA or bust, BA1321, the810 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer
I renewed Gold in November and have an 8th October TP year start. Figured I'd got Gold until November 2025 (year I achieved it, plus the year after). Now it seems I'm Gold until April 2025, 7 months less than expected.
Similar to my scenario - I will soft land to Silver in Nov 24 and expected to have from then until Nov 25 to maintain it which I would have done from Easter/Summer 25 travel. Now looks like I will have to get the 600 points before 1 Apr 25 or I will drop again to Bronze! I won't be earning many TPs this year as focussing on reward travel.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:19 am

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Some FAQ:

Potentially a big boost for anyone hunting lifetime status- although I am not sure that the TP adjustment would be added to the total?
How does it boost LT TP's? Post 38 mean that is not the case, or am I missing something?

Whilst it may simplify things for Amex, BA itself loses an opportunity in terms of spreading TP/avios runs and lounge occupancy throughout the year.

Always funny to see how the United lounges used to empty out at the start of the new collecting year!
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by 2358
How does it boost LT TP's? Post 38 mean that is not the case, or am I missing something?

Whilst it may simplify things for Amex, BA itself loses an opportunity in terms of spreading TP/avios runs and lounge occupancy throughout the year.

Always funny to see how the United lounges used to empty out at the start of the new collecting year!
My mistake- I clarified in post #38 and will strike-through in my original post.

I agree I think there are going to be some unintended consequences of this change, hopefully within tolerance levels.
2358 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Deltus
Will soft landing from Gold to Silver still exist? The FAQs seem silent on the matter, which might mean nothing's changing...?
I would not worry about this, otherwise it would have been mentioned.

Soft landings are an incentive for people to stick with the airline. If you go from Gold to Blue, you really have no reason not to switch airlines. The soft landing keeps you buying with the current airline as you still have some perks.

It would be a disaster for BA to remove that, so I am not concerned about this in any way whatsoever.
BA or bust, crazy8534 and Solihull like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:21 am

I think I’ll be one of the ones missing out thanks to this…. My current year end is December and I flew a 360 tier point trip this January. I have a 280 point trip in May that should have then qualified me to retain silver.

By my understanding, I now need to find the money and annual leave for a 320 point trip and take it before April next year if I don’t want to drop to bronze in 2025. It all seems so confusing, pointless and annoying.
BA or bust and londonba2014 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.