Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

** BA ANNOUNCEMENT : all Tier Point collection years to start 1st April **

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crazy8534
BA FAQ : Tier Point collection changes | Executive Club | British Airways

What is happening?

British Airways are changing the TP collection year (also known as the BA Executive Club Year) so that everyone will have an expiry of 31st March going forward.
Their email states:

From next year, your Tier status will reset at the same time as everyone else's, meaning you’ll have the same Tier Point collection year as friends and family who are also members of the Executive Club.
In future, the Tier Point collection year will start on 1 April and end on 31 March every year. The change will be in place for all British Airways Executive Club Members starting from 1 April 2025.

How will this affect my current year?

You will earn and achieve/retain status as per the current set-up until the end of your current TP year.
e.g. If you have achieved or expect to achieve 1500TPs before the end of your current TP year (8th of a month) you will retain or be promoted to Gold status.

How will this affect the subsequent year?

Your next TP earning year will be SHORTER and will end on 31st March 2025.
You will have between the start of your next TP earning year and 31st March 2025 to earn the required number of TPs to attain or retain status.
e.g. if you are Gold you need to get 1500TPs between 8th October 2024 and 31st March 2025.

HOWEVER: BA will add all of the TPs that you earn between 1st April 2024 and the end of your current membership year (in the case above 8th October 2024) to next year's total.
This means that your target for TP earning in the year [Start of year something 8th of a month] 24- 31st March 25 will be your normal target (e.g. 1500TPs) MINUS whatever you earned from 1st April 2024 until the end of your current year.
Effectively, you should consider 1st April 2024 as the new start of your next TP earning year for TP collection purposes.

Status earned in the new (next) year will be valid until end of April 2026.

How will my current status card expiry date be affected?

BA have confirmed that it will NOT be affected.
i.e. if you have Silver status with a card expiry of 31st December 2025 (having already achieved silver renewal since 8th November 2023) this will not be affected.
If you subsequently drop to Bronze status then this will expire 30th April 2026.

Will I be able to double-dip (use the April 24 - TP collection year end date TPs twice) for Lifetime TPs?

No

Will I be able to double-dip for GUFs etc.?

I don't think we know yet.

If I earn TPs in the Amex TP offer between 1st April and 21st May 2024 (when the offer expires) will these count in the double-dip?

We believe that the answer to this is yes.

Has the 'grace' period for status reduced?

Yes.
Whereas it used to be until the end of the month following your year end (i.e. if you had a year ending 8th October you would be Gold with a card valid until 30th November) everyone will now have a card that is valid until 30th April.
Just under 2 months 'grace' has decreased to just under 1 month.

What about GGL status retention?

BA have confirmed that you must achieve 3000TP, during your SHORTENED/transition year (with the addition of the ‘doubled’ TPs from April 1st 2024) in order to maintain continuous GGL membership. If you fail to do so your GGL status will expire at the date of card expiry from your last 8-8th year (even though this may be as late as 30th April 2026) and you would need to requalify at 5000TPs again.

This has particular implications for those who may be earning a significant number of TPs in February and March 2024 as these will not be counted into the SHORTENED/transition year.

Worked example (crazy8534)?

crazy8534's current status/TP earning year ends 8th June 2024.
He has already renewed GGL status so has a card that will expire with GGL status on 31st July 2025.
He will earn 2000TPs between 1st April 2024 and 8th June 2024.

His TP year will reset on 8th June 2024 and he will have 0TPs.
BA will then add the TPs that he has earned between 1st April 2024 and 8th June 2024 to his current year total (but not his lifetime total), giving him 2000TPs for the year 24/25.
He will need to earn another 1000TPs between 8th June 2024 and 31st March 2025 to renew GGL.
If he renews GGL then his new status will last until 30th April 2026.

If he fails to renew GGL status before 31st March 2025 then it will still last until 31st July 2025 (as per his current card).
He will then fall to either Gold (if earned >1500TPs) or Silver (if earned <1500TPs) until 30th April 2026.

Print Wikipost

** BA ANNOUNCEMENT : all Tier Point collection years to start 1st April **

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:51 am

Programs: BA GGL
This change reduces the 'grace period' from approx 7 weeks to a month, rendering it much harder to earn 2 years' status for the price of one (without downgrading whilst doing so). To be fair, that was always somewhat of a loophole but nevertheless it's a shame it is now nearly closed.
kingstontoon and jonr405 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Of all the things to do at the moment... why this?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
That's my take on it too (If that is the case, I may well re consider if I chase Gold)
I renewed Gold in November and have an 8th October TP year start. Figured I'd got Gold until November 2025 (year I achieved it, plus the year after). Now it seems I'm Gold until April 2025, 7 months less than expected.
Bobdh13, Arsey00 and GoNorth like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:53 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
Is this an early April Fools’ joke? Don’t they have more important things to fix?
I am guessing this is about simplifying the underlying IT/making it less bespoke. Makes it easier to use off the shelf solutions for other upgrades and integrate with other products.

Who knows whether it will all work but it’s very likely this is the motivation.

I can’t get my head around the transition period, but I am moderately pleased my year end moves from July to April. It means my main summer holiday will always fall in the same collection year.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer
I renewed Gold in November and have an 8th October TP year start. Figured I'd got Gold until November 2025 (year I achieved it, plus the year after). Now it seems I'm Gold until April 2025, 7 months less than expected.
It does seem really unfair.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sigma421
Cost cutting is in our DNA

So glad to have LTG and be off the TP hamster wheel.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by sigma421
It'll help reduce complaints about overcrowded lounges by cutting people's status durations?
oceanscape likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Potentially a big boost for anyone hunting lifetime status- although I am not sure that the TP adjustment would be added to the total?
Apologies, the total will not be added to LTP:

Will the Tier Point Adjustment count towards my Lifetime Tier Points?
No, your Tier Point Adjustment won't be added to your Lifetime Tier Points. Lifetime Tier Points are accumulated once for each eligible flight, meaning they'll only be credited into your lifetime balance once.

Also I imagine it means that everyone will have the same GGL space-release (Joker) renewal date,
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Raffles
Am I dim or are some people (like me) getting stuffed here?

I am Gold, earned this year, with an 8th Sep 2024 year end.

I would be Gold until 31st October 2025 under the current schedule.

Under this new schedule, I only appear to be Gold until 30th April 2025.

Or am I missing something?
Is you glass half empty , half full or just twice as large as necessary?

If , during April 24 - April 25 period , you will earn the required TPs to renew in April, you could be better off than if you were not to have the change but failed to meet the Sept 24 - Sept 25 requirements under current earning
If with the change you were not to meet the April - April requirements, then you would be better off under the old
If you would renew regardless, then it is moot
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by Tim_T
Personally as a family all having the same date will be an improvement.
Yes I think this makes it easier with a household account for sure
Tim_T, ttama and oceanscape like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Cost cutting is in our DNA

So glad to have LTG and be off the TP hamster wheel.
could you expand on how this cuts costs?
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:59 am

Luckily, BA's IT is amazing. Even so I think I'll be keeping careful notes of all my flights/avios and TPs earnt just to make sure it gets it right.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:01 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
It does seem really unfair.
As far as I can tell, no-one will end up with a shortened status. From the FAQ:

No, there will be no change to:
  • Your current Tier status
  • The benefits you receive according to your Tier status
  • The way you can renew or upgrade your status during your Tier Point collection period ending on or before 8 March 2025
Any Tier status earned in your next Tier Point collection period ending on 31 March 2025 will be valid until 30 April 2026.
If, for example, you have a Sep 8th 2024 year end, and have already retained Gold, you will remain Gold until October 31st 2025.

Beyond that, your next status would depend upon the TPs earned Apr 1st 2024 to March 31st 2025, with status expiring April 30th 2026.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC
Honestly, was pondering whether I went for Silver again or not (lowly I know) - but think this announcement supports my decision not to bother as a July year end.

The fact it's screwing a good few passengers over is one thing, but once again absolutely no notice that changes are taking place and also the general timings - it just demonstrates BA is in planet cuckoo - with the hundreds of other things they should be prioritising in terms of general operation/customer experience.

No doubt this change will further clog up customer services as a result of poor roll out and customer confusion.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
As far as I can tell, no-one will end up with a shortened status. From the FAQ:

If, for example, you have a Sep 8th 2024 year end, and have already retained Gold, you will remain Gold until October 31st 2025.

Beyond that, your next status would depend upon the TPs earned Apr 1st '24 to March 31st '25, with status expiring April 20th 2026.
I think this is correct.
I gifted Gold to one of my children in August 23 which gave him a card that expired 31st July 25.
I have just logged into his account and the card expiry date remains the same.
If I gift status again August 25 (assuming he doesn't re-qualify himself) then I would expect that status to last for a shorter period but until end April 27.

Originally Posted by londonba2014
Honestly, was pondering whether I went for Silver again or not (lowly I know) - but think this announcement supports my decision not to bother as a July year end.

The fact it's screwing a good few passengers over is one thing, but once again absolutely no notice that changes are taking place and also the general timings - it just demonstrates BA is in planet cuckoo - with the hundreds of other things they should be prioritising in terms of general operation/customer experience.

No doubt this change will further clog up customer services as a result of poor roll out and customer confusion.
Are you earning any TPs between April and July this year?
If so, it will be potentially easier for you to re-qualify next year by just earning the balance = 600 - [whatever you earned April-July 2024] from July 24 until April 25.
This will then give you status until April 26 whereas your current status will expire end August 25.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.