Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 F Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2024, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

A380 F Retrofit

I flew on a BA A380 flight in first class this past summer and was disappointed with the condition of the hard product. It was very worn, and some of the hardware was even missing completely. I know that BA is doing a retrofit of the Club cabins of the A380s this year, but does anyone happen to know if they will also refresh the first class cabin on that aircraft as well? I have booked an F A380 flight later in 2024 and would love to know.

(Disclaimer: I did search for this but didn't come across anything - so mods please redirect or delete as needed.)
Old Jan 18, 2024, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Yes, supposedly a brand new F product is coming and will be premiered on the A380 (given the delay to the 777X), but certainly not this year.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
It appears BA’s aim is to have its entire LH fleet retrofitted with Club Suites by the end of 2026:

https://simpleflying.com/british-air...e-before-2027/

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...business-class

Next in line for CS are the 787-8s however this was first announced Jan 23 and none have been started yet:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...id=76903425829

Appreciate your question is regarding new F however my assumption would be new F will be retrofitted to the A380s at the same time as they install CS and it looks like it’ll still be quite a while before the A380s get this done.

There’s some very knowledgable forum members post on the following thread regarding new equipment and retrofitting of the existing fleet:

BA Fleet Status

On last couple of pages there’s some recent discussions about the retrofitting of the 777s and 787-8s. I’ve seen no mention of the A380s. Worth keeping an eye on.

I’ve no inside info and only pulling together snippets I’ve read on this forum so some far more knowledgable forum members may be along to give more detailed (and accurate ) updates.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 3:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
When the A380s go offline for the Club Suite refits, all other cabins are also being updated - including the new First cabin.
PETER01, Joeykins, jlemon and 8 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC
If you’re looking for a definitive answer to your question, I very much doubt you will get one, not yet anyway. From the various posts and articles on here and elsewhere, all we know is that the A380 will be refitted by 2027. As for a new F, there’s been no official announcements or confirmation on this other than all cabins are being refurbished.

I would plan your flight later this year on the current F and whatever works for you. IF an A380 is refitted by Autumn this year AND just happens to be on your route, day and flight number, count yourself lucky! Aircraft changes are a constant within BA and I wouldn't book a flight due to the aircraft type. So overall I don’t think I’m out of line by saying we simply don’t know.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Galley FM chat on multiple flights indicates that a new F suite is coming and it will be a separate seat and bed. And that it will be on the upper deck. It is galley FM though..

Having said that, this emerging design concept (if true) is in line with what some others in oneworld are doing (I.e. JAL and QF) as well as other non-oneworld competitors (i.e. LH).
Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by Foofighter69
Galley FM chat on multiple flights indicates that a new F suite is coming and it will be a separate seat and bed. And that it will be on the upper deck.
(i.e. LH).
I thought the upper deck of the A380 isn’t strong enough for the new F suites
Old Jan 18, 2024, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by tattikat2
Wasn't the same said for T5 and the new security scanners?

​​​It was mooted at some point but ultimately who can say what's fact and what's fiction until anything is formally announced?

The poster did also state Galley FM which is ultimately code for subject to interpretation and likely to be based on at least a 5th hand rumour with embellishments added for good measure along the way before it reached them.
BA or bust and 13901 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by AADFW
I flew on a BA A380 flight in first class this past summer and was disappointed with the condition of the hard product. It was very worn, and some of the hardware was even missing completely.
Yes, it's poor and the IFE almost unusable. I flew this in March and it was one of the most disappointing flights of 2023. Having said that, F on the 777 to JFK 3 weeks ago was one of my better recent flights. Slighter better cabin (8 seats) and fantastic crew.

I flew in the Club Suite on the way back this week and felt it was very small, narrow and compact in comparison.

I've been told by two IFM's that the A380 will be the first with the new F (end of 2024?) and that it will also be reconfigured, too.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by tattikat2
The upper deck of an A380 is strong enough to support Etihad's The Residence, so unless BA is planning to make its new F seat out of marble I'd say that this is a bit of a myth.
VSLover and toothy like this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 3:32 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
My understanding from what I have heard. is there are various specifications of flooring for the A380 upper deck and BA chose the cheapest one…hence facing different challenges to the likes of EK/EY/SQ.
tattikat2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.