Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How windy is “windy” on Sunday at Heathrow? [Storm Isha]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How windy is “windy” on Sunday at Heathrow? [Storm Isha]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2024, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Deleted
Old Jan 21, 2024, 1:41 pm

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JD1905
Indeed - just saw a Ryanair flight from Paphos to DUB divert to EDI after 6 and a half hours. Ouch.

Wonder why Ryanair aren’t going to Belfast. Good evening to be a taxi Driver here though!
So my Ryanair from gla to dub was cancelled, I managed to snag a seat on Easy jet from Edinburgh to BFS. Easy enough to get a taxi from BFS to Dublin airport?

I'm booked into the Crowne Plaza there for the night before 9am flight to US tomorrow.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Jpm81
So my Ryanair from gla to dub was cancelled, I managed to snag a seat on Easy jet from Edinburgh to BFS. Easy enough to get a taxi from BFS to Dublin airport?

I'm booked into the Crowne Plaza there for the night before 9am flight to US tomorrow.
You should be able to get a taxi from BFS to Dublin. If you can’t, get a taxi or bus into Belfast City Centre. From there you will be able to get a bus with either Translink or Aircoach to Dublin Airport. It used to be hourly but might be 2-hourly now. For the bus expect to pay under £20 single. I’m not sure about the taxi fare, would be subject to negotiation I would expect.
Jpm81 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by bd95
You should be able to get a taxi from BFS to Dublin. If you can’t, get a taxi or bus into Belfast City Centre. From there you will be able to get a bus with either Translink or Aircoach to Dublin Airport. It used to be hourly but might be 2-hourly now. For the bus expect to pay under £20 single. I’m not sure about the taxi fare, would be subject to negotiation I would expect.
Thank you - I saved the work many thousands on booking the ticket this way so they can certainly cover the taxi!
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
It's really windy out there!
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
You'll likely find someone to drive you .. at a price and you'd need to haggle given the weather perhaps .. lots of trees down etc, but I'm sure the main Dublin-Belfast road is okay and you'd be on that for most of the way .. little under 2hrs drive /100 miles normally , perhaps a bit more tonight

Edited to add - https://belfastairporttaxis.com/ suggests a little less than £200 if arranged in advance ... I guess you'd be looking at a bit more than that turning up at the rank and trying to convince someone to drive you to Dublin on a night like tonight !
Jpm81 likes this.

Last edited by EvilDoctorK; Jan 21, 2024 at 2:26 pm
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
You'll likely find someone to drive you .. at a price and you'd need to haggle given the weather perhaps .. lots of trees down etc, but I'm sure the main Dublin-Belfast road is okay and you'd be on that for most of the way .. little under 2hrs drive /100 miles normally , perhaps a bit more tonight

Edited to add - https://belfastairporttaxis.com/ suggests a little less than £200 if arranged in advance ... I guess you'd be looking at a bit more than that turning up at the rank and trying to convince someone to drive you to Dublin on a night like tonight !
If pushed would have estimated a three figure sum, with the first digit not being a 1. But it’s been a while since I’ve needed a taxi from Belfast to Dublin.
EvilDoctorK likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (GGL, GFL)
Gatwick seems pretty bad at the moment (9.45pm). Nearly everything has been going around in the last 15 mins.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by dbowers95
Hi all - I'm flying GLA-LHR-LAX tomorrow, on the 0615 from Glasgow (BA1475) and 1010 to Los Angeles (BA283) - does anyone have an idea of the chances of the Glasgow leg being cancelled?
100%. The flight has been cancelled now...
Old Jan 21, 2024, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
It's pretty gusty out there across the UK and wider. With such gusty conditions so much comes down to the final 30 sec of approach but kudos goes out to ATC who are having to dynamically re-plan many flights based on multiple variables today. Not Speedbird but below is just one example The UK is a complex ATC map when predictable, let alone today!

atcodave likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 3:11 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
All LCY flights cancelled,

Orginally booked on LCY - RTM BA4457
Rebooked by checkin counter to LCY - AMS BA8457

After watching the delays slide ....
Approached LCY reservations, no we wont rebook you, all flight are operating,
Showing the LCY cancelled flights board,
We need to verify with management,
Quote not mine" THEY said LCY board updated officially before BA's public statement"

Yes we can rebook you again:
Trying again same flight, same tine BA4457 LCY - RTM for tomorrow 22 JAN.

Italian guy to Milano next to me:
"can i share a room with you, we can split the cost?"

Two girlsfriends (cat)fighting,
"no i need to be home tomorrow so i have right to grab that last seat on the first flight to Munich"

Dutch tart next to me,
"i've been through LCY security 3 times in and out to get new rebookings / boarding pass as my flights all were cancelled
i demand you book me the Mandarin Oriental because i need to have 2 days of shopping at Knightsbridge to recover my nerves"!
Her goriilla husband: " yes dear, what ever you say dear, you have suffered dear,...."

Me?
Mother says we should actually stay couple days extra ....
Yet we do have travel partners who are more nervous and on a thight schedule and want to return home ....l

Anyway lots of strength everyone ....l

Had a quick nosh at Hardrock café Mayfair,
it's shop it's flagpole snapped and broke,
and fire brigade had to secure the premises and aid the wounded.......

Spoiler: despair, agony, torment at its zenith
Spoiler

And almost if BA is saying its a cruel irony ....

Yay, BA is aiding us in our peril !

Let's do it online .....

Well that was a wash out , sheer disappointment ......
VSLover, dkeng and Traveller 935 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jpm81
Thank you - I saved the work many thousands on booking the ticket this way so they can certainly cover the taxi!
Maybe price a car rental from BFS to DUB ?
Old Jan 21, 2024, 3:15 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Very bumpy landing into LHR at 9.20pm. The trains to and from Heathrow are experiencing issues caused by overhead wires near Heathrow Junction being affected by the weather.

Also had a quite extraordinary experience at GVA where the BA check-in staff had a go at me for the temerity of having called the GGL line to rebook my cancelled flight on the journey to the airport, instead of just turning up and accepting whatever I was offered by the check-in staff (the people checking in next to me were offered a flight 21:00 tomorrow)

Last edited by alexwuk; Jan 21, 2024 at 3:25 pm
Old Jan 21, 2024, 3:27 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by Above
It's really windy out there!
No Sh!t Sherlock!
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 4:13 pm

Alas my BFS plan went awry with a cancellation there too. UA to rebook from EDI was going to be an extra £13k

Switched to Tuesday ex Dub on that ticket and we'll go again tomorrow to try to get to the Emerald Isle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.