Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you? (Upgrade front row WTP to old CW on day flight)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you? (Upgrade front row WTP to old CW on day flight)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2024, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by SpurMan
No brainer IMO. Upgrade immediately!
Alright already! Done hours ago .

So for about £1250 and 48k Avios, I have a CW return, a car, and 360TPs

Not exactly a TP run but a decent result. The timings of some of the ME flights make it possible to *just* get into double TP territory with a quite efficient trip. And car hire is cheap as chips out there.
our_kid, bafan and krispy84 like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I know I'm too late but my answer would have been double and arguably contradictory:

Originally Posted by ratechaser
Currently in 21B (front row WTP) on a 777 mid-haul day flight. (Old) CW redemptions are wide open - would cost 24k + ~£150.
I hate WT+, it doesn't do it for me, so yes if it were me I would upgrade, though of course, if it were me, I wouldn't be in your situation in the first place as I'd have booked Y if for whatever reason J was not a reasonable option. BUT...

The ONLY thing that tempts me is that as a single traveler, I just MIGHT get an opup to 1st.
But... if I were you and that is the only thing tempting then i definitely would not have upgraded. I know you have anyway, but hopefully you found some other reasons to look forward to J because if it's only the hope of an elusive upgrade, disappointment is obviously likely...
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:04 pm

Currently in 21B (front row WTP) on a 777 mid-haul day flight. (Old) CW redemptions are wide open - would cost 24k + ~£150. I'm silver so get the business soft benefits already.
Old CW doesn't offer a great deal of benefits for me (old IFE for one) on a daytime flight, but if you have a tonne of spare Avios, why not? I have about 600,000 Avios to use up, so for me it would be a no-brainer personally. If I had, say, 100,000, I possibly wouldn't bother.

The key benefit of CW I guess is the space to work and for me, in the day, that's essential I check-in from time to time.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:12 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I did very similar to this today, albeit going Westbound rather than East. Booked a great price to JFK in WT+, which I would have managed happily. Called up on the off-chance, and was quoted 24k avios + £140 to upgrade to CS. I upgraded. For me, CS or CW is just far more comfortable than WT+, and the price offered was v good.
ratechaser and crazy8534 like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 10:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Before 18th October 2023 I would have said yes if I had enough Avios in my account. Now, since I live in a country where you can earn Avios by flying only - so 24k Avios are not that easy to earn back again - for a 6h day flight I would remain in WTP.

(that said, I admit that I usually book J from the beginning for flights over 5 hours)
Modo likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 10:32 pm

A flat bed is a flat bed. Enough said.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
A flat bed is a flat bed. Enough said.
a flat bed on a moving aeroplane is an uncomfortable unstable park bench that you have to pay a fortune for.

luckily for some large corporates pay up on the basis that executives will be more productive the next day.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 3:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Modo
a flat bed on a moving aeroplane is an uncomfortable unstable park bench that you have to pay a fortune for.
Let's agree to disagree
Old Jan 11, 2024, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Modo

luckily for some large corporates pay up on the basis that executives will be more productive the next day.
Funnily enough, I was about to post that, based on this argument, a park bench would therefore be 'a bed' - but then some people sleep a lot more effectively than I do.

I didn't even think that my 'bed' in First last month was all that comfortable. possibly the best bed in the sky I've ever had was on the old boutique airline EOS, because it was a proper rectangle shape, no twisty, wide to narrow bits that my body really doesn't work that well with.

But the extra space is nonetheless nice to have, so I'll take it at that price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.