Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you? (Upgrade front row WTP to old CW on day flight)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold

Before anyone makes the obvious point, yes it's a personal decision, but that's why I'm interested in opinions here.

Currently in 21B (front row WTP) on a 777 mid-haul day flight. (Old) CW redemptions are wide open - would cost 24k + ~£150. I'm silver so get the business soft benefits already.

So although nominally, this offers me about 4p/Avio in terms of WTP/CW cash price differential, I'm having a hard time justifying to myself doing the upgrade.

The ONLY thing that tempts me is that as a single traveler, I just MIGHT get an opup to 1st. But on a UUA, I'd guess I'm bottom of the pile there.

I'm definitely going to UUA the inbound as it's overnight, but on my shoes, would you leave the outbound as is...?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Are you heading Westbound TATL on the outbound? I have almost always been up fairly early for a domestic connection and would be glad of a proper lie-flat nap after the meal so I would say certainly yes. With current BA CW prices you won’t get much better value than the cost you have stated. Plus extra TPs and avios. I guess my declaration of interest is that I have a 7 figure pile of avios just now and so using 24k would be virtually meaningless. Others would value it at perhaps £200+. Still, I think £350 for an upgrade to CW is a no-brainer.
ibbitsc and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yes if one of the better seats is available.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Are you heading Westbound TATL on the outbound? I have almost always been up fairly early for a domestic connection and would be glad of a proper lie-flat nap after the meal so I would say certainly yes. With current BA CW prices you won’t get much better value than the cost you have stated. Plus extra TPs and avios.
Eastbound.

And no, a UUA won't get me any more TPs or Avios (barring an error in my favour) otherwise that would be an obvious reason to do it!
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:21 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I would upgrade for that price. Even the legacy CW seat outranks a WTP seat in terms of comfort
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Eastbound.

And no, a UUA won't get me any more TPs or Avios (barring an error in my favour) otherwise that would be an obvious reason to do it!
Quite right, sorry, definitely no extra TPs or avios…!
ratechaser likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
On a day flight unless it got me extra tier points I wouldn't but then I never sleep on flights so the bed is redundant on me.
DXB2745 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
IMO, I would for that price, especially as a single traveller - although how long is the flight ?

Last time we were in WTP we had terrible service. It's really just economy with a slightly better seat and CE style food for the main meal.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by AJA_
I would upgrade for that price. Even the legacy CW seat outranks a WTP seat in terms of comfort
+1 here, Eastbound I would want the lie flat
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlexIG
IMO, I would for that price, especially as a single traveller - although how long is the flight ?

Last time we were in WTP we had terrible service. It's really just economy with a slightly better seat and CE style food for the main meal.
It's a 6 hour flight. The last WTP I did on my own was an overnight and not much fun as I had a restless person next to me and someone in front that was very eager to recline the moment the seatbelt sign went off. But I'm thinking a bulkhead daytime seat should in theory at least be rather better...

Im very much on the fence here. Price wise, it's very good. Value wise, not so sure...
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:44 am

No brainer for me if you can get a window seat in old club, it's the best seat in the sky for aimlessly looking out of the three windows on a day flight and I find the way that seat reclines/cradles you more makes it much more comfortable as a very relaxing day chair than the way CS reclines. Nightime, I find CS better as someone who is slightly too tall for an old CW flat bed.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:03 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
For a six hour flight, I would definitely upgrade to Club for that price. Especially if my last premium economy experience was as negative as yours sounds! I would value the personal space and the ability to change position, and my back would no doubt thank me for it.
bafan, wrp96, ratechaser and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joshm300
No brainer for me if you can get a window seat in old club, it's the best seat in the sky for aimlessly looking out of the three windows on a day flight and I find the way that seat reclines/cradles you more makes it much more comfortable as a very relaxing day chair than the way CS reclines. Nightime, I find CS better as someone who is slightly too tall for an old CW flat bed.
Interesting as I've always shied away from rear facing CW seats. I suspect there might be something psychological there as the only flight I've ever flown backwards on was an old Dan Air flight that had seats facing each other around the middle emergency exit. I was sick as a dog... mind you I was very young and it was only about my 3rd ever flight.

Perhaps it's time to face my fears on this one
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
The problem with bulkhead seats is that they tend to cramp your legroom with the hard bulkhead - you get more knee room but less foot room, which may not matter too much if you're not especially tall.

Unless you desperately need the avios and/or cash for something else, I'd jump at the chance.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I'd go for it too. Even if you fancied a little nap then old CW is good for that compared to WTP. 24k and a little cash will make your journey far more pleasurable even though its a relatively short 'long haul'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.