Wiki Posts
Search

Ba flight price cash + avios

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Ba flight price cash + avios

Hi guys, apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere in the forum but I have searched the threads and cant see anything as yet.

I am looking to travel to the east coast of America unfortunately during half term 10/11 Feb to Thursday 15/16 Feb. However having been scouring sky scanner and the BA site I was completely gob smacked to be seeing the cheapest flights for CW starting at about 16-18K I paid 2.8 In December about 1.8 in August. I was so shocked I looked beyond halft term I to March and the price point was only a couple of 1,000 cheaper. Considering we are also in a sale period I just cant get my head round this pricing? Is there any insight as to why the price is so high? I have some Avios so I can get a reward flight with cash + Avios which makes it bearable but unfortunately I cant find a return flight from EWR/PHL/LOG/IAD/JFK apart from one from JFK at 7 in the morning.

any assistance and insight would be much appreciated,

Best Regards
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC

This is what Im seeing. Single passenger. This was advertised as sale price on the BA website when selecting the fare.
Bboa likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:39 am

You've probably missed the advance purchase requirement for many of the cheaper Club fares which for UK departures start to rocket within 42 days of travel. You also typically need to stay in the US for a minimum of a Saturday night (ie return on the Sunday at the earliest) in order to qualify for the cheaper fares. You've not mentioned any specifics other than it's half term which is always going to be subjective depending on where you live in the country.
Bboa likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:39 am
Original Poster

That’s great, I have no idea why I can’t see those prices let me check now I was just checking seat spy and no additional released flights have been released.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Bboa
Thats great, I have no idea why I cant see those prices let me check now I was just checking seat spy and no additional released flights have been released.
Its worth clearing your browser history.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
You've probably missed the advance purchase requirement for many of the cheaper Club fares which for UK departures start to rocket within 42 days of travel. You also typically need to stay in the US for a minimum of a Saturday night (ie return on the Sunday at the earliest) in order to qualify for the cheaper fares. You've not mentioned any specifics other than it's half term which is always going to be subjective depending on where you live in the country.

thank you in terms of specific, I am not overly fussy in where I fly into just need to leave from JFK. With the standard leave the U.K. early and leave the US late. I have also used seat spy to try and maximise my Avios and find reward flights, I didnt realise you get a better rate if you stay of 7 days + do you think it would be best to book PE and upgrade later?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
thank you in terms of specific, I am not overly fussy in where I fly into just need to leave from JFK. With the standard leave the U.K. early and leave the US late. I have also used seat spy to try and maximise my Avios and find reward flights, I didn’t realise you get a better rate if you stay of 7 days + do you think it would be best to book PE and upgrade later?
Upgrade later with cash or Avios? If Avios, there's no certainty there will be any when you want, so this is a risky approach
Bboa likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:02 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Hi guys, apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere in the forum but I have searched the threads and can’t see anything as yet.

I am looking to travel to the east coast of America unfortunately during half term 10/11 Feb to Thursday 15/16 Feb. However having been scouring sky scanner and the BA site I was completely gob smacked to be seeing the cheapest flights for CW starting at about 16-18K I paid 2.8 In December about 1.8 in August. I was so shocked I looked beyond halft term I to March and the price point was only a couple of 1,000 cheaper. Considering we are also in a sale period I just can’t get my head round this pricing? Is there any insight as to why the price is so high? I have some Avios so I can get a reward flight with cash + Avios which makes it bearable but unfortunately I can’t find a return flight from EWR/PHL/LOG/IAD/JFK apart from one from JFK at 7 in the morning.

any assistance and insight would be much appreciated,

Best Regards
Honey - I (of all people) have had a look as well. The cheapest appears to be American from CDG which outbound shows 1800+ with American and with American + BA. YOu could use your Avios to get you to CDG and back. Just a thought
Bboa likes this.

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Jan 9, 2024 at 7:50 am
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Upgrade later with cash or Avios? If Avios, there's no certainty there will be any when you want, so this is a risky approach
do you have much experience with monitoring reward flights, do more tend to be release closer to the flight, Ive looked on seat alerts and a large proportion of the businsss cabin seems to be empty on the return flights I prefer Im open to upgrading with cash at the airport but that could be thousands couldnt it ?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:34 am

This thread but probably more useful is the 2023 version, might give you some indication of upgrade prices at the airport.

airport-upgrades-aup-promotion-2024-thread
Bboa likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Great thanks will follow

do you know if you it will work out more expensive booking two separate legs as opposed to 1 flight to one city and another flight from a different returning city under one booking? I’m getting more reward alerts now for cash + Avios so seeing what’s best

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.