Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Four letter codes are explained in post 1 - kindly read the summary.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2024, 6:47 am

Hi all. My flight from EWR to LHR (BA188) on 8 January has been cancelled. Is there any chance to find out the reason and whether I would be able to claim compensation? The email states “operational constraints”, which is not possible due really detailed.

Hello all. My flight BA188 from EWR to LHR on 8 January has been cancelled. Is there any way to find out the actual reason and whether I will be able to claim compensation?

Last edited by golfmad; Jan 8, 2024 at 7:41 pm
Old Jan 8, 2024, 6:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VLAD.D
Hello all. My flight BA188 from EWR to LHR on 8 January has been cancelled. Is there any way to find out the actual reason and whether I will be able to claim compensation?
yes looks like damage to the aircraft and compensation payable. Linked to ba189 I guess, see two posts above.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 6:56 am

DAMY - yes eligible for compensation as above
VLAD.D likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:10 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by DXB2745
DAMY - yes eligible for compensation as above
Provided, of course, that the OP is rebooked such as to leave more than an hour earlier than their scheduled departure time, or to arrive at their final destination more than 2 hours later than their scheduled arrival time.

If they are rebooked within those parameters then no compensation is payable. I'm aware of a pax on the BA189 who has been rebooked to JFK who will now be getting to JFK 30 minutes after they should have been at EWR.

No doubt a battle ahead for compensation as BA will inevitably try to argue that JFK is the same as EWR and that you can get from one to the other (including passport control) in less than 1.5 hours
VLAD.D likes this.

Last edited by flarmip; Jan 8, 2024 at 7:31 am
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:24 am

Thanks a lot for the response. I’ve been rebooked into another flight departing like 12 hours later from a different airport. I guess that I’m getting the compensation, right? Also, since I have to stay overnight, I assume I can claim back my hotel and food expenses as long as I don’t stay in the Carlyle and eat in Michelin restaurants, right?

however, I can potentially get on another flight that departs 1.5 after my original flight. My arrival would be within 2 hours of the original arrival time. Would this not be eligible for compensation? Departure would be from a different airport.

thanks a lot for your help!
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:35 am

Programs: BA GGL
Thanks a lot for the response. I’ve been rebooked into another flight departing like 12 hours later from a different airport. I guess that I’m getting the compensation, right? Also, since I have to stay overnight, I assume I can claim back my hotel and food expenses as long as I don’t stay in the Carlyle and eat in Michelin restaurants, right?

however, I can potentially get on another flight that departs 1.5 after my original flight. My arrival would be within 2 hours of the original arrival time. Would this not be eligible for compensation? Departure would be from a different airport.

thanks a lot for your help!
That's correct. You can claim back your reasonable expenses - as it's NYC, obviously that will inevitably cost you more than if you had been stuck somewhere like Belfast. Do keep receipts and remember that alcoholic drinks usually aren't covered. A screenshot of hotel prices across the city may help to show that wherever you stay is in keeping with average prices.

I may be corrected here by others, but my understanding is that you won't get any compensation if you choose a flight that keeps you within the -1/+2 hours parameters. You would nevertheless be entitled to claim back expenses for getting to JFK vice EWR.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by flarmip
That's correct. You can claim back your reasonable expenses - as it's NYC, obviously that will inevitably cost you more than if you had been stuck somewhere like Belfast. Do keep receipts and remember that alcoholic drinks usually aren't covered. A screenshot of hotel prices across the city may help to show that wherever you stay is in keeping with average prices.

I may be corrected here by others, but my understanding is that you won't get any compensation if you choose a flight that keeps you within the -1/+2 hours parameters. You would nevertheless be entitled to claim back expenses for getting to JFK vice EWR.
Thank you so much - all noted. I could get on a flight that leaves more than 1 hour earlier and still get compensation but don’t really see the point if my expenses will be covered to a reasonable extent. Thanks again for your advice.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
BA 238 cancellation cause - Jan 9 23

BA 238 from BOS-LHR cancelled tomorrow... looks like the BA 239 didn't come in tonight. Any BA insiders know the reason? Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2024, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kumulani
BA 238 from BOS-LHR cancelled tomorrow... looks like the BA 239 didn't come in tonight. Any BA insiders know the reason? Thanks!
TECY.

239 pushed back from stand and subsequently had an issue with the rear hold that necessitated a return to stand, subsequently cancelled.
Kumulani and jonr405 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 12:01 am

BA 802 GOT was also a late cancellation yesterday (8th Jan) due to anti-ice valve issues. TECY.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:54 am

Can somebody tell me the code for BA464 to MAD yesterday please? Had to abort the take-off roll at low speed and after 2 1/2 hours at the stand the flight was cancelled.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 4:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Henmar
Can somebody tell me the code for BA464 to MAD yesterday please? Had to abort the take-off roll at low speed and after 2 1/2 hours at the stand the flight was cancelled.
it sounds very much like a technical issue. did the flight crew say as much? getting the code won't really advance your claim any further, and i suspect you got the definitive reason from the pilots.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 4:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
8 Jan 2023 update

For the record

BA802 GOT = TECY
BA239 BOS = TECY
==-
Tuesday 9 January 2024

Greetings from a snowy Hamburg. Nill return so far for BA cancellations. This gives 303 BA departures today. The ATC report - bit of winter in an earlier report, indicating de-icing needs:

Landing RWY: 09L
Airborne holding (mins): 7
Departure RWY: 09R
TSAT delay average (mins): 0

Network: Lisbon regulation due low vis procedures, generating moderate delays. Paris ACC sector regulation due new ATC system implementation, generating low-moderate delays.

Weather: Easterlies all day. Ground and Air Frost warning valid until 0700. Risk of airframe icing continues throughout the day and into the night period.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
it sounds very much like a technical issue. did the flight crew say as much? getting the code won't really advance your claim any further, and i suspect you got the definitive reason from the pilots.
the technical issue was fixed after two hours, but then the flight crew timed out and the replacement crew wasn‘t ready fast enough because the ground staff at Madrid had limited working hours due to the strike and the arrival at MAD would have been too late. So I wonder if this counts as technical or strike-related.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, OWE
Originally Posted by Sigwx
TECY.

239 pushed back from stand and subsequently had an issue with the rear hold that necessitated a return to stand, subsequently cancelled.
I was on that so thanks! My parents were on TP218 Boston to Lisbon on Jan 8th which was also cancelled. Would someone be able to check the reason for that flight please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.