Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Four letter codes are explained in post 1 - kindly read the summary.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by garye
Can someone please provide me with the reason for the 5 hour delay to the BA255 from LHR to BGI yesterday 2nd January - thank you
Tech issues led to a late notice aircraft swap plus the need for an additional pilot due to the extended hours.
salut0 and IMH like this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thursday 4 January 2024

We have some longhauls today, but at least no weather cancelaltions at the moment:

BA189 EWR
BA223 BNA

There will be 321 BA departures from LHR today.

The ATC report is below, Langen is Hesse / middle of Germany. There was a light Restriction of 45/60 at LHR but it's just been cancelled.

Landing RWY: 27R
Airborne holding (mins): 6
Departure RWY: 27L
TSAT delay average (mins): 0

Network: EGLL Regulated 40/60 0620-2000, 40 Regs across Europe. EDDF (Frankfurt) Arrivals regulated due to ongoing technical issues, Moderate delays. LEMD (Madrid) Arrivals regulated due to low visibility, Moderate-high delays.
LPPT (Lisbon) Arrivals regulated at a reduced rate due to low visibility, Moderate delays. EDGG (Langen) Several regulations applied due to ongoing technical issues, Moderate delays.

Weather: A dry and sunny start to the day but high cloud pushing in from mid-morning from the SW as a developing low-pressure moves into S UK .Persistent rain from mid-afternoon onwards, this generally moderate but heavy periods into the evening likely. Surface flooding is likely with most of the rain falling over 4 hours late afternoon/early evening.
DaveS likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:39 am

I was booked with my family on BA 812 LHR-CPH, due to depart at 07.50 on 23 December.

BA cancelled this flight, informing us by text message on 22 December at 15.46, only around 16 hours before the planned departure.

BA offered to rebook us on a lunchtime flight on 24th or to refund us. After reviewing other options and finding no other flights at acceptable cost, we accepted the rebooked flight, cutting short our planned trip from four days to three.

BA has offered to compensate us for the expenses associated with the shortened trip (overpaid AirBNB, pet care, car parking), but won't offer the statutory compensation because it says the cancellation was due to high wind.

However, it did not give us this reason at the time. When we got to Heathrow on 24 Dec, a BA staff member told us the previous day's cancellation had been down to staffing problems.

I know there were high winds over Christmas, but Storm Gerrit didn't arrive until 27/28 December and the Heathrow wind on the morning of 23 December was around 25 km/h - nothing exceptional.

Should I pursue the compensation claim?
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by pamery
I was booked with my family on BA 812 LHR-CPH, due to depart at 07.50 on 23 December.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum. I would suggest you have a look at post 1 and the link to last year's thread. In post 3180 this flight was identified as a weather related cancellation (may take a few seconds to load):

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:59 am

Ba189 damy
ba223 tecy
Old Jan 4, 2024, 10:14 am

Hello! Had a recommendation to try here for some help on a cancelled flight last week. It was BA0208 MIA-LHR on 27th December. I saw there was a lot of chat about the earlier flight that day being 4 hour delayed, but didn't see anything on BA0208. Does anyone know the reason for the cancellation and if we could try for compensation? Thanks!!
Old Jan 4, 2024, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gill247
Hello! Had a recommendation to try here for some help on a cancelled flight last week. It was BA0208 MIA-LHR on 27th December. I saw there was a lot of chat about the earlier flight that day being 4 hour delayed, but didn't see anything on BA0208. Does anyone know the reason for the cancellation and if we could try for compensation? Thanks!!
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum.

Have a read of post 1, in particular about flights going to, rather than from London, then have a look at this post in last year's thread:
FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2023 edition
And as you can see it was a flight crew issue.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 5:31 pm

Any reason given for the 222/223 cancellation?

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave;[url=tel:35874911
35874911[/url]]Thursday 4 January 2024

We have some longhauls today, but at least no weather cancelaltions at the moment:

BA189 EWR
BA223 BNA

There will be 321 BA departures from LHR today.

The ATC report is below, Langen is Hesse / middle of Germany. There was a light Restriction of 45/60 at LHR but it's just been cancelled.

Airborne holding (mins): 6
TSAT delay average (mins): 0

Network: EGLL Regulated 40/60 0620-2000, 40 Regs across Europe. EDDF (Frankfurt) Arrivals regulated due to ongoing technical issues, Moderate delays. LEMD (Madrid) Arrivals regulated due to low visibility, Moderate-high delays.
LPPT (Lisbon) Arrivals regulated at a reduced rate due to low visibility, Moderate delays. EDGG (Langen) Several regulations applied due to ongoing technical issues, Moderate delays.

Weather: A dry and sunny start to the day but high cloud pushing in from mid-morning from the SW as a developing low-pressure moves into S UK .Persistent rain from mid-afternoon onwards, this generally moderate but heavy periods into the evening likely. Surface flooding is likely with most of the rain falling over 4 hours late afternoon/early evening.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 5:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by andymoss
[size=16px]Any reason given for the 222/223 cancellation?[/size]
TECY according to post #35.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Friday 5 January 2024 - Twelfth Night / Epiphany Eve (Attention HAL: this means you chop down that Dior Christmas Tree).

Today's cancellations are:

BA478 BCN = INDN
BA195 IAH
BA474 BCN= INDN
BA462 MAD= INDN
BA488 BCN= INDN

(Also Qatar have cancelled their executive jet gig to BSK, Biskra, Algeria).
The Spanish cancellations are due to airport handling strikes. AENA, the airport company, is trying to do a TUPE style movement of staff to new contractors, so this won't be claimable. This leaves 324 departures today for BA from LHR. The ATC report:is below, no Regulation at the moment.

Airborne holding (mins): 4min avg
TSAT delay average (mins): Omins

Network: EHAM: Arrivals regulated due to Aerodrome Capacity early morning. Moderate delays expected.
LLBG: Arrivals regulated due to Aerodrome Capacity throughout the day. Moderate to high delays predicted during early afternoon.
LECM: Possible tactical regulations expected for Pamplona, Domingo, Toledo and Zamora sectors due to ATC Capacity.

Weather: Frontal rain generally clearing around dawn but risk of light patchy rain until late morning. Expected to remain largely cloudy with only a few brighter breaks during the middle of the day before scattered showers feed in down the spine of the country through the evening and likely overnight. Moderate NW'lies becoming gentle in strength through the day then light N'lies into the overnight period
gcuk, DaveS and TedToToe like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:35 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Friday 5 January 2024 - Twelfth Night / Epiphany Eve (Attention HAL: this means you chop down that Dior Christmas Tree)….
….because we don’t want a year of bad luck for BA by leaving it up 😳
Old Jan 5, 2024, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
corporate-wage-slaveAlso Qatar have cancelled their executive jet gig to BSK, Biskra, Algeria”. Was this a temporary scheduled route? Never heard of it and doesn’t sound like it. Any details?
Old Jan 5, 2024, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by salut0
corporate-wage-slaveAlso Qatar have cancelled their executive jet gig to BSK, Biskra, Algeria”. Was this a temporary scheduled route? Never heard of it and doesn’t sound like it. Any details?
No idea. It was in the schedule and now it's not, and that's the limit of my knowledge. Perhaps QR store aircraft there?
Old Jan 5, 2024, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by TedToToe
TECY according to post #35.
Maaan, I hate doing that! Sincerest apologies. We're on 222 BNA-LHR on 1/18, so hoping for no repeat.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Friday 5 January 2024 - Twelfth Night / Epiphany Eve (Attention HAL: this means you chop down that Dior Christmas Tree).
According to my mother, as told to me a very long time ago, we take down the tree and decorations on the 6th. Presumably so that Twelfth Night itself is still decorated. Then we burn the holly in the fire on the 6th and how it burns shows the family luck for the year. (Attention HAL: that does not mean burn the tree in the terminal.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.