Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Four letter codes are explained in post 1 - kindly read the summary.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:39 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Livliv88
Can anyone help me with the details for the delayed flight from Hong Kong to LHR BA0028 dep on 8th Dec 23.40 please?
It caused us to be delayed over 24 hours due to missed connection [...]​​​
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Livliv88.

If you look at last year's thread you will see that there were quite a few weather and ATC related delays on 8 and 9 December. Your flight appears to have departed pretty much on time and to have reached LHR around 40 minutes late, unless I've made a mistake looking it up. So for you to have missed your connection it must have been quite tight (and you were unlucky that your onward flight wasn't also delayed a little).
Sigwx likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
The high winds seem to be affecting several flights.

A flight to Mumbai and a flight to Geneva were both delayed, as we heard in an announcement a short time ago.

Now BA113 is departing 1830 instead of 1620

I suspect the high winds are the reason BA183 LHR-JFK last flight of the day is cancelled: am
I right?
Old Jan 2, 2024, 11:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by salut0

I am on the return JFK-LHR on this aircraft - I have noticed that it left one C gate and just taxied to another C gate and is not waiting there it seems. Looks like it will be a long night!

aks120
Sigwx and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 11:20 am

Programs: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Tuesday 2 January update

Some further cancellations due to the weather event mentioned above, now named as Storm Henk.

BA826 DUB = WEAN
BA1348 JER = WEAN
BA1446 EDI = WEAN
BA1486 GLA = WEAN
BA316 CDG = WEAN
BA1428 BHD = WEAN
BA822 CPH = WEAN
BA1402 MAN = WEAN
BA426 AMS = WEAN
BA860 PRG = WEAN
BA1336 NCL = WEAN
BA1314 ABZ = WEAN
I guess BA704/705 was also cancelled due to weather.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Nick_USA
BA5 has departed.
Yes they’ve done well to get an operation up and running so credit where it is due (HND I refer to).

With the longest runway out of action it will cause notable issues for such long leg sectors, plus delays due to reduced airport capacity.

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
B296 ORD-LHR departure 1 Jan. arrived 1:30 late this morning (2 Jan) resulting in a missed connection and final delay of six hours. Pilot said they had problems with fueling. Can anyone find the code for the original delay?
What is the duty of care requirement? My son got a £10 voucher for a six hour delay; can he ask for more or should he just save receipts for the second meal?
As has been already highlighted the reason has been given by the flight crew which will be technical in nature and fully in scope, do refer to the threads CWS has signposted. Hope your son gets to his destination soon.

Hi,
Can anyone help me with the details for the delayed flight from Hong Kong to LHR BA0028 dep on 8th Dec 23.40 please?
It caused us to be delayed over 24 hours due to missed connection, BA are claiming delay was solely ATC related but aircraft was delayed departing too.
​​​
There were significant headwinds along the entire route which have slowed the progress of the aircraft down over the ground, that and the weather in and around London are the reasons and thus not in scope on initial reading and research.

Originally Posted by salut0
The high winds seem to be affecting several flights.

A flight to Mumbai and a flight to Geneva were both delayed, as we heard in an announcement a short time ago.

I suspect the high winds are the reason BA183 LHR-JFK last flight of the day is cancelled: am
I right?
It has indeed been causing issues. Some airbridges have been out of wind limits but are now all in limits again estate wide.

G-VIIS has had engineering work severely hampered at the tech base which has caused a late release to service. A lack of resources has led to a late tow. It is down as WEAN, sort of depends on the wind limits for towing a 777 I’d say, but it’s certainly a contributory factor for sure.

Originally Posted by aks120
I am on the return JFK-LHR on this aircraft - I have noticed that it left one C gate and just taxied to another C gate and is not waiting there it seems. Looks like it will be a long night!

aks120
Yes as explained above it is down as weather as limits are limits. EDIT - got my wires crossed over 183/113 so your aircraft as your flight crew explained - winds out of limits for some equipment to be used. Same issue for the engineering work needed on the aircraft for BA183.

Originally Posted by VorelNaCestach
I guess BA704/705 was also cancelled due to weather.
TECY cancellation actually due to a slats issue.
salut0, IMH, aks120 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Sigwx; Jan 2, 2024 at 11:53 am
Old Jan 2, 2024, 12:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There's quite significant disruption in LHR at the moment.
- the airbridges were put out of service for a while since the wind level was over spec. They are back in service now.
- Gale warning was in place to 18:00 GMT and strong winds expected until 23:00 hrs
- LHR is going to operate tonight until 01:00 hrs, maybe a bit over.
- HEX has suffered power failure, though services are now running with delays and cancellations
- Arrival regulation was 33/60 to 18:00 and is currently 35 per 60 minutes until 23:00 hrs. That's on the tough side in terms of operational impact
- BA on time departure is 58% (compared to 83% yesterday), on time arrival is 42% (compared to 87% yesterday).

Further WEAN cancellations:

BA1420 BHD = WEAN
BA183 JFK = WEAN
but
BA704 VIE = TECY

Wider discussion here too:
Disruption at LHR this evening (2 Jan)
aks120, DaveS and Sigwx like this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 12:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Sigwx

TECY cancellation actually due to a slats issue.
Was that the one which landed without slats a few days ago?
Old Jan 2, 2024, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Duck1981
Was that the one which landed without slats a few days ago?
No, I think that was a 319 instead, and it’s slats were working but it was simply flapless, no great drama. Can’t win with those Airbus things 😉
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
B296 ORD-LHR departure 1 Jan. arrived 1:30 late this morning (2 Jan) resulting in a missed connection and final delay of six hours. Pilot said they had problems with fueling. Can anyone find the code for the original delay?
What is the duty of care requirement? My son got a £10 voucher for a six hour delay; can he ask for more or should he just save receipts for the second meal?
Anyone happen to know if this was the same aircraft that took a seven hour delay for fuel system problems on December 10 as BA295 LHR.ORD?
ETA: ignore this, I don't think 296 was a 380.

Last edited by MADPhil; Jan 2, 2024 at 1:01 pm
Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:24 am

Programs: British Airways Silver Virgin Atlantic, Hilton Hotels Gold
Can someone please provide me with the reason for the 5 hour delay to the BA255 from LHR to BGI yesterday 2nd January - thank you
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by IMH
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Livliv88.

If you look at last year's thread you will see that there were quite a few weather and ATC related delays on 8 and 9 December. Your flight appears to have departed pretty much on time and to have reached LHR around 40 minutes late, unless I've made a mistake looking it up. So for you to have missed your connection it must have been quite tight (and you were unlucky that your onward flight wasn't also delayed a little).

Thank you. Our original connection was 1h 20m after scheduled arrival (well within the 60m minimum). I'm trying to get the specific code for the flight delay if possible before I give in to BA. BA0028 dep HK 8 Dec 23:40

Last edited by Livliv88; Jan 3, 2024 at 5:29 am Reason: Posted before complete
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Wednesday 3 January 2024

Today's cancellations

BA007 HND
BA195 IAH
BA1486 GLA
BA574 LIN
BA996 CGN
BA466 MAD

None of the above appear to be weather or airport restrictions. A 788 non passenger trip to TEV in Spain has also been cancelled.

Regulation in place, currently 42/60, and tightening to 40 arrivals per 60 minutes from 13:00 to 21:00 hrs. ATC report for this morning:

Landing RWY: 27R
Airborne holding (mins): 6
Departure RWY: 27L
TSAT delay average (mins): 0

EGLLTC Reg: 40/60 0640-2100z due strong winds and forecast CBs. Average delays to EGLL arrivals 10-15mins.
Network: 53 regulations across Europe for first rotations. Airfield regs for EDDF, EHAM, LSZH and LEMD. Enroute regs for Langen, Madrid, Sevilla and Bordeaux ACCs. Average delays to EGLL departures 15-20mins.

Weather: Westerly Ops all day. Risk of showers 1100-1700z 9heavy at times) with a Medium risk of CBs in the LTMA (High in the Far South) 0900-1700z.
DaveS likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:05 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Wednesday 3 January 2024

Today's cancellations

BA007 HND
BA195 IAH
BA1486 GLA
BA574 LIN
BA996 CGN
BA466 MAD

None of the above appear to be weather or airport restrictions. A 788 non passenger trip to TEV in Spain has also been cancelled.

Regulation in place, currently 42/60, and tightening to 40 arrivals per 60 minutes from 13:00 to 21:00 hrs. ATC report for this morning:

Landing RWY: 27R
Airborne holding (mins): 6
Departure RWY: 27L
TSAT delay average (mins): 0

EGLLTC Reg: 40/60 0640-2100z due strong winds and forecast CBs. Average delays to EGLL arrivals 10-15mins.
Network: 53 regulations across Europe for first rotations. Airfield regs for EDDF, EHAM, LSZH and LEMD. Enroute regs for Langen, Madrid, Sevilla and Bordeaux ACCs. Average delays to EGLL departures 15-20mins.

Weather: Westerly Ops all day. Risk of showers 1100-1700z 9heavy at times) with a Medium risk of CBs in the LTMA (High in the Far South) 0900-1700z.
Can well imagine that the HND cancellation is due to the unfortunate events of yesterday. The longest runway (where the incident occurred) is still out of use so it's possible that the aircraft could land but not take off again (esp. considering the longer return journey due to the jetstream).
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:20 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Our original connection was 1h 20m after scheduled arrival [...]. I'm trying to get the specific code for the flight delay if possible before I give in to BA. BA0028 dep HK 8 Dec 23:40
I can't help with a "code" for the 42 minute delay to your HKG-LHR flight and am not sure that -- four weeks on -- anyone will be able to help in that regard more than Sigwx already has:
Originally Posted by Sigwx
There were significant headwinds along the entire route which have slowed the progress of the aircraft down over the ground, that and the weather in and around London are the reasons and thus not in scope on initial reading and research.
What might be more relevant (and take this back to the compensation thread) is BA's potential duty of care. Assuming your flights were booked on a single ticket, you should not have been left on your own with the costs of food, drink and accommodation during the long delay at LHR. What flight did you miss and what flight were you put on instead?
Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:29 pm

BA007 HND HDLN
BA195 IAH TECY
BA1486 GLA TECY
BA574 LIN DAMN (yet G-TTNA operated to TLS and ARN)
BA996 CGN DAMN (yet G-EUYI operated to LUX and two DUS rotations)
BA466 MAD TECY

Both the DAMNs are worth progressing via CEDR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.