Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nufnuf77
Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2023 Tier Point thread (found here). We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below.

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares

Advanced Promotion Fares

See here in post 12 for an 2024 archive of sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

From North, Central and South America

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia

CAI-LHR-HEL-JFK-LAX-SFO return for 1800gbp earning 960 Tps

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. Some information on how to use ITA matrix is in post XX of this thread (or just click here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest along with UK domestic returns. Additionally you may find that trips in to mainland Europe require a one night stay whereas the cheapest domestic CE returns do not have any minimum stay so can be booked as a same day return. If doing a back to back AMS and JER can be easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround - more information can be found in the back to back thread listed in the forum dashboard. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). UK domestic route, Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seem the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the post XXX of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2024 master thread

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2024, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Dimond Amb
Originally Posted by Lefly
As said by etiene, theprice to TPs ratio is awful in economy. You have to spend a lot of time in the air and around the world to get 600 TPs flying in Y, and I think in the end the amount spent is higher than a well constructed TP run in J.

I once hit gold from Y only flights, I can from experience tell you that its absolutely not worth it regardless of the financial cost.
etiene likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 4:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Jonathan2712
I once hit gold from Y only flights, I can from experience tell you that its absolutely not worth it regardless of the financial cost.
It can be done in "only" 22 Y, B or H longhaul sectors - for those flying OPM who should really consider telling the OP where to stick their M. It's 75 in cheapest economy.

Just no.
Old May 8, 2024, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
The HEL-LIS are much more reasonably timed and I think not massively different in cost?
Indeed, the air fare may not be hugely different (perhaps €200-300 more going to LIS) but when I looked, the main issue was that the flight timings forced an overnight in OSL and/or HEL. eg to do the outbound in one day the only start time in OSL is 0835 (arr AGP 1540) but that probably means overnighting in Oslo. And the return from LIS at 1635 dumps you at HEL at 2315 with the next flight the next day.

Of course, if you are doing just HEL - XXX - HEL then none of the above applies but I found the extra leg was always cheaper (and more TPs!!)
Lefly likes this.

Last edited by SavvyTravel; May 8, 2024 at 4:36 am
Old May 8, 2024, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by etiene
Cheapest economy can give as little as 20 TP for a longhaul sector. People round here won't get out of bed for that kind of return because it really doesn't put any kind of dent in BAEC status requirements. For better or worse, BAEC is fairly heavily skewed towards travel in Premium Economy or higher.
As said by etiene, theprice to TPs ratio is awful in economy. You have to spend a lot of time in the air and around the world to get 600 TPs flying in Y, and I think in the end the amount spent is higher than a well constructed TP run in J.
I didn't know that. Ok I will stick to the examples above, just to look for better rate of business class tickets.
tmac100 likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
I’ve just done the OSL-AGP with 23 hours in AGP ….
Forgive my ignorance but I am new to TP runs and even about holding status. I need 480 points before 8th Oct to get my first ever status (silver). Being based in Essex, would something like the above run be most cost effective to get it if I fly from LHR-OSL then do that OSL-AGP run? How do I go about booking that? BA for the first part then Finnair for the second or can it be done together somehow? Also, is OSL-AGP just business class in name only or actually a proper business class experience? I see ARN-AGP is similarly priced. Which is better in terms of timing? Sorry to be such a newb.
Old May 8, 2024, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by NinjaFlyer88
Forgive my ignorance but I am new to TP runs and even about holding status. I need 480 points before 8th Oct to get my first ever status (silver). Being based in Essex, would something like the above run be most cost effective to get it if I fly from LHR-OSL then do that OSL-AGP run? How do I go about booking that? BA for the first part then Finnair for the second or can it be done together somehow? Also, is OSL-AGP just business class in name only or actually a proper business class experience? I see ARN-AGP is similarly priced. Which is better in terms of timing? Sorry to be such a newb.
I’m sure others will give you more context and understanding of TP runs (and the first question should be .. is this worth it?).

Focusing on this specific route:
HEL AGP is 140 TPs (as is HEL LIS) as both are over 2000 miles (the only ones in Europe)
It’s a Finnair flight in Euro business ☹️
It’s a Finnair light business fare which means no lounge, no advance seats (unless you have status) etc
When you add feeder flights (eg from/to OSL, CPH or ARN, the flight cost can be lower than just HEL-AGP; and even it is a little more you are getting 80 extra TPs.

All in you’re getting 360 TPs (40+140+140+40) for somewhere around £520-£600.

You’ll buy it direct from Finnair after doing hours of research on Google flights (which will allow you to see the flight times).

Once you are happy, you’ll buy a separate ticket (be careful*) to wrap around those flights. If you are staring from LHR then again you’ll buy a Finnair light return LHR to OSL (or ARN or CPH) which will go via HEL. Costs ~ £600 and that will be 240 TPs (HEL LHR is 80 TPs). If you don’t need TPs then either fly direct with BA or on an LCC to save money and time.

So all in ~£1.1k for 600 TPs. But this won’t have got you BA Silver unless you’ve done the 4 qualifying flights.

The big plus for me was that I left LHR on a Wednesday at 1030 (A350 AY flight, nice) and got back to LHR at 1600 on the Friday having had 24 hours in lovely Malaga.

That said, be very careful and spend time on Google flights because some flight combinations result in overnight layovers in expensive locations.

* read up on B2B flights to reduce your risk when connecting and delays.
Lefly and flarmip like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 2:01 pm

Thank you SavvyTravel, that was very insightful. I currently have 120 TP from 4 BA flights so only need a further 480 to hit Silver. So from what you have said about LHR-(OSL/CPH/ARN) gives 240 TPs, I could simply do 2 of those to get my 480 instead of the OSL-AGP run. That would probably work best for me as I won't have to wrangle with a separate "wrap-around" flight to position in OSL for it. So you stated, the business flights are a more simpler offering but you said the A350 AY flight was nice. Does that mean it is better than the other flights which I see are the A319, A320 and Embracer 190? Am i understanding correctly that even though these are business class flights, you do not get lounge access at any of the airports the flights use? Thanks again
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by NinjaFlyer88
Thank you SavvyTravel, that was very insightful. I currently have 120 TP from 4 BA flights so only need a further 480 to hit Silver. So from what you have said about LHR-(OSL/CPH/ARN) gives 240 TPs, I could simply do 2 of those to get my 480 instead of the OSL-AGP run. That would probably work best for me as I won't have to wrangle with a separate "wrap-around" flight to position in OSL for it. So you stated, the business flights are a more simpler offering but you said the A350 AY flight was nice. Does that mean it is better than the other flights which I see are the A319, A320 and Embracer 190? Am i understanding correctly that even though these are business class flights, you do not get lounge access at any of the airports the flights use? Thanks again
Of course you can! Sounds sensible to me.

The AY A350 is a proper business class plane. Big seat (some people don’t like it), entertainment and a feeling of space. Significantly better than any of the narrow bodied planes - of which the E190 is IMHO the best option if you have a choice. But frankly all these are all busses on a 90 minute hop.

if you choose wisely you’ll also get to see lovely cities too. But what am saying? Set up a TP run to actually enjoy your destination?; and at a price that is north of £2/TP? Heresy 😀
DaveS likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Of course you can! Sounds sensible to me.

The AY A350 is a proper business class plane. Big seat (some people don’t like it), entertainment and a feeling of space. Significantly better than any of the narrow bodied planes - of which the E190 is IMHO the best option if you have a choice. But frankly all these are all busses on a 90 minute hop.

if you choose wisely you’ll also get to see lovely cities too. But what am saying? Set up a TP run to actually enjoy your destination?; and at a price that is north of £2/TP? Heresy 😀
It's actually very hard to reasonably assess Tier Point Runs as a lot depends on people's personal preferences. If someone loves airports and saving money is essential then flitting around Europe multiple times can be ideal. If someone loves visiting new cities then probably the BA Holiday offer with some European destinations make senses. If they have any reason whatsoever to go from the UK to the US then an ex-EU tier point run or an expensive BA holiday to the US can make sense. If they really love Asia then the Abu Dhabi-Colombo-Jakarta run can make sense. So many choices!
Old May 8, 2024, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
?.

The AY A350 is a proper business class plane. Big seat (some people don’t like it), entertainment and a feeling of space. ...
Cherry picking here.
This comment makes me feel better about my tight connection at LHR on June 5th to board the BA093 to YYZ in Bus class on an A350.
I used to LOVE that aircraft (even in economy) on my DOH-DXB week end flights with Qatar Air before their skirmish with the UAE and KSA in the late teens.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 4:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
I totally agree!
With retirement I don't fly as much as I did a few years ago. Thus, business class helps getting the needed TPs to maintain status. A BAH holiday helps too.
Old May 8, 2024, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Originally Posted by tmac100
I totally agree!
With retirement I don't fly as much as I did a few years ago. Thus, business class helps getting the needed TPs to maintain status. A BAH holiday helps too.
The BA frequent flyer scheme is very heavily weighted towards business and first as opposed to other OneWorld schemes (e.g Iberian or Qatar's schemes) - BA has about a 7 times difference while the others are about 3-5 times (as I recall). There is an argument that if you fly BA Economy a lot you might be better on a different OneWorld scheme. Though always an issue with qualifying flights etc.
tmac100 likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 3:49 am

Programs: Executive Club
I've not done a TP run for a long time but fortunately BA kept extending my Gold due to Covid. Sadly, of course, they've stopped doing that and I've dropped to Silver, soon to be Bronze. I was hunting for a new run to get earning again and stumbled across this for £2,490 for what I think is 1080 TPs (£2.31/TP):

I'm sure flight times could be optimised and it's not an absolute steal, but it seems reasonably good value to me. A few more points through positioning to ARN and I'd be well on my way. I would appreciate a sense check if anyone cares to offer one?
Old May 9, 2024, 4:00 am

Programs: BA - Gold, Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Silver
For those that are interested and with thanks to Etiene in particular for the suggestion - I managed to get roughly what I wanted BUD->LHR->JFK->LAX->HNL | LAX->JFK->LHR->BUD for £2173 ...then Avios seats (unfortunately in economy) for £4.50 plus 16500 Avios for the HNL->LAX (which as a TP run is rubbish....as for £2123 - I could spend 2 weeks in Hawaii and get another 140TP! lol!) .... one thing to bear in mind for anyone else that thinks about this - I either had forgotten or just had never realised that economy seats on AA using BA avios tickets book into basic economy... i.e. no luggage ... I doubt my gold/emerald status will get me anything bags wise - so, its $40 for the first bag and $45 for the 2nd PLUS as thats only upto 23kg if any bag is over - its a further what looks to be $100 for anything over 24kg??!!

Originally Posted by etiene
There are other airline options for that hop too, though it is about six hours so might be more than you wish to tolerate in Y. I'd probably accept that in an MCE seat for a day flight [there used to be a couple back from the islands too]. Avios J redemptions might be hard to come by though, and I presume the AS/HA merger won't have gotten far enough to help you out on that front.
Originally Posted by linz36
I would probably stay on the west coast first, and return from Hawaii, that way you get business class on the (invariably) overnight 5h flight from Hawaii too. Seems possible for 2.5k each (edit: now TP optimised routing). The hop LAX-Hawaii might have to be in economy, cash fares are high for that. Try all of OSL, HEL, DUB, PRG, MAD, BCN as starting/finishing destinations.
As much as the west coast first option is a nice idea ... we tend to do a bit of shopping, so our cases are quite heavy - and its probably better to do that shopping on the mainland rather than Hawaii - meaning that, for us, its better to go out to Hawaii first ...which also means less baggage issues on the avios ticket ....though the relaxing part of the holiday 2nd does sound nice!

Thanks to Linz36, Etiene and all others that have helped! :-)
linz36 and etiene like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 4:44 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by sunguy
For those that are interested and with thanks to Etiene in particular for the suggestion - I managed to get roughly what I wanted BUD->LHR->JFK->LAX->HNL | LAX->JFK->LHR->BUD for £2173 ...then Avios seats (unfortunately in economy) for £4.50 plus 16500 Avios for the HNL->LAX (which as a TP run is rubbish....as for £2123 - I could spend 2 weeks in Hawaii and get another 140TP! lol!) .... one thing to bear in mind for anyone else that thinks about this - I either had forgotten or just had never realised that economy seats on AA using BA avios tickets book into basic economy... i.e. no luggage ... I doubt my gold/emerald status will get me anything bags wise - so, its $40 for the first bag and $45 for the 2nd PLUS as thats only upto 23kg if any bag is over - its a further what looks to be $100 for anything over 24kg??!!

As much as the west coast first option is a nice idea ... we tend to do a bit of shopping, so our cases are quite heavy - and its probably better to do that shopping on the mainland rather than Hawaii - meaning that, for us, its better to go out to Hawaii first ...which also means less baggage issues on the avios ticket ....though the relaxing part of the holiday 2nd does sound nice!

Thanks to Linz36, Etiene and all others that have helped! :-)
BA Reward Flights on American Airlines

Are you sure you don’t get MCE/bags etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.