Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T5 First Wing Security 11 week closure [now reopened]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR T5 First Wing Security 11 week closure [now reopened]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2023, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Finland Station
I interpreted that as whether non-CCR accredited pax would be allowed to use the Secret Door™️, to which the answer must be a reassuring "no". 😉
Could we not be given a bell and simply chant “unclean” whilst transiting Nirvana in exchange for the quick access to our impoverished hovel.
Scots_Al, YacozA, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 5:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
only if we allowed to throw rotten tomatoes at those transiting to the GF
Old Dec 16, 2023, 5:34 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
4 months is a ridiculous amount of time unless there are some serious structural works, but even then it seems long.

Surprised they don’t have a computer to scan the bags quicker. surely better than human eyes. can have someone there for general oversight or assign them to checks instead and speed it up

I had heard separately the floor load was an issue but great if not. Still an embarrassment that a prime global airport with the most valuable flight routes hasn’t implemented these a long time ago. It’s not like they can’t afford it. Same goes for JFK T8 to be fair!
ExGGLer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 5:51 am

On the points about the increasing likelihood of secondary screening, I have certainly seen anecdotal evidence that this is the case

I’m told it has a lot to do with:

- which of two generations these new machines are (the very newest ones are better than the ones which are now a couple of years old)

- the age and popularity of the electronic devices in your bag. Both generations of these machines are able to recognise the layout of components in devices from car keys to high end laptops to multi chargers and power packs. These all have to be preloaded and constantly updated but I gather some older and less common devices are not “mapped” in the scanners and that can trigger secondary alerts.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 5:52 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, it's part of the new protocols, but the evidence at LCY is that this component is faster on average than the old protocol with the random scans factored in. The wall only needs a split second (the staff need rather more time), compared to the 15 seconds to use the cylinder scanners.
Only a small % had to go through the Cylinder Scanners though, whereas now it’s every passenger.

Be interested to see the data on how much faster this makes things, if it is genuinely faster then all good - just not convinced myself.
JapesUK likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
But I'm a bit surprised at some of the comments about this, have FTers not seen how it works at other airports? NCL has had well over 3 months on their scanners, though that involves moving the security hall northwards. EDI is going to be more than 3 months. AMS took nearly 6 months. LCY was 2 months but benefits from being continuously closed for 24 hours a week. JER got there machines through in under a month but in winter it's a pretty small operation.
But how long will T5 take in comparison? I mean 3-4 months (depending on the exact dates, and assuming no delay) is not the time it is taking to do the change in 3 times - it is the time one specific area with only 2 lines is out of action. It seems to me that the overall time for T5 is extending to well over a year already, making the 5-6 months at AMS feel like a model of velocity and efficiency in comparison (and any of us used to it, know that AMS is hardly a model of either!)

My sense is that the devil will be in the detail. It is hinted upthread that there may be a reserved lane at south security, but I guess we'll have to see if it materialises, and also if it impacts the other (regular) fast track and non fast track operations, or indeed the connections security operations.

Incidentally, for many of us, that last point will be the one "to check" in coming weeks: it's been typically a lot faster for anyone with eligible passports and F wing access connecting to exit and reenter through F wing. Will it still be faster to exit and reenter through fast track or best stick to the official connection route with all of its limitations now?
Fritz and Jpm81 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Originally Posted by orbitmic
It is hinted upthread that there may be a reserved lane at south security, but I guess we'll have to see if it materialises, and also if it impacts the other (regular) fast track and non fast track operations, or indeed the connections security operations.
Well, my experience of HAL would suggest that as soon as any designated 'fast-track' lane gets quiet, they fill it up with non 'fast-track', thereby depriving it of any element of 'fast'. It is uniquely British.
Markie likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Finland Station
Well, my experience of HAL would suggest that as soon as any designated 'fast-track' lane gets quiet, they fill it up with non 'fast-track', thereby depriving it of any element of 'fast'. It is uniquely British.
They do this regularly at Basel airport too, which is good for me as I'm usually Bronze flying in Y. As long as they stop non-fast-track people from joining the queue once fast-track passengers arrive then it's an efficient use of space and people.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Maybe they're adding a maze to get to the CCR directly from the FW.
EuropeanPete and HFHFFlyer like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by KARFA
only if we allowed to throw rotten tomatoes at those transiting to the GF
is that a comment on the quality of the CCR food?
Nick_USA, alex67500, KARFA and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
It does seem ridiculous that a swap to the new scanners would take 4 months. They must be doing something else. They swapped to the new machines at 4 different checkpoints in AUS in a couple of weeks with minimal to no downtime at any checkpoint. The real problem is how these new machines gum up the screening process.
Markie likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Originally Posted by Stripe
The real problem is how these new machines gum up the screening process.
I think we can put our faith in HAL to ensure that it all works swimmingly.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 8:43 am

Programs: MUCCI
I just wonder if they are going to be doing a bit of a redesign as there are mutterings of making the Gold First lounge bigger and there is a lot of wasted space around the First check in area.....
FD.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Stripe
It does seem ridiculous that a swap to the new scanners would take 4 months. They must be doing something else. They swapped to the new machines at 4 different checkpoints in AUS in a couple of weeks with minimal to no downtime at any checkpoint. The real problem is how these new machines gum up the screening process.
I can confirm they're just swapping machines and cabling.

This is HAL, I've seen with my own two eyeballs a quote to install a new lift: two years.

Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
I just wonder if they are going to be doing a bit of a redesign as there are mutterings of making the Gold First lounge bigger and there is a lot of wasted space around the First check in area.....
FD.
Different tenants; one - the machines etc - is a project owned and led by HAL. Lounges are leased by BA from HAL, and any works would be done (well, contracted by) BA.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC
I can imagine this must be devastating to read for any First or qualifying passengers!! I imagine it will be similar reactions when they close lounges for refurbs!

However how about the rest of the T5 security machines for the mere minion's? Is this just one part of the overhaul?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.