Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T5 First Wing Security 11 week closure [now reopened]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR T5 First Wing Security 11 week closure [now reopened]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2023, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
The Secret Door™️ swings back into action.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by T8191
Damn ... flying in February! And I agree with others here - the new machines are a PITA, with so many bags going to to Secondary. Progress? Perhaps not!
I had previously had one secondary in four years of travelling through JER about twice a month. Since the new machines came online I've had a secondary on four out of the five occasions I've been through. I need to travel through this afternoon with multiple laptops so I can choose between getting shouted at to leave them in my bag, or going to secondary...
jmd, EuropeanPete and HFHFFlyer like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
Originally Posted by Finland Station
The Secret Door™️ swings back into action.
I assume this is the question/concept corporate-wage-slave so coyly alluded to upthread and was told answer no?
Old Dec 16, 2023, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I guess it does seem a bit gold plated, as perhaps one would expect from HAL, so I've no doubt that it could be done faster. But I'm a bit surprised at some of the comments about this, have FTers not seen how it works at other airports? NCL has had well over 3 months on their scanners, though that involves moving the security hall northwards. EDI is going to be more than 3 months. AMS took nearly 6 months. LCY was 2 months but benefits from being continuously closed for 24 hours a week. JER got there machines through in under a month but in winter it's a pretty small operation. So I suspect a 1 month plus closure was inevitable and it may as well happen when travel is reqlatively quiet. I doubt First Wing users will be greatly delayed, though no-one has asked the obvious question yet....... (and the answer I'm told is no).
For LHR we're talking years.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 3:37 am
formerly JackDann

Massive shame for me personally - My Gold status will expire in March and I was looking forward to taking my family through TFW for the first time when meeting them for a flight we have in Feb.

The First Wing security is the only benefit of Gold that i’ll miss - and frustrating now that I can’t use it for one last time. If there is no easy route to GF lounge then i’ll probably just swerve it and head to T5B.

Provided that there is a dedicated security channel at Fastrack and you don’t have to do a lap of T5 to get to the GF lounge then it’s a far lesser problem!

Last edited by JD1905; Dec 16, 2023 at 3:46 am
Old Dec 16, 2023, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by NoTiersForMe
I assume this is the question/concept corporate-wage-slave so coyly alluded to upthread and was told answer no?
oh I thought the question CWS answered was…. Would there be any Avios “compensation” available. And you know some folk will attempt to claim it.
wrp96, steveholt and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 3:45 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
My experiences using them in Europe and the US I've found them to be much slower and also noticed how long the person viewing the images was taking on each bag.

Also it seems your bag will be pulled for secondary screening if you have any liquids over 100ml, or if you have multiple large electronic devices (eg laptop + iPad) placed together in your bag. So I'd rather just take them out and send through separately, but the staff are very insistent you cannot do this and must have everything stay inside the bag.
I regularly travel with multiple laptops and using the few new machines at Security South I have never been sent to secondary screening.
justin_krusty likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 4:07 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Always travel with the same bag and kit for work (multiple devices, chargers, wires etc), and never been pulled for secondary in Europe, whereas it does sometimes in UK. I feel like it’s the risk level operators have been trained to that affects this more than the actual machines. AMS in particular (now they are fully staffed again) is incredibly quick and efficient.
flygirl68 and InFF like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I guess it does seem a bit gold plated, as perhaps one would expect from HAL, so I've no doubt that it could be done faster. But I'm a bit surprised at some of the comments about this, have FTers not seen how it works at other airports? NCL has had well over 3 months on their scanners, though that involves moving the security hall northwards. EDI is going to be more than 3 months. AMS took nearly 6 months. LCY was 2 months but benefits from being continuously closed for 24 hours a week. JER got there machines through in under a month but in winter it's a pretty small operation. So I suspect a 1 month plus closure was inevitable and it may as well happen when travel is reqlatively quiet. I doubt First Wing users will be greatly delayed, though no-one has asked the obvious question yet....... (and the answer I'm told is no).
My experience with the new machines throughout the world has been OK including with multiple electronics and liquids not requiring a secondary. I've only had one secondary and it was cleared quickly with the agent simply scanning the tray's barcode and zooming into something on the screen and clearing the issue - less than 30 seconds (noting that there were not any secondary bags ahead of mine). I think the technology will be timesaving and allow me to carry my filled water bottle through.

I've also noticed thar the technology isn't just something that is 'rolled in'. The existing components are positively attached to the floor and have to be removed. The new components have quite a different footprint. I surmise that some electrical work and IT work will also be required. And finally, I'd think the surrounding area would be spruced up some.

DUB T1 regular security (not fast track), line #1-4 (to the far left) just had this technology installed and the staff is still training. There was a small sign indicating as such and if the passenger didn't want to participate, the passenger could back out of line and go to a line with the existing technology. I thought the line was quite efficient.
Arsey00 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 4:18 am
formerly JackDann

Do the new CT scanners not also now require every person to be body scanned?

That has been my experience, and it has taken longer than the old way.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Do these machines actually improve things? My experience in Amsterdam was quite a high number of pax selected for secondary. Could imagine - at the beginning at least - there will be some teething issues.
My feelings too that the larger amount of data they present (viewing on all angles, rather than just 'the top') means the staff seem to take longer to process bags.

Somewhat related - I did notice in Doha/Qatar that the new 'C gates' transfer area seems to have outsourced the scanning?
I could not see staff at the scanner terminals and I assume it's all done remotely in some room rather than someone sat by the scanning machine.
Felt like a large number of bags were selected for secondary search. (Which took ages, hence the time to look at the workflow, then I noticed no staff for scanning!)
Interesting they also make you scan your boarding pass before they issue the tray - I assume this ties your ID, your tray and any CCTV/scan results together in some database.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 5:01 am

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Flight Club
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
Always travel with the same bag and kit for work (multiple devices, chargers, wires etc), and never been pulled for secondary in Europe, whereas it does sometimes in UK. I feel like it’s the risk level operators have been trained to that affects this more than the actual machines. AMS in particular (now they are fully staffed again) is incredibly quick and efficient.

Agree entirely about AMS running well.

Although they do seem to have a “thing” about lots of coins for reasons I don’t fully understand 😐

Last edited by Fritz; Dec 16, 2023 at 5:01 am Reason: Typo
Old Dec 16, 2023, 5:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JD1905
Do the new CT scanners not also now require every person to be body scanned?

That has been my experience, and it has taken longer than the old way.
Yes, it's part of the new protocols, but the evidence at LCY is that this component is faster on average than the old protocol with the random scans factored in. The wall only needs a split second (the staff need rather more time), compared to the 15 seconds to use the cylinder scanners.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Originally Posted by NoTiersForMe
I interpreted that as whether non-CCR accredited pax would be allowed to use the Secret Door™️, to which the answer must be a reassuring "no". 😉
Old Dec 16, 2023, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Bugger. Bang in the middle of the 18M for which my GF and I have managed to scrape Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.