Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T5 First Wing Security 11 week closure [now reopened]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR T5 First Wing Security 11 week closure [now reopened]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2023, 11:55 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I can only assume the replacement for the massively in your face advertising in the corridor is now going to be IMPRESSIVE. Perhaps there is a new generative AI system where KPMG can audit you automatically as you walk by.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Genius1
First check-in will remain open. For the 3-month closure, you then use South Fast Track, just like you did before the First Wing opened in 2017. I understand that First Wing eligible passengers will have a dedicated lane at South Fast Track.

There is no floor strengthening required in T5A to my knowledge, but there are additional works in First Wing beyond just the new x-ray machines. The entire lanes and other security equipment are being replaced.
No need to strengthen the floor indeed. This is just HAL's incompetence at best. The cost for putting in those wretched machines, and the overall impact to the operation, is just beyond ridiculous. In their first proposal to the AOC they were asking for a double-digit reduction in flying due to these works all across the campus. It's worth noting that Gatwick implemented those machines (and Standard 3 machines below the wing) at a fraction of the cost and with little if any impact to customer. So did most airports in Europe and Asia for that matter.

Britain's main hub... not so much.
jmj9905, MaxFlyer, YacozA and 7 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 1:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I can only assume the replacement for the massively in your face advertising in the corridor is now going to be IMPRESSIVE. Perhaps there is a new generative AI system where KPMG can audit you automatically as you walk by.
I seem to recall that there is a significant amount of unused space behind the left hand (as you approach the lounge) wall of the corridor and that there have previously been discussions about using it to increase the floor space of GF. Maybe they are finally doing that…..
Arsey00 and TedToToe like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I seem to recall that there is a significant amount of unused space behind the left hand (as you approach the lounge) wall of the corridor and that there have previously been discussions about using it to increase the floor space of GF. Maybe they are finally doing that…..
Now that is interesting, if true!
Old Dec 16, 2023, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Cheapskate22
I hear Virgin have a pretty nice lounge in T3…they even have QR codes that allow you to order food directly to your seat…
All well and good until the Virgin Upper Class Wing gets its new lane

The new lanes opened in T3 Fast Track (an entirely new space) on Thursday. The changes in T3 (and to a slightly lesser extent T4) are much more dramatic than T2 and most of T5, given space changes.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 1:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 13901
No need to strengthen the floor indeed. This is just HAL's incompetence at best. The cost for putting in those wretched machines, and the overall impact to the operation, is just beyond ridiculous. In their first proposal to the AOC they were asking for a double-digit reduction in flying due to these works all across the campus. It's worth noting that Gatwick implemented those machines (and Standard 3 machines below the wing) at a fraction of the cost and with little if any impact to customer. So did most airports in Europe and Asia for that matter.

Britain's main hub... not so much.
I guess it does seem a bit gold plated, as perhaps one would expect from HAL, so I've no doubt that it could be done faster. But I'm a bit surprised at some of the comments about this, have FTers not seen how it works at other airports? NCL has had well over 3 months on their scanners, though that involves moving the security hall northwards. EDI is going to be more than 3 months. AMS took nearly 6 months. LCY was 2 months but benefits from being continuously closed for 24 hours a week. JER got there machines through in under a month but in winter it's a pretty small operation. So I suspect a 1 month plus closure was inevitable and it may as well happen when travel is reqlatively quiet. I doubt First Wing users will be greatly delayed, though no-one has asked the obvious question yet....... (and the answer I'm told is no).
Old Dec 16, 2023, 2:03 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by BJ787
Hasn't it been suggested before that the floor in T5 isn't strong enough to support the new machines (5t each)? Maybe there's more in depth structural work required as opposed to just wheeling them in.
Surely this would affect the arrival floor more and what's it going to be like when they need to upgrade the regular security machines?!
Old Dec 16, 2023, 2:06 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Rename South Security as Zone R security, and I'll be content.

M
alexwuk, Swanhunter, awm and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by japesuk
with the hoi polloi. Hopefully the defibrillators have been tested as some may not be able to take the strain!
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Old Dec 16, 2023, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Rename South Security as Zone R security, and I'll be content.

M
Happy Memories!
Genius1 and msm2000uk like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Do these machines actually improve things? My experience in Amsterdam was quite a high number of pax selected for secondary. Could imagine - at the beginning at least - there will be some teething issues.

Is there also a new max limit for liquids? Not sure how helpful that will be though given on my return flight I‘ll be most likely still subject to the 100ml limit.
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 2:34 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Do these machines actually improve things? My experience in Amsterdam was quite a high number of pax selected for secondary. Could imagine - at the beginning at least - there will be some teething issues.
My experiences using them in Europe and the US I've found them to be much slower and also noticed how long the person viewing the images was taking on each bag.

Also it seems your bag will be pulled for secondary screening if you have any liquids over 100ml, or if you have multiple large electronic devices (eg laptop + iPad) placed together in your bag. So I'd rather just take them out and send through separately, but the staff are very insistent you cannot do this and must have everything stay inside the bag.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Duck1981

Is there also a new max limit for liquids? Not sure how helpful that will be though given on my return flight I‘ll be most likely still subject to the 100ml limit.
everywhere I’ve used them (AMS, SYD, LCY) they’ve been great as the message to novice travellers is simple - leave everything in your bag and clear your pockets. You obviously don’t have to worry about the liquid faff also.

Although (apparently) most using TFW are regular travellers - some approach airport security as if they’ve never been to an airport - certainly when I’ve been through there.

Three months closure is small hardship compared to the benefits the scanners bring imo.

but yes, until worldwide is done, then the liquid rules apply upon return.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Damn ... flying in February! And I agree with others here - the new machines are a PITA, with so many bags going to to Secondary. Progress? Perhaps not!
Never Stansted likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 3:10 am

Are you an expert in installing hi tech security machines then?
Genius1, Tredders and sayling like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.