Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gifting Avios

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2023, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Gifting Avios

Appreciate this may seem uncool but im only asking. Ive received an email saying i can gift Avios and if i do so they will get an extra 40%

So lets say i gift my sister 100k which means she gets 140k.

Can her partner then gift me 100k from his account giving me 140k even if he has a family account with my sister ?

And is it possible to gift to people at your same address as im looking at the rules and cant see any mention of not being able to do this between family members ?
Old Dec 12, 2023, 11:26 pm

You can do all of that, but I don’t think you want to.

Gifting is where you buy Avios for someone else. That comes with the 40% bonus.

You’re thinking of “Transfer”, where you send them up to 60,000 of your own Avios, for a £50 fee (or free for Golds). That doesn’t have the 40% bonus.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Corpt
You can do all of that, but I don’t think you want to.

Gifting is where you buy Avios for someone else. That comes with the 40% bonus.

You’re thinking of “Transfer”, where you send them up to 60,000 of your own Avios, for a £50 fee (or free for Golds). That doesn’t have the 40% bonus.
AHA !!!

LOL

You are right. DoH !!
Old Dec 13, 2023, 1:09 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
So effectively you are getting an extra 40% Avios for the same purchase price. Yes? If so, is it good value compared to say using the booster function?
Old Dec 13, 2023, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by BA or bust
So effectively you are getting an extra 40% Avios for the same purchase price. Yes? If so, is it good value compared to say using the booster function?
A couple of random figures...say you needed an extra 84k avios. With the 40% bonus that is going to cost £1,075.
If you had 28k available to boost (remembering that it is only the previous month's earnings that you can boost), you could boost x 3 @ 0.0092p at a cost of £772. cheaper to boost, but if you don't have that many available to boost, then obviously not an option. If you don't need them immediately, spread it over a few months of earning.
I stand to be corrected on my calculations, if I have something wrong.
There is a thread somewhere devoted to Balance Boost
BA or bust likes this.

Last edited by blurt91; Dec 13, 2023 at 2:00 am Reason: New ingo
Old Dec 13, 2023, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by dolfinco
AHA !!!

LOL

You are right. DoH !!

I like your style though!!!
Imagine a world where you would get 40% bonus for transferring Avios between household accounts? How many times would we all be exploiting that trick before our accounts were closed down for an audit review? 🤣
blurt91 and imkevinmc like this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
I like your style though!!!
Imagine a world where you would get 40% bonus for transferring Avios between household accounts? How many times would we all be exploiting that trick before our accounts were closed down for an audit review? 🤣
It does pose the question in my twisted mind of how much you could earn from one flight or purchase for example. Pay for your flight with an avios earning credit card, earn the avios for the flight, boost the avios with the same credit card and keep boosting the subsequent credit card earnings...obviously the amount would diminish on each transaction. Need a mathematician to do the sums.
BA or bust and 1Aturnleft like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.