Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Two Factor Authentication (2FA) added to Executive Club login

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two Factor Authentication (2FA) added to Executive Club login

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Thanks, I do not have an Ipad, I have tried on Andriod and on windows. I too have authenticator apps for other sites I use
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:13 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
The good thing about broken IT is an equal playing field with bad guys trying to use my account..neither of us can.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 7:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
as you memtioned it will probably work as the country codes are the same. They will be storing +1 rather then US and then doing lookup of what to display based on the +1 and finding canada first

I get the sms to my polish number no problem

You can use email rather than sms

My limited testing, the 2fa works for me.
Good to know, but I'm in no hurry to implement this unless forced. I'll let folks like you blaze the trail and be the beta testers then at some point I'll take a look at it.

Regards
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:08 am

Two Factor Authentication soon becoming mandatory?

Just received the following email from BA:

Dear Customer,

At British Airways, we're committed to ensuring your data is secure.

We wanted to let you know that we're adding an extra step when you log in to your Executive Club account on ba.com, similar to other services such as online banking. It's also coming soon to our app on mobile devices. This extra layer of security helps protect your account with a choice of quick and easy extra methods to verify your identity, as well as your username and password.

You'll shortly be required to set this up when you log in on ba.com. It's essential that your email address and mobile telephone number in your profile are up to date now. Please take a few moments to log in and check these details are correct. You can review and update your personal information in the Manage My Account section. If your details aren't up to date, you might be unable to log in to your account later on.

For more information, assistance or to view our Privacy Policy, please visit ba.com.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Warm regards,

Your Executive Club Team

Last edited by squawk; Feb 15, 2024 at 6:09 am Reason: Formatting
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:16 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by squawk
Just received the following email from BA:
Saw this and thought I would double check my account just in case… BUT… I can’t log in because BA’s website is on a go slow (or rather no go) again today!
adrianlondon and LSunbury like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 7:13 am

The links in the email don't take you directly to the correct place.

Attempting to edit some of my personal details results in an "Error: something went wrong" message. Even just clicking to edit and then "save" without changing anything results in that error. Laughable.
LSunbury likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 7:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Lets hope this works well, 2FA is certainly the right way to go. But my heart sank when I read the email as my expectations of any BA customer-facing IT working well is so low.

I logged in to try to check my phone numbers as advised and tried to delete my now non-existent 'home' phone number. That did not stick - then I got the 'multiple tabs in use' error message. Sigh.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
So, what's their recovery method when your device with the code-generating app breaks? Do they let you register multiple devices, perhaps? Or choose multiple 2FA methods?

This is usually the weakness of large corporations that say "use 2FA" and a major reason why I don't use it on some of them (particularly Facebook, who are notoriously hard to contact if you get locked out of your account). Is BA showing any signs of considering this?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:46 am

Programs: BA
Tried logging in, figuring that others doing this in the thread here must mean the website is running again after the last few weeks offline. Still can’t reach it, just says it’s experiencing high demand.

How are people reaching the site? I get the ‘high demand’ message at work, at home, and on mobile. And regardless of whether it’s daytime UK or if I have tried a few times at 4am or 5am. I don’t think it’s just me as the call centre keep saying it’s down for everyone when I’ve rung in to do tasks.

Not directly related to 2FA I guess, just interested how people are able to see / try this function - is there some workaround or way of reaching the site, other than going in a browser to ba.com ?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:55 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Is there a way to opt out of this 2FA with BA? I only have one mobile phone and my bt e-mail account registered with BA has also recently gone onto 2FA to access.

At the moment, if my phone is lost / stolen / breaks etc than at least I could go to any web-enabled PC and still get into my e-mail and ba.com to change a booking et....... just by using my username and password for both. But with 2FA, I would be well and truly stuffed (particularly overseas) as I could no longer access ba.com without my phone and not even my e-mail account registered with ba either as this needs the same phone for 2FA

Do the bods ever think of this?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:07 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
I just hope they aren't forcing to use SMS codes, or I may need to upgrade the roaming on my phone plan...

Perhaps they'll have easy workaround options for people logging in from abroad (although that partially defeats the purpose of 2FA if you can easily bypass it).
BOH likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by LSunbury
Lets hope this works well, 2FA is certainly the right way to go. But my heart sank when I read the email as my expectations of any BA customer-facing IT working well is so low.

I logged in to try to check my phone numbers as advised and tried to delete my now non-existent 'home' phone number. That did not stick - then I got the 'multiple tabs in use' error message. Sigh.
That is precisely what I logged in for. I didn't use the link in the email in case it was a phishing scam, so I logged in as normal. I deleted the landline but for some reason it refused to stick. So I entered my mobile number in both the Mobile and Home fields and that worked.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I hope BA gets it right, especially for those of us with non-UK memberships.

Certainly my US-based financial institutions give me multiple ways to complete 2FA - it's usually either SMS, or a phone call, or an e-mail. More recently it's also push notifications to their app which will authenticate web browser access. However, when my UK bank moved to OTP for their website it only worked with UK and Spanish mobile numbers even though, in my case, you could specify a US number. Then, after it worked flawlessly for ages, it broke and would show one of my old UK numbers for OTP when trying to pay with my card, while OTP for website logins still showed my US number. No SMS was received and so I couldn't pay with my debit card nor could I log into my bank's website. The bank acknowledged the issue but couldn't say when it would be fixed. Then it just randomly started working again. Other challenges have been not getting the SMS codes when travelling abroad and having to rely on e-mail instead.

It is actually really frustrating that so many companies still don't support the E.164 number format or, even, numbers outside their own country. For example, Arrow Cars at NCL airport allow you to make a web booking using a non-UK phone number but the kiosks at the airport only take a UK number so you need to either have one of the staff pull up the booking to summon the car, or you need to go inside to the desk. It's one of the reasons I have a Vodafone PAYG number as I simply cannot rely on UK merchants supporting foreign mobile numbers.
LondonAussie likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 4:53 pm

sms/email 2FA codes are already old fashioned and (relatively) easy for someone to intercept.

A 2FA code generated on a mobile app offline (I use "authy" but they're all pretty much the same) is the way to go at the moment. Or, like some banks, using biometrics (e.g. FaceID) on BA's mobile app to authenticate both within the app and externally.

Not that it matters; it'll just take us longer to get to a website which doesn't work.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:58 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
sms/email 2FA codes are already old fashioned and (relatively) easy for someone to intercept.

A 2FA code generated on a mobile app offline (I use "authy" but they're all pretty much the same) is the way to go at the moment. Or, like some banks, using biometrics (e.g. FaceID) on BA's mobile app to authenticate both within the app and externally.

Not that it matters; it'll just take us longer to get to a website which doesn't work.
Re my earlier question about 5 posts up.....any idea whether BA will allow opting out of 2FA? As mentioned, my concern is if lost / stolen / broken mobile phone then that would be it. I couldn't even use my e-mail account registered with BA because that now has 2FA and needs my phone to authenticate. Personally I would rather not have 2FA on my BA account and still be able to log on from any web enabled PC just using my Exec Club # and Password.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.