Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Two Factor Authentication (2FA) added to Executive Club login

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two Factor Authentication (2FA) added to Executive Club login

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2023, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Has anyone had any success in trying to update their phone number for 2FA? I changed my phone number from UK to US over a year ago, but the 2FA is still stuck going to my old UK number and despite 8 months of contacting BAEC, no one seems to be able to even see what's gone wrong on my account. I'd really appreciate any help anyone can offer (or a redirection to the correct thread) because I'm at my wit's end

Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2023, 10:02 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by mrandery
It only seems to show up when trying to link, no sign of 2FA when doing a regular login!!
That seems to be how it is, and how it is intended to be. Therefore:

Originally Posted by mgrappy
Has anyone had any success in trying to update their phone number for 2FA? I changed my phone number from UK to US over a year ago, but the 2FA is still stuck going to my old UK number and despite 8 months of contacting BAEC, no one seems to be able to even see what's gone wrong on my account. I'd really appreciate any help anyone can offer (or a redirection to the correct thread) because I'm at my wit's end
What problems is this causing? Are you trying to link your BAEC to QR or similar?
Old Nov 6, 2023, 10:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I had this too - for no apparent reason the BA login was wanting to set up a 2FA for my account. However, when scanning the QR code it seemed to link through to a spam 'you've been infected with a virus' site. backtracked from that, and haven't been asked for 2FA again (yet).
Old Nov 6, 2023, 10:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by :D!
What problems is this causing? Are you trying to link your BAEC to QR or similar?
Yep, the main problem previously was that I tried to link my BAEC to QR. That was annoying but not that big a deal. However, the bigger/acute problem is now that I can't transfer Avios to another BAEC member.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by BA or bust
Oooer! Another level of IT complexity added to something that often falls over. Does not bode well, however good the intentions.
I disagree. This is long overdue and one of the simplest layers of protection to prevent account fraud.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by linz36
I just linked my uber and BA accounts, and BA asked me to set up 2FA in the process. The options are SMS or One-Time-Password (OTP) via an app. Is that new? It is quite a substantial security improvement, but I am sure it will be annoying if I have to use it frequently. BA never keeps me logged in on browsers.
Even more impressive, at one point last month it asked me to create a passkey when logging into shopping.ba.com so I assumed they were testing something!

Less impressive is that I've never been asked to use that passkey since it was created... but baby steps!
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by BillyBleach
This is long overdue and one of the simplest layers of protection to prevent account fraud.
Quite right. However, to make it useful, they actually need to ask for the 2FA at login.

Asking users to set it up and then never asking for it, as the BA website does now, doesn't do anything to improve security.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 10:29 am

My EC Rewards app wants me to log in about half the times I open it. Sometimes biometric login works, sometimes after the biometric I get redirected to webpage to enter my BA login and occasionally after that I'm directed to next page to enter a code sent via SMS. That's 3FA?
Old Nov 7, 2023, 11:39 am

...just MFA...
flyslow likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Simonp27
I would much prefer they fix listing of upcoming bookings, a relatively easy bit of programming that has been broken for months.
This has been explained on here many times, and it’s not a relatively easy bit of programming, at least not for BA to fix. Your bookings are held in an Amadeus system, and it’s a latency issue with that system that means the ‘upcoming bookings’ list doesn’t always load. BA could throw a thousand IT people at it, but they still wouldn’t be able to fix it without the third party.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite
Another great 'enhancement', NOT!

Yesterday I created a passkey for my iPhone, all seemed OK.

Today, I needed access to BAEC on my laptop as my phone was offline. I was prompted to log in using 2FA great except the passkey is for the mobile and the obvious backup method is SMS which, as my phone was offline I could not use!

Thoughts on this 'enhancement' ?
Old Nov 9, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Confus
This has been explained on here many times, and it’s not a relatively easy bit of programming, at least not for BA to fix. Your bookings are held in an Amadeus system, and it’s a latency issue with that system that means the ‘upcoming bookings’ list doesn’t always load. BA could throw a thousand IT people at it, but they still wouldn’t be able to fix it without the third party.
.... and some kind of enormous cache. Even if not 100% real time it would be far, far better than it is at the moment (unless, that is you actually want to interact with the booking in any way)
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Confus
I will take you at your word (particularly with respect to it being discussed many times), but what I will say is, as a customer, I have frequent flyer accounts with a good number of programs and I can't recall any other program that I've ever booked a ticket with (paid or award) that seems to be unable to display my booking to me with such inconsistency.

So while I'll accept that this is the way it is, it just seems like yet another area where this airline seems to be continually comfortable with mediocrity and lagging the back...

Regards
ijgordon and leelapa like this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite
... and now it's been turned off!

(I double-checked this on a private browser, yep it's disabled)
Old Nov 9, 2023, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Nick_USA
Today, I needed access to BAEC on my laptop as my phone was offline. I was prompted to log in using 2FA great except the passkey is for the mobile and the obvious backup method is SMS which, as my phone was offline I could not use!
All 2FA is authenticated using a different device. The reason is, it adds an extra layer of security as you need to use your phone - which you and only you have access to - to unlock. So you must have your phone to use 2FA. That's how the process has always worked.

Some implement a fail safe such as sending an email rather than a message though. Or both. I think email is less secure though as you end up using the same device to both login and authenticate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.