Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Quick lounge question: is T5B better than north/south Galleries lounges? Worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick lounge question: is T5B better than north/south Galleries lounges? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2023, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

I have a flight out of T5 tomorrow to JFK (BA113). I usually fly out of T3 on AA but this time with BA. I am not at a familiar with T5 and find the lounges confusing.

I’ll have access to the galleries / J lounges and I see that BA 113 usually leaves from B or C gates. From what I read online, when flying out of those gates it’s easier to just use the T5B lounge. Is this correct?
Is this lounge any better or worse than the north or south lounges? I just read that it’s recently been retouched but can get crowded like the other lounges?
thanks
Old Nov 2, 2023, 2:25 pm

Yes it’s better, it’s busy but usually quieter than the A Club lounges, and the refurbishment means it’s nicer too. Your flight is most likely to be B or C but it’s possible it’s still A - if necessary you can walk back through a tunnel (accessed through the nearest lift to the lounge entrance).
Old Nov 2, 2023, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Confus
Yes it’s better, it’s busy but usually quieter than the A Club lounges, and the refurbishment means it’s nicer too. Your flight is most likely to be B or C but it’s possible it’s still A - if necessary you can walk back through a tunnel (accessed through the nearest lift to the lounge entrance).
But if you do have to go back to the A gates then do not get on the transit - you need to use the tunnels.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by TheChangingMan
But if you do have to go back to the A gates then do not get on the transit - you need to use the tunnels.
There is a transit?
Old Nov 6, 2023, 3:59 am

If it's an A gate it means a bus to the plane with no assistance and little boarding priority.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bayswater1944
If it's an A gate it means a bus to the plane with no assistance and little boarding priority.
it was a C gate luckily. Lounge was nice and quiet
Old Nov 6, 2023, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by NickRivas
Is this lounge any better or worse than the north or south lounges? I just read that it’s recently been retouched but can get crowded like the other lounges?
thanks
If you fly out of T5B use the B lounge. It's definitely a little better than the T5A lounges, but not enough where I'd go over just to use T5B and then walk back to A. But if you fly from B, yes, definitely, use it. Absolute no-brainer.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think it totally comes down to what you are looking for.

Ease is north/south + first lounge (especially as they are right after security)
Quietness + space is T5B
Food + Drink is T5B (as usually no fight to the death has occurred for the last dry fishcake)
Old Nov 6, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold | Hilton Honors - Gold
Originally Posted by acearchie
I think it totally comes down to what you are looking for.

Ease is north/south + first lounge (especially as they are right after security)
Quietness + space is T5B
Food + Drink is T5B (as usually no fight to the death has occurred for the last dry fishcake)
Careful with Tortilla Chips in T5B, I cracked a filling biting into one. (I wish I was joking)
Old Nov 6, 2023, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Wait, there's a pedestrian tunnel??? Is it only accessible one-way. Can one go from A to B using it?

As for the 5B lounge. I've always found this lounge to be less crowded than the others. But I only use it if I have a short connection before my flight back to the States. Otherwise, I always go to the Galleries First lounge.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Wait, there's a pedestrian tunnel??? Is it only accessible one-way. Can one go from A to B using it?

As for the 5B lounge. I've always found this lounge to be less crowded than the others. But I only use it if I have a short connection before my flight back to the States. Otherwise, I always go to the Galleries First lounge.
I *accidentally* went down to the tunnel and it only made it more confusing. There’s hardly anyone there and it’s eerie. The way towards B/C gates has moving walkways but not the way back.

and yes I imagine if I had access to the GF lounge I’d use it, but this peasant only has access to J lounges
Old Nov 6, 2023, 11:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by NickRivas
I *accidentally* went down to the tunnel and it only made it more confusing. There’s hardly anyone there and it’s eerie. The way towards B/C gates has moving walkways but not the way back.

and yes I imagine if I had access to the GF lounge I’d use it, but this peasant only has access to J lounges
There are two tunnels. The one on the Departures side has moving walkways going in the direction of the B and C gates. The one on the arrivals side has moving walkways going in the direction of the A gates.
KARFA likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 1:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is a guide to the two sets of passageways

LHR Terminal 5 passageways - a pictorial guide for departing passengers

LHR Terminal 5 passageways - a pictorial guide for arriving passengers
crazy8534, Fatdickie and DeathSlam like this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by bayswater1944
Not necessarily. My last JFK was a jetbridge departure from A18.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.