Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

25 Oct : BA219 LHR-DEN returns to Heathrow, 2 hours out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2023, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

My sister just texted that her flight, BA 219, turned back to Heathrow from its Heathrow to Denver flight today due to a technical issue 2 hours in flight. Of course, I am happy that they made the necessary call on the flight. However, I have not ever flown BA myself, while she is at Heathrow, there is not much "next step" communication going on. Passenger talk is that perhaps they will be rebooked tomorrow, perhaps they will be put up at a hotel. I have experienced cancellations and diverted flights on other airlines, but the "next steps" varied greatly. Any knowledge of standard procedure with BA? I'd appreciate any experience you can share.
A point of information: Airline.net reports that there was a "hydraulic issue".

Last edited by KCalla; Oct 25, 2023 at 12:31 pm Reason: update
Old Oct 25, 2023, 12:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would expect a next day rebooking now. As soon as that decision is made, book your own hotel, unless you're happy to go to Renaissance. Plus make your own arrangements for supper, and claim. And don't use the Hoppa bus! Just make your own way to passport control and sort yourself out, don't join queues unless you enjoy being in a queue. Longer version here, you can rely on the information provided here:

Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know

Edit: it looks like a cancel to me, if so, check the app for rebooking options, calling up if you don't like them.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Further news, they have had some communication now that they will be taken to a hotel and rebooked. So that is great. I jumped on this forum to see if I needed to track down a hotel for her. BA sounds more organized on this than my experience on some other airlines over the years. Hope it all goes smoothly for her and the other passengers.
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you corporate-wage-slave! I will send her this information!

Edited: The links that you provided have been really helpful. Thank you again.
testycal and mikeyfly like this.

Last edited by KCalla; Oct 25, 2023 at 1:21 pm Reason: update
Old Oct 25, 2023, 12:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KCalla
Further news, they have had some communication now that they will be taken to a hotel and rebooked. So that is great. I jumped on this forum to see if I needed to track down a hotel for her. BA sounds more organized on this than my experience on some other airlines over the years. Hope it all goes smoothly for her and the other passengers.
If they aren't a regular flyer then I can see some advantages, but usually it's best to DIY, as per the thread above.
Markie, KCalla, Lefly and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Also a tech fault means full UK261 compensation, which will be £520 per passenger, on top of hotel expenses and reasonable right to care costs (food, drink, but not alcohol).
KCalla and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, bisonrav!
Old Oct 25, 2023, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The problem with DIY is that you have to cash flow for weeks, possibly months, if someone was budget driven, you are best to wait for the airline to sort your hotel and other needs.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
The problem with DIY is that you have to cash flow for weeks, possibly months, if someone was budget driven, you are best to wait for the airline to sort your hotel and other needs.
I had a flight go tech at the very last minute ten days ago (literally as we were about to start boarding). It meant a hotel booking at 9.30pm, a host of related expenses, plus EU261 compensation. I filed the claim on the Monday; I had an email on the Weds agreeing the entire claim; the money was in my bank on the Friday. I'm GGL and perhaps we get shoved to the head of the queue, but it was impressive.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 1:55 pm

My husband was due on the inbound from Denver- been rebooked for tomorrow. Told to sort out his own hotel and reclaim
KCalla and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Hopefully, my sister has also been rebooked. I sent her the information posted here. Hope that she has gotten sorted on a hotel, or will soon. Thanks for everyone's help!
Old Oct 25, 2023, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m not sure if she has already been rebooked and showing in the figures but tomorrows flight is now full.
But if she isn’t both ORD flights have plenty of seats.
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Can I help you! I have only heard back that she has headed for a hotel. I'm guessing that she rebooked before leaving the airport, but I will send her this information.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all! She is in a hotel and booked on tomorrow's flight. Whew! We know so much more now about situations like this because of all of you sharing knowledge!
Old Oct 25, 2023, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Seriously??
If you are that budget constrained then you shouldn't be spending money on travel, and should be funding your emergency fund.
chris63, SFO777 and Crazy Dave like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.