Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I made a terrible mistake booking Qatar J longhaul.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2023, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Just coming back from a week away in MLE. Booked in J with Qatar Airways for the first time, as a BA Exec Silver - so I get the tier points.

Utterly gobsmacked by the facilities in Doha. I know the T5 Heathrow lounges felt crowded, cramped and dingy before - but now it’s going to be even worse.

Every time I go through LHR I’m going to be thinking of that Qatar flight, the clean aircraft, great service and excellent airport.

Totally ruined the BA experience for me now.

Please don’t make the same mistake!
Old Oct 29, 2023, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Yes, scary isn't it! We flew QR to CPT once, and found the entire experience quite amazing.

So this is Qatar Airways? UK-South Africa with QR (and a bit of BA).
becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:08 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Absolutely hear this - having been lucky enough to do quite a few runs to Australia / NZ in BA First and Club World, we were absolutely amazed when we did a trip with Emirates out Qantas back in First - absolutely massive step up. If only they did the domestics, Europe and North American runs!!!
Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Oh dear, this won't end well. The BA cheerleaders will be along soon to tell you how wrong you are. Here's a few to start :-

- Subsidised airline, BA can't compete
- Poorly trained pilots - their safety record is terrible
- Robotic staff
- Terrible human rights
- You're funding terrorism

Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:19 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Yes, it’s astonishing what you can achieve as an airline when you don’t have to turn a profit, isn’t it? Maybe IAG’s biggest shareholder could open its chequebook wider to improve things at BA. Oh hang on a minute, it’s QR…

I’m all for knocking BA when they get stuff wrong, but comparing LHR with DOH or indeed BA with QR is just childish. They may as well operate on different planets economically. And yet BA survives, because QR don’t fly from the UK to the US…

sigh…
hsmall likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:20 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Oh dear, this won't end well. The BA cheerleaders will be along soon to tell you how wrong you are. Here's a few to start :-

- Subsidised airline, BA can't compete
- Poorly trained pilots - their safety record is terrible
- Robotic staff
- Terrible human rights
- You're funding terrorism

That last one is a bit of a sticky wicket given QR owns 25% of IAG. So 4 sectors on BA and you're also sponsoring the same terrorism...

There was another good one yesterday, by a poster pleading for a detractor to fly BA more to prop up their own IAG shareholding, although I suspect that might have been a bit tongue in cheek.

Either way, it's always 5pm somewhere in the world, so I am going to fetch the 🍿
DYKWIA, oxfordjames, ttama and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:24 am

Yep, I managed a few J trips to Oz with QR and it ranks for me as the very best in that class. Food was plentiful, enjoyable and I love being able to order what I want, when I want. And the crew, although a little robotic are extremely efficient and very pleasant.

Clean aircraft, massive lounge with terrific showers (although you need to get there fast to book one) and I love the Q-suites. Although the bar on the 380 is also a great touch.

I honestly could not fault them, although there will be those who have had sub-par experiences for whatever reason. I just wish their prices ex-EU were back to pre-covid levels as they are now among the most expensive options.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:28 am

They are indeed pleasant to fly with. But try getting seats with avios without paying double. I have given up for my next return and have booked BA from SIN.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:29 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by ratechaser
That last one is a bit of a sticky wicket given QR owns 25% of IAG. So 4 sectors on BA and you're also sponsoring the same terrorism...

There was another good one yesterday, by a poster pleading for a detractor to fly BA more to prop up their own IAG shareholding, although I suspect that might have been a bit tongue in cheek.

Either way, it's always 5pm somewhere in the world, so I am going to fetch the 🍿
It is a sticky wicket, but nonetheless true. Indeed the Qataris also own a good slice of LHR. I just seek to minimise any indirect funding of the Qataris and avoid any direct.....but that's my choice.
ijgordon, bafan and Aurelian like this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:31 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by rapidex
They are indeed pleasant to fly with. But try getting seats with avios without paying double. I have given up for my next return and have booked BA from SIN.
I was able to get MAN-DOH return a couple of weeks back for the F1. Bargain at 86K Avios + £350.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by jmd

I’m all for knocking BA when they get stuff wrong, but comparing LHR with DOH or indeed BA with QR is just childish. They may as well operate on different planets economically.
Why? Both are advertising a premium experience in their higher class of travel. LHR promotes itself as a world class, world leading airport. Yes, both airlines are funded in a different way however that shouldn't stifle the opportunity to compare. Facts of the matter are clear with the hard product, the food and the way it is presented to the end user - me.

The crew's humour and human touch are the only areas for me where BA have it over much of the opposition. It's a pity they are hampered by the management and BA's customer service in not being able to offer the best in a premium product, because Club Suites are now a very good alternative.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:50 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Why? Both are advertising a premium experience in their higher class of travel. LHR promotes itself as a world class, world leading airport. Yes, both airlines are funded in a different way however that shouldn't stifle the opportunity to compare. Facts of the matter are clear with the hard product, the food and the way it is presented to the end user - me.

The crew's humour and human touch are the only areas for me where BA have it over much of the opposition. It's a pity they are hampered by the management and BA's customer service in not being able to offer the best in a premium product, because Club Suites are now a very good alternative.
Because QR and BA are a different size, serve different markets, have a staff base which is very different culturally (and which is subject to totally different employment law and conditions), and are funded in a totally different way? And because LHR is on a tightly constrained site in west London with increasingly creaking infrastructure?

Let me be clear - I’m not saying that you can’t compare BA and QR’s service or product objectively. My point is that doing so without acknowledging why the differences exist seems to me to be a childish exercise.

The fact is QR could change BA’s management if they wanted to. I wonder why they don’t?
NickB, halls120, HIDDY and 3 others like this.

Last edited by jmd; Oct 29, 2023 at 4:58 am Reason: Typos
Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Can't disagree. Heading to SA, Middle East or India then QR MAN/DOH then on is an easy choice.....
​​​
Old Oct 29, 2023, 5:19 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, talk of links to terrorism are wholly inappropriate for any airline forum, and it's extremely disappointing that anyone should even open the discussion on that here. Take it to OMNI/PR, please.

/mod
Old Oct 29, 2023, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by jmd
Yes, it’s astonishing what you can achieve as an airline when you don’t have to turn a profit, isn’t it?
None of this matters to the passenger at the point of enjoyment, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.