Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A Farewell to British Airways and the Exec Club After 25 Years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2023, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

It’s with a heavy heart that I write this post today. After 25 years of loyal patronage, I am parting ways with British Airways and the Executive Club. I have been a vocal supporter of the airline for years, but a culmination of issues has left me deeply disillusioned.

One of my key frustrations has been a noticeable decline in the quality of service. Whether it’s changes to inflight services, increasing delays, or declining customer support, the airline just doesn’t seem to maintain the high standards I once admired.

However, the final straw has been the recent change to the Executive Club tier and mileage points collection system. The new model seems tailored for employees who don’t personally purchase their tickets and don’t have a choice in who they fly with, effectively sidelining small businesses and individual travellers like myself.

This shift not only ignores a significant customer base but also undermines the very notion of a “loyalty” programme. A loyalty scheme should aim to reward customers for their commitment, irrespective of the size of their business or personal travel budget.

For my future travels, I have decided to give my business to Virgin Atlantic for flights heading west and Emirates for flights going east. Both airlines have exceptional frequent flyer schemes that are not only rewarding but also incredibly flexible.

Once my remaining Executive Club miles are spent, I will be cancelling my membership once and for all. It’s unfortunate to end a relationship that’s spanned over two decades, but as a customer, it’s crucial to recognise when it’s time to move on.

Thank you for the memories, British Airways, but it’s time to say goodbye.
SK, roberto99, jmj9905 and 21 others like this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
How much do you travel and how often on short haul? Who will you use instead? If it’s regular, I’d definitely maintain silver at least.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by mikeyfly; Oct 20, 2023 at 4:35 pm
Old Oct 20, 2023, 4:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
"Goodbye, Cruel Airline!"

[There have been no changes to Tier Point accrual, btw].
Old Oct 20, 2023, 4:31 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
May I ask how many TPs you've earned in those 25 years? Because if you've been gold for most of those you could be OWE for life.

And if you're still far from gold for life, it's always interesting to see if the grass is actually greener elsewhere. Please do report back!
HIDDY, lsquare, mikeyfly and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 4:44 pm

Programs: Some
Skywards is an appalling frequent flyer scheme that keeps getting worse, you are in for a shock if you think it's better than BAEC! The reason I'm increasing loyal to EK is the onboard product, not the FFP.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 5:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Welcome. Rather a shame that after 25 years with BAEC you’ve only just now discovered FT and we’re already saying goodbye.

Originally Posted by Rich4423
For my future travels, I have decided to give my business to Virgin Atlantic for flights heading west and Emirates for flights going east. Both airlines have exceptional frequent flyer schemes that are not only rewarding but also incredibly flexible.
For the curious, who’ll get your business for Europe, domestic UK, and all the places that these 2 airlines don’t fly to, but BA do ?
Old Oct 20, 2023, 5:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
I understand.

I am currently BA Gold until January but decided last year not to renew and this year have flown BA only once on a paid flight to BLQ and on an Avios flight to GLA. I will maintain bronze when I soft land in two years to use the business check in.

In the meantime I’ve flown business in LATAM, Oman (stunning), Qatar, Etihad, Finnair and Singapore and the experience has been miles better than BA Club World.

The new freedom to choose different carriers has also been unexpectedly liberating.

Yes I will miss the First Wing access but not the GF lounge which on my (last ever) visit a few weeks ago had enhanced away most of the liqueurs from the bar and was serving the world’s smallest pies or flavoured minced meats with rice to its premium customers.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 5:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
OP, would you be able to share why you chose EK rather than QR?

If you did most of you east flying on QR then you could maintain you exec status and hardly ever step on board a ba plane
MaxFlyer and cargueiro like this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Rich4423
Once my remaining Executive Club miles are spent, I will be cancelling my membership once and for all. It’s unfortunate to end a relationship that’s spanned over two decades, but as a customer, it’s crucial to recognise when it’s time to move on.

Thank you for the memories, British Airways, but it’s time to say goodbye.
I get moving your flying to another airline, but why cancel the membership? What if there's a flight you'd like and there's a redemption option (BA can transfer points from several CCs) or there happens to be a domestic or short haul flight where BA is the best option based on schedule? Not like you pay an annual fee to keep the exec club membership and as alex67500 pointed out after 25 years surely you'd have a decent pile of lifetime tier points (which as also pointed out accrual for tier points isn't changing, just Avios). Canceling your membership just seems a bit extreme, perhaps an emotional response, and doesn't really have any upside for you but could have quite a big downside. Maybe worth sleeping on that one...
Old Oct 20, 2023, 6:40 pm

Is there actually a way of canceling membership in the BAEC? If so, what is the point and what does it achieve. Dramatic effect?
Old Oct 20, 2023, 6:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Is there actually a way of canceling membership in the BAEC? If so, what is the point and what does it achieve. Dramatic effect?
Yes and it involves the ceremonial cutting in half of the physical card which the OP may find therapeutic.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
Yes and it involves the ceremonial cutting in half of the physical card which the OP may find therapeutic.
😂
Football Fan and oceanscape like this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If other airlines can offer what you want then it makes sense to give them your business. I've been flying BA since I was a nipper...it was called BEA back in the 60's. I still like them a lot but I don't get all teary-eyed if I have to fly with another airline.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 8:47 pm

OK I guess, thanks?!

Oh, and welcome to FT, someone will be by soon to greet you more succinctly
Old Oct 20, 2023, 9:22 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
OP - Sadly it's just change and one has to live with it. In the good old days I could collect "air miles" - fly first class round the world for £3K and end up with enough miles to fly on Concorde.

I travel CAI-MIA in a few weeks in J for $2.3k USD - it will earn me 38K miles and the new scheme will not be kind to me in this respect but it was good whilst it lasted and I will continue as BA's product is fine for me (and we won't mention the A320 on the Cairo route).

As has been pointed out above, EK Skywards is the worst by a country mile (IMHO) - even as a Gold Member it's hard to collect enough miles for a decent reward and EK like BA and most airlines wants you to earn rewards through more than just flying (unless you pay decent fares) hence the lower earnings driving you towards subscription purchases, credits cards etc
cargueiro, nancypants and becks1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.