Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone have any real business in SOF? 😂

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2023, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver
Anyone have any real business in SOF? 😂

It would appear that this afternoon’s flight to the charming city of Sofia seems to be entirely populated with people with an interest in the architecture of orthodox cathedrals. Cathedral tourism is seriously misunderstood. Ask any KGB field officer.
The TPs are of course irrelevant.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 9:09 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I'm there in a month, entirely coincidentally on the last weekend of my year.

Please share any tips .

I'd hope people would spend some time in the city - it's a very interesting place, with many different influences over the centuries.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 9:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Maybe we have different definitions of "real business"

In any case, it only takes me a few minutes to drop off the diamonds
Old Oct 7, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
A TP run is VERY serious real business for a truly dedicated FTer!

Last edited by BA or bust; Oct 8, 2023 at 1:15 am
Old Oct 7, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
My first trip there ( 1980's) was to discover that I could not do business there.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 10:22 am

I have made 4 trips there in the last 2 weeks! Another couple of trips in 2 weeks time and the gold should be mine again!
Markie likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 11:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I'm there in a month, entirely coincidentally on the last weekend of my year.

Please share any tips .

I'd hope people would spend some time in the city - it's a very interesting place, with many different influences over the centuries.
As mentioned, the cathedrals are nice and there is an archaeological museum. Affordable national theater (opera & ballet) in season. Vitosha mountain has great views over the city and decent skiing in the winter. Plovdiv, one of Bulgaria's historical capitals and the 2019 European capital of culture, is about a two hour drive.
TRISTAR1979 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 11:33 am
Original Poster

About 12 rows of CE - and some even appear have no TP matters to attend to. This is to be deprecated as they appear not to understand the real purpose of the LHR SOF route in the BA schedule.
Having breakfasted on champagne early this morning inbound from BER before a full and formal review of the T3 lounges (I made the transfer from T5 ground side for a little variety) I’m now happily and sleepily ensconced in the Best Western airport hotel before tomorrow’s return to the sybaritic delights of T5. As ever CX is the T3 default although the salmon & poached egg combo at QF takes some beating.
A city centre breakfast is the plan before heading back on the metro to SOF. I vaguely recall an indifferent lounge but perhaps others can enlighten us.
Outbound menu for info. The chicken was meh.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 12:04 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
As mentioned, the cathedrals are nice and there is an archaeological museum. Affordable national theater (opera & ballet) in season. Vitosha mountain has great views over the city and decent skiing in the winter. Plovdiv, one of Bulgaria's historical capitals and the 2019 European capital of culture, is about a two hour drive.
You read my mind
I am going for three days as part of a TP run \ BA Holiday.
Tour is booked to Plovdiv, Vitosha will be ascended by the cable car, staying at the Hilton which is right in the middle of the main museum district and next to the theatre (although there is nothing I want to see on when I am there).
I'll book a few nice meals while I am there and bobs your uncle. (Or Uncle Bulgaria if you prefer).
Old Oct 7, 2023, 12:06 pm

...chicken in lobster sauce?? ...who dreams this crap up??
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 1:03 pm

Question on the Sofia Tier point run. If I arrive into Sofia at 7:05PM, do you think I could get the return flight to London at 8:05PM the same day? It’s 1 hour between landing and departing. Would be on the same aircraft. Will I make it or is it too tight? Will they question it?
Old Oct 7, 2023, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by BAJames
Question on the Sofia Tier point run. If I arrive into Sofia at 7:05PM, do you think I could get the return flight to London at 8:05PM the same day? It’s 1 hour between landing and departing. Would be on the same aircraft. Will I make it or is it too tight? Will they question it?
This is known as a 'back-to'back' round these parts and there is a whole thread dedicated to them, in which very recent posts will confirm it is very simple to do at SOF.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 1:13 pm

Yes its very easy.I did just this on Tuesday & Thursday this week. As long as you have checked in and obtained your boarding pass for the return journey then it is very smooth. You would even have time for a quick visit to the lounge or a look around duty free before boarding the same aircraft back to LHR. I think so many of us are now doing B2B on this route that even the crews are no longer surprised.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

I’m appalled at the lack of interest in Bulgarian orthodox cathedrals. I suggest you hire a car for five days and drive in circles around them to fully appreciate their myriad delights.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by BA or bust
A TP run is VERY serious real business for truly dedicated FTer!
Originally Posted by Mike Skyflier
I have made 4 trips there in the last 2 weeks! Another couple of trips in 2 weeks time and the gold should be mine again!
Now THAT'S some serious business!!
Mike Skyflier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.