Wiki Posts
Search

Stranded at LAX [BA booking not ticketed]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2023, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Stranded at LAX [BA booking not ticketed]

So…. Had a ticket June 8 for my flight. Now I’m at the gate and ticket not issued. They offered me to pay for a new ticket. I had a seat assignment and all.

options?
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by 47Chits
So…. Had a ticket June 8 for my flight. Now I’m at the gate and ticket not issued. They offered me to pay for a new ticket. I had a seat assignment and all.

options?
Unclear what is going on. How did you get to the gate without a boarding pass?

When your ticket was issued, did you get a ticket number? Did you show it to the agent?
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Sorry to hear this. I assume your payment was taken at the time and there was no issue with the credit card used?

Provided you had a reasonable belief that the reservation was in good order, which it sounds like you did, and the flight is with BA to the UK, then the relevant UK261 protections will apply. Relevant thread here. You will be due duty of care and likely around €600 compensation and you should be rebooked on the next available flight but you will need to contact BA to do this. Have you called the GGL line?

Misery for you, sorry to hear. If you can prove you have paid for the original flight then the easiest thing may be to buy a new ticket and claim back afterwards. I would expect a quick repayment but who knows and obviously if this means buying an e.g. walk-up F fare then I would just make sure it is on the same credit card as the original reservation. It is possible you may end up in some kind of formal dispute with BA to resolve everything (e.g. CEDR or MCOL (UK small claims court)).

Edit: when c-w-s wakes up you will get much better and more definitive guidance than I have managed to muster, hopefully his rooster sees the sun soon!

Last edited by crazy8534; Sep 27, 2023 at 10:40 pm
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zrs70
Unclear what is going on. How did you get to the gate without a boarding pass?

When your ticket was issued, did you get a ticket number? Did you show it to the agent?
there was no ticket number. I got here 5 hours early from a connecting. Then they closed the gate and I couldn’t get on. Points and card credited June 8. Even had the boarding check in message but I assumed it glitched since they needed to see my passport
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:56 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
there was no ticket number. I got here 5 hours early from a connecting. Then they closed the gate and I couldn’t get on. Points and card credited June 8. Even had the boarding check in message but I assumed it glitched since they needed to see my passport
What have the GGL team said? Did you not visit the lounge pre-flight, or the BA agent in the Club Lounge to obtain a boarding pass?
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Sep 27, 2023 at 11:01 pm
Old Sep 27, 2023, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
What have the GGL team said?
on hold with GGL now.

American flight leaves in an hour. They asked for 2-3 hours (GGL) to look into it. I’m tempted to just buy the new ticket. But then I’m stranded on my return as well potentially I assume.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 11:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
The GGL team will resolve this for you, it sounds like a credit card issue. Did you use a GUF on this or make some other change?
Old Sep 27, 2023, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The GGL team will resolve this for you, it sounds like a credit card issue. Did you use a GUF on this or make some other change?
They just refunded my points/credit card and offered me a $12000 ticket tomorrow. Im just asking to be at my destination for the same points/cost. Not seeing why I can’t be issues the same points/cost combo when I did nothing to miss my flight. Not happy….
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 11:16 pm

They just refunded my points/credit card and offered me a $12000 ticket tomorrow. Im just asking to be at my destination for the same points/cost. Not seeing why I can’t be issues the same points/cost combo when I did nothing to miss my flight. Not happy….
That is absolutely not correct. Assuming you are speaking to the India team I would give up and wait two hours for the UK team to come online and hopefully they can get you rebooked for tomorrow.
becks1 and Coffeemadman like this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spanishflea
That is absolutely not correct. Assuming you are speaking to the India team I would give up and wait two hours for the UK team to come online and hopefully they can get you rebooked for tomorrow.
I agree, I was floored. They just gave me a temporary booking for tomorrow under the same conditions, I just have to wait 2 hours for the UK office to issue the ticket. So now I’m ticketless again, but have a new booking.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I’m trying to understand the details. When you say “points” was this Avios? Something else? Can you give a few more details of how this was booked otherwise?

As you say, you’ll f you just booked an avios ticket, all was debited and confirmed then really I don’t see what excuse they have to deny boarding just because they didn’t issue the ticket. The refund option is not good enough. If this was purchased differently, there is a risk the issue may have been with whatever sale channel was used and it could become more complicated.

And what’s your plan pragmatically? Is this a trip you have to take or could just cancel? Surely if you must take it there may be more affordable options than 12k even if it means other airlines and travel classes??
Old Sep 28, 2023, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I’m trying to understand the details. When you say “points” was this Avios? Something else? Can you give a few more details of how this was booked otherwise?

As you say, you’ll f you just booked an avios ticket, all was debited and confirmed then really I don’t see what excuse they have to deny boarding just because they didn’t issue the ticket. The refund option is not good enough. If this was purchased differently, there is a risk the issue may have been with whatever sale channel was used and it could become more complicated.

And what’s your plan pragmatically? Is this a trip you have to take or could just cancel? Surely if you must take it there may be more affordable options than 12k even if it means other airlines and travel classes??
It’s a personal trip, I have a safari starting the next day in Uganda. I would lose the cost of it (18k), so would love to make it.

GGL admitted it was an error on their end. They now have a series of flights held that can take me through to my final stop. Waiting for the UK office to open for the repayment.

This part is what is frustrating as they called the AA direct to London some 15 minutes ago (AA let me into the lounge ticketless to wait for the GGL call)

Sorry, was a bit frustrated and emotional a few hours ago. I booked it with Avios and paid the taxes. Checked my credit card and Avois account. Both debited in June.

I feel kind of like Tom Hanks in the Terminal right now….
Old Sep 28, 2023, 12:05 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
And totally separately, I think there have been a few serious issues with ticketing of late. I have heard some people having issues but I also had a big ne myself a couple of weeks ago and was also nearly denied boarding at lhr on my last connecting flight after flying 5 sectors but with a final rerouting due to an irrop. This was resolved minutes before boarding closed after a fairly heated discussion on the phone (despite two people in the ccr help desk explaining the situation to their colleague in every detail and seeking resolution).
ermis177, becks1 and Coffeemadman like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 12:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I don't think taking a refund on the original booking is the right approach here, it simply makes it harder to get the flight at the previous price and be compensated etc.
As I said originally, my choice would have been, if all else fails, buy a new ticket, not refund the original one, and fight it out with BA afterwards.
Markie, orbitmic, KARFA and 7 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 12:10 am

Sorry, was a bit frustrated and emotional a few hours ago. I booked it with Avios and paid the taxes. Checked my credit card and Avois account. Both debited in June.….
Thanks for confirming. Their position sounds absolutely untenable to me and after this is hopefully resolved and you’ve had a chance to enjoy the big 5, I’d seek ec261 denied boarding compensation and comment on how unhappy I was with the situation with a few polite but firm choice words. This is not on and again I’m worried of a few coincidental experience and reports on f similar issues of late.
BearX220, ermis177, becks1 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.